Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support Arizona's 1070 bill?
Yes 193 73.11%
No 66 25.00%
I don't know 5 1.89%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 05:48 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,221,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
You are rolling your eyes at me? That's laughable.

I have a B.A. in Anthropology with a History minor and I'm working on my grad degree.

I would venture to say that I'm VERY well versed in what has come before present time. There is someone here who is historically ignorant, but honey--it ain't me.

I'm well aware what happened before the Holocaust. But for you to even think that the illegal alien situation in this country is comparable to the persecution and wanton murder of over six million people simply boggles the intelligent mind.
Well, ya must've flunked English because I NEVER compared those two things...and an intelligent mind should've been able to comprehend that.

And ya never read that quote, did you?

BTW, when posters start listing their "education"/credits/degrees...I think of those who claim really loud what good Christian people they are...and I automatically know they aren't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 05:59 PM

1,747 posts, read 1,958,737 times
ILLEGAL Immigration Reform is just the tip of the iceberg, IMHO and this new law in AZ is really stirring the pot up in a big way.
The bitterness and anger over this particular issue is equally as bad as it was over the ramming through of the most unpopular HC reform that the Dems. and BO wanted so bad.

Shoe's on the other foot now and look at the screaming from the Lefties and the CiC himself over Arizona's new kind of reform.
Comical.....yet so sad because of the various ways and means of total division that has resulted among each other......coming to such a head.
We are rapidly becoming a pressure cooker and some may argue that we already are there.

WE.....Americans are rapidly becoming further and further divided and more so in the last year or so......than under any previous administration, or time, I can personally recall and what's happening now in AZ is troubling, despite the need for such reform.
The sheer amount of anger among the populace is most disconcerting.

A major division is occuring.
Sides are being chosen in a way unlike anything since the Vietnam-era, IMO and the lines in the sand are ever-shifting.

This division among ourselves almost seems......like it may be necessary to accomplish something more?

DIVIDE and then conquer, perhaps?

Trying....or hoping the result will be something huge:

A class war? Over wealth re-distribution.
A race war? Over laws passed like this one.
A civil war?
A revolt?
WW3?

All of the above....or just one or two of 'em?

Then....let the cards fall where they will.
ANYTHING to see America FALL.

Maybe.....they figure now is the best time to get this twisted "party" started?

Hell.....any or all of the above would almost certainly please those who would like to take over the helm of this floundering ship.......after all the dust settles and the smoke clears....the former USA.....would still be a prime piece of real estate if there's no radiation to contend with.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:05 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,862,587 times
This is the law:

"For any lawful contact made by a law enforcement official or a law enforcement agency of this state or a county, city, town or other political subdivision of this state where reasonable suspicion exists that the person is an alien who is unlawfully present in the United States, a reasonable attempt shall be made, when practicable, to determine the immigration status of the person."

Too many are focusing on "reasonable suspicion" and not focusing on "lawful contact".

"Lawful contact" means that something must be going on and the police are engaged before they even think about checking into a citizen's or an illegal's status.

“That means the officer is already engaged in some detention of an individual because he’s violated some other law,” says Kris Kobach, a University of Missouri Kansas City Law School professor who helped draft the measure. “The most likely context where this law would come into play is a traffic stop.”

Old 04-27-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
This is the law:

"For any lawful contact made by a law enforcement official or a law enforcement agency of this state or a county, city, town or other political subdivision of this state where reasonable suspicion exists that the person is an alien who is unlawfully present in the United States, a reasonable attempt shall be made, when practicable, to determine the immigration status of the person."

Too many are focusing on "reasonable suspicion" and not focusing on "lawful contact".

"Lawful contact" means that something must be going on and the police are engaged before they even think about checking into a citizen's or an illegal's status.

“That means the officer is already engaged in some detention of an individual because he’s violated some other law,” says Kris Kobach, a University of Missouri Kansas City Law School professor who helped draft the measure. “The most likely context where this law would come into play is a traffic stop.”
Easy enough to understand and I am supportive of it but......to be perfectly honest.......
"Lawful contact" as you say....meaning "something was going on" and the officer(s) were already "engaged" for some other reason or "law violation" can easily occur in a matter of seconds to many a LEO.

Spit on the sidewalk and look like a possible illegal.....contact.
Jaywalk and appear to be here illegally....................contact.
Suspicious person............................................ ....contact.
Driving 56 in a 55 mph zone...................................contact.

Get the picture?

Yeah.....it's another law that can be abused and likely, will be sooner than later.
Then the lawsuits will be a flyin and plenty a lawyer's office raking it in as usual.
SOS.........but it's a result of years of lack of REAL enforcement from the Feds.....and the years of frustration many have felt because of it.
Not to mention the increasingly savage and brutal violence and murders on BOTH sides of the border nowadays......is really freaking more and more people out and rightfully so, IMO.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:25 PM

31,384 posts, read 37,200,985 times
Quote:
Nonsense, it would have been nice if professor Kobach, and included in the statute a definition of "lawful contact" but since he failed to do so, he increased the ambiguity of the statute, not something that the Supreme Court is very fond of.

Under any reading, lawful contact can be read as standing in line behind a suspect at the local Dunk'n Donuts. It can also mean during questioning of witnesses (something that the police are quite concerned about, fearing less cooperation as a result).

Old 04-27-2010, 06:25 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,069,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LASam View Post
The fact that 70% of CD posters are for this amazes me. Are we so easily willing to part with our fourth amendment rights to no search without probable cause? Probable cause is now having a certain skin tone or accent? This bill is UNPATRIOTIC if you believe in this little document called the Bill of Rights... We need to look at the big picture here and not get so caught up on illegal immigration that we are willing to sell our souls to correct it. There has to be a better solution than this.
How can you as a resident of the illegals cesspool LA and not be for this?

Old 04-27-2010, 06:37 PM

53,568 posts, read 35,297,874 times
Quote:
This is the law:

WAAAAYYY too fact-filled for the typical leftwing howler, they'll comtinue to wail insipidly about imaginary 'nazis' and 'racists'

Old 04-27-2010, 06:53 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,944,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sign View Post
Easy enough to understand and I am supportive of it but......to be perfectly honest.......
"Lawful contact" as you say....meaning "something was going on" and the officer(s) were already "engaged" for some other reason or "law violation" can easily occur in a matter of seconds to many a LEO.

Spit on the sidewalk and look like a possible illegal.....contact.
Jaywalk and appear to be here illegally....................contact.
Suspicious person............................................ ....contact.
Driving 56 in a 55 mph zone...................................contact.

Get the picture?

Yeah.....it's another law that can be abused and likely, will be sooner than later.
Then the lawsuits will be a flyin and plenty a lawyer's office raking it in as usual.
SOS.........but it's a result of years of lack of REAL enforcement from the Feds.....and the years of frustration many have felt because of it.
Not to mention the increasingly savage and brutal violence and murders on BOTH sides of the border nowadays......is really freaking more and more people out and rightfully so, IMO.
You don' know anything about police work if you think police will waste their time seeking out illegal's...
They will only bother with them in when neccessary, they have better things to do with their time..
A lot of argueing over nothing... This law as just to draw attention to the corruption of our leadership in the WH. Makes Obama look like the incompetent fool he is..

Old 04-27-2010, 07:25 PM

20,340 posts, read 37,425,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flguy1192 View Post
I am a hispanic (on my Dad's side of the family) and I 100% support this bill. This is something that is FAR overdue, it's about time we did a crackdown to root out illegals and get them out of here. I don't understand why some people are opposed to this. If you're here legally, then you have nothing to worry, but if you're not, you deserved to get arrested and thrown in jail. The next step is to make English the official language and make it a requirement that you know how to speak English to work. The legal people who are "terrified" for their life need to get over themselves, they have nothing to worry about. I honestly don't feel sorry or sympathetic for the illegals AT ALL, they don't deserve to be here.
I too support the bill. Long ago I immigrated to the US and did so legally. I also agree with you about language, and I can attest to it based on my own experiences learning English. The worst impediment to learning English, at least to me, was the Bilingual Program and classes I had to go through. What helped to most was to focus solely on English, and I learned fast.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
You don' know anything about police work if you think police will waste their time seeking out illegal's...
They will only bother with them in when neccessary, they have better things to do with their time..
A lot of argueing over nothing... This law as just to draw attention to the corruption of our leadership in the WH. Makes Obama look like the incompetent fool he is..
Hey....I agree with 'ya and doubt the police will devote sooo much time and effort to seek out the illegals.
And.....I especially agree with the your last paragraph.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration