Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support Arizona's 1070 bill?
Yes 193 73.11%
No 66 25.00%
I don't know 5 1.89%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 04:06 PM

292 posts, read 544,020 times

Advertisements

I am a hispanic (on my Dad's side of the family) and I 100% support this bill. This is something that is FAR overdue, it's about time we did a crackdown to root out illegals and get them out of here. I don't understand why some people are opposed to this. If you're here legally, then you have nothing to worry, but if you're not, you deserved to get arrested and thrown in jail. The next step is to make English the official language and make it a requirement that you know how to speak English to work. The legal people who are "terrified" for their life need to get over themselves, they have nothing to worry about. I honestly don't feel sorry or sympathetic for the illegals AT ALL, they don't deserve to be here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 04:11 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Nope, it gives to much power to law enforcement, without strict guidelines.

My Aunt and Uncle live in Phoenix. He is an American of Hispanic decent. They are pissed, and he is generally worried that if he forgets his drivers license, and walks to Home Depot (two blocks from their house), that he'll get arrested.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:22 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,225,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flguy1192 View Post
I am a hispanic (on my Dad's side of the family) and I 100% support this bill. This is something that is FAR overdue, it's about time we did a crackdown to root out illegals and get them out of here. I don't understand why some people are opposed to this. If you're here legally, then you have nothing to worry,
You do realize that this bill allows the police to search and arrest legal citizens as well.
Quote:
but if you're not, you deserved to get arrested and thrown in jail.
Once again, legal citizens can get arrested and thrown in jail
Quote:
The next step is to make English the official language and make it a requirement that you know how to speak English to work.
So you support government intervention in private business? What if I own a business and I don't care if my employees don't speak English, so as long as they are legal. Would you force me to fire my employees? Sounds like fascism to me.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:32 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times
Quote:
I am a hispanic (on my Dad's side of the family) and I 100% support this bill. This is something that is FAR overdue, it's about time we did a crackdown to root out illegals and get them out of here. I don't understand why some people are opposed to this. If you're here legally, then you have nothing to worry, but if you're not, you deserved to get arrested and thrown in jail. The next step is to make English the official language and make it a requirement that you know how to speak English to work. The legal people who are "terrified" for their life need to get over themselves, they have nothing to worry about. I honestly don't feel sorry or sympathetic for the illegals AT ALL, they don't deserve to be here.
You're 100% right, it's just the lefties looking for another "victim train" to jump on the bandwagon for. That's how they all survive. It's a "host - parasite" type of existence. The illegals and lefties have a symbiotic relationship where they exchange sides between parasite and host depending on which side benefits them the most at the moment.

I am glad this issue is as transparent as crystal to you. I wish everyone could have your clarity.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:43 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
This bill will not target those illegal immigrants who happen to be Canadian, Irish, French, or even Ethiopian....it will target those people (legal or not) who happen to "look" Hispanic (specifically mestizo)

If you happen to look mestizo and you find yourself in Arizona, it would be a good idea to carry your passport with you.

It is very sad that in 2010 we are still subjecting people to the usage of the modern day "slave pass".

Old 04-26-2010, 04:44 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
When the federal governamnt after the 1980's immagration bill failed to enforcement the provesions ;its time the satates took over protecting their citizens . The federal government has had their chance.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:47 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
When the federal governamnt after the 1980's immagration bill failed to enforcement the provesions ;its time the satates took over protecting their citizens . The federal government has had their chance.
Then support a Constitutional amendment to allow states to do just that. Because, as of right now, its only in the power of the Federal government to secure our borders. States can pass no immigration laws, outside of Federal guidelines.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:48 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,328,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
This bill will not target those illegal immigrants who happen to be Canadian, Irish, French, or even Ethiopian....it will target those people (legal or not) who happen to "look" Hispanic (specifically mestizo)

If you happen to look mestizo and you find yourself in Arizona, it would be a good idea to carry your passport with you.

It is very sad that in 2010 we are still subjecting people to the usage of the modern day "slave pass".
Well thank you for stating the obvious. Arizona is suffering from 460K+ Mexican illegals, not Canadian, Irish, French, or Ethiopian illegals.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:50 PM

24,415 posts, read 23,070,474 times
Maybe modify the vote as follows:
Yes I fully support the bill. Arizona has to do something to stop the illegal alien problem.
I think it needs further study, so I am sending Arizona $50 to cover illegal aliens costs to the state. Hospital care,housing, crime, job loss, schooling, etc.
I think it is a bad idea so I am sending Arizona $200 to cover illegal aliens costs to the state.
I am totally opposed to this, so I am sending Arizona $1,000 to cover illegal aliens costs to the state. I'm willing to pay for these people if the citizens of Arizona won't.
That should put things in perspective for most people. Let's see who really opposes this bill or just want to shoot their mouths off.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:54 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
I too am an American of mexican descent (5th generation). I had this very conversation with my Dad over the weekend. As a mexican american who experienced discrimination in so texas, he resents that the pro-bill ppl seem to be racist and very indifferent to ppl of mex descent, citizen or not. He also sees how the illegals (not just of mex descent either) come and take "everything that they can get". Since I lived for 15 years in the healthcare field working with the elderly, I saw first hand how the illegals and their spawn receive FREE gov't services at every turn while elderly who worked here all of their lives (incl MY ppl, the mex americans) and have to pay since they don't qualify for many of the poverty benefits that illegals do. It was a common complaint from many of the elderly mex americans that I served.

If I lived in Ariz, I would not mind this new law and view it as a necessary experiment since the Feds have no interest in helping states deluged with illegals and all of the problems that they cause.

In fact, I would go so far as to say that the giving of Freebies to illegals AND legals has to do with the powers that be pitting the middle class against the poor. This of course keeps the businesses, industrialists etc in business by the huge resentment that is caused. To the State of Ariz, I say
BRING IT ON!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration