Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 01:53 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,047,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by getout View Post
I don't understand why this conversation is even necessary. They have no right to be here and should not be counted in anything. Use the census to round them up and Throw them out!
You don't have to have any conversation you don't want. Just avoid the thread.

The next census is not until another decade. You can debate the issue of asking for legal status in approx. 9 years. It's too late to ask that question in THIS census.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Agreed. Counting illegals in the census is as ridiculous as a store holding a special “50% Off Sale” for shoplifters. Why legitimize criminals?
They are counting bodies. This is not an issue of Legality. Let's say there are children in your son's school that have parents who are not legal in the country. The school is crowded and the city is in need of another school.

How will we count the children when we are not counting the parents? This is an issue that trully affects our communities. I don't think illegal immigration should be targetted via the census. It does not work for the above reason I mentioned. Anyway, as I have said, it's too late to discuss the issue of legal status for the census.

Old 04-03-2010, 06:27 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,151,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post

The next census is not until another decade. You can debate the issue of asking for legal status in approx. 9 years. It's too late to ask that question in THIS census.
Mexico may cease to exist in 9 years. then we may be counting people who hail from Juarez, etc. legally.

Till that occurs: illegal aliens should not be tallied up except in jail since they have no right to even be here in the USA. Insolent losers.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:34 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,326,956 times
Quote:
They are counting bodies. This is not an issue of Legality. Let's say there are children in your son's school that have parents who are not legal in the country. The school is crowded and the city is in need of another school.

How will we count the children when we are not counting the parents? This is an issue that trully affects our communities. I don't think illegal immigration should be targetted via the census. It does not work for the above reason I mentioned. Anyway, as I have said, it's too late to discuss the issue of legal status for the census.
Counting the children or the parents gives unfair representation to districts who have a large percentage of illegals in them. People who cannot vote should not get representation in congress.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:50 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,838,230 times
Another case of mis-information or not knowing the law leads to confussion...

Decennial U.S. Census figures are based on actual counts of persons dwelling in U.S. residential structures. They include citizens, non-citizen legal residents, non-citizen long-term visitors and illegal immigrants. The Census Bureau bases its decision about whom to count on the concept of usual residence. Usual residence, a principle established by the Census Act of 1790, is defined as the place a person lives and sleeps most of the time.

Old 04-03-2010, 08:52 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,326,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
Another case of mis-information or not knowing the law leads to confussion...

Decennial U.S. Census figures are based on actual counts of persons dwelling in U.S. residential structures. They include citizens, non-citizen legal residents, non-citizen long-term visitors and illegal immigrants. The Census Bureau bases its decision about whom to count on the concept of usual residence. Usual residence, a principle established by the Census Act of 1790, is defined as the place a person lives and sleeps most of the time.
Read my post above. Do you not agree that only citizens (who are the only ones who can vote) should be the only ones getting representation in congress? That is what is wrong by counting illegals on the census. Please don't come back and say well that is the way it is. I am asking for your opinion on this.

Last edited by chicagonut; 04-03-2010 at 09:04 AM..

Old 04-03-2010, 10:15 AM

2,205 posts, read 2,537,681 times
Quote:

I see you missed the point. There should not even be a discussion whether illegal aliens or like you have stated "foreign born", should have any opinion one way or the other? They do not count. They are not Americans, they are illegal aliens invading another country. Who cares whether they trust it or not? And I'll comment on any thread I choose.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:35 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,736,042 times
Why wouldn't they trust the census?

American hispanics with long roots in the USA would not be different than other Americans -- less trustful of the government than newcomers who very much believe in big government.

Here the census is throwing parties for the illegals -- complete with live mariachi bands and free food.

No parties for Americans however, no live country music bands, no live rap bands, no live rock bands, not even live tejano bands. But live the government has plenty of money to pay live Mexican mariachi musicians (they don't come cheap) for census parties for the illegals -- while we're told if we don't fill out the census that it's shameful that because it will cost the government too much.

US Census draws large crowd in Lower Valley - El Paso Times

Families enjoyed their afternoon hearing mariachis and eating pizza and hot dogs at the Rio Visa Community Center. Women were attracted by the raffles, in which prizes were food.

Old 04-03-2010, 02:13 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,308,455 times
Just to add, I would think that many foreign-born Latinos feel that by participating, they are showing their presence and have been told that by doing that, they may have more good things coming their way such as funding, representation, AMNESTY (politicians get interested in doing things for people when those people are a majority of the population or important to their office) and that whole idea of "We're here." Many of the newsletters around here that written in Spanish are stressing the importance of Latinos and Hispanics filling out the Census.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Mexico may cease to exist in 9 years. then we may be counting people who hail from Juarez, etc. legally.

Till that occurs: illegal aliens should not be tallied up except in jail since they have no right to even be here in the USA. Insolent losers.
I just came back from Mexico. I had a great time. Never felt safer and while I do realize that Mexicans are feeling the effects of the recession, Mexico is far from becoming a failed state. Keep dreaming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration