Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 11:55 PM

132 posts, read 89,025 times

Advertisements

Foreign-born Latinos are more knowledgeable and have a more positive attitude about the census than U.S.-born Latinos, according to a new Pew Hispanic Research poll released Thursday.Among foreign-born Latinos, 80 percent think that census participation is good for their community, as compared to 57 percent of Latinos born in the United States.
Moreover, more foreign-born Latinos know that the census cannot be used to determine legal status (69 percent) than those born here (57 percent). The poll showed that more Latino immigrants know that the Census Bureau cannot give out personal information by 80 percent to 66 percent of native-born Latinos.

Foreign-born Latinos trust census more - Census 2010- msnbc.com

Gee, they sure are trusting people. If they only knew .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 12:28 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,043,730 times
I'm not suprised. I have seen far more informative commercials about the census in Spanish, than I have seen in English.

Certain networks have decided to spend their own money to educate people regarding the census.

By law their personal information is confidential and there is NOT one question regarding the legal status of person completing the census. If the legal status is not disclosed, how can you insignuate otherwise?

Old 04-01-2010, 10:28 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
I'm not suprised. I have seen far more informative commercials about the census in Spanish, than I have seen in English.

Certain networks have decided to spend their own money to educate people regarding the census.

By law their personal information is confidential and there is NOT one question regarding the legal status of person completing the census. If the legal status is not disclosed, how can you insignuate otherwise?
Unfortunatly that is a question that should have been on the census form.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Unfortunatly that is a question that should have been on the census form.
I understand where you are coming from tinman. We should know how many are here illegally. However, I don't think the census is the right method to obtain that information. The census is mainly for distribution of resources.

If we require the legal status of the those living in the home, many will claim "legal" even if not true. Then some will refuse to complete the form which would then cause the census employers to show up at their homes. How many do you think will actually open the door? Would it be good use of federal money to be used to hunt people down just to get a form completed? How long would this take to get the individual information of the estimated 12 million people? It is my opinion that in the end, it would be counter productive.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:52 AM

It costs less than 50 cents fir postage while it costs us $57.00 per US Census worker, per visit, to come out to the home to get it dompleted.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:51 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Quote:
I understand where you are coming from tinman. We should know how many are here illegally. However, I don't think the census is the right method to obtain that information. The census is mainly for distribution of resources.

If we require the legal status of the those living in the home, many will claim "legal" even if not true. Then some will refuse to complete the form which would then cause the census employers to show up at their homes. How many do you think will actually open the door? Would it be good use of federal money to be used to hunt people down just to get a form completed? How long would this take to get the individual information of the estimated 12 million people? It is my opinion that in the end, it would be counter productive.
Well many of us feel that we should not be distributing resourses based on illegals. Maybe if these sanctuary cities lost these resourses they would do their share to fight illegal immigration.
If they claim legal then that is another strike against them and further proof we don't want nor need them.
What is counter productive is shielding illegals from the consequences of their actions.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:15 AM

2,205 posts, read 2,535,465 times
I don't understand why this conversation is even necessary. They have no right to be here and should not be counted in anything. Use the census to round them up and Throw them out!

Old 04-02-2010, 06:21 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,555,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Well many of us feel that we should not be distributing resourses based on illegals. Maybe if these sanctuary cities lost these resourses they would do their share to fight illegal immigration.
If they claim legal then that is another strike against them and further proof we don't want nor need them.
What is counter productive is shielding illegals from the consequences of their actions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by getout View Post
I don't understand why this conversation is even necessary. They have no right to be here and should not be counted in anything. Use the census to round them up and Throw them out!
Agreed. Counting illegals in the census is as ridiculous as a store holding a special “50% Off Sale” for shoplifters. Why legitimize criminals?

Old 04-02-2010, 07:21 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,313,780 times
Quote:

I disagree that the census should be used to count illegals. Why should we be distributing resources for illegal aliens? Another problem is that some districts that are getting unfair higher representation in congress due to their high percentages of illegal aliens.

Old 04-02-2010, 11:14 AM

3,071 posts, read 9,135,150 times
If the illegals are required by law to fill out the census forms, HOW DO WE KNOW THEY WILL DO SO? .............just a joke.and who will make them do it? lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration