Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2009, 12:34 PM

686 posts, read 1,700,365 times

Advertisements

2 part question

I've reading about illegal immigration of mexican mestizos to the u.s. and my question is what's the difference between mestizos from other countries in latin america in which mestizos make up the majority in such as (panama,nicaragua,colombia,el salvador,honduras,etc)

and also why do people don't seem to mind illegal immigration from canada but they can't stand immigration from mexico?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 12:53 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,580,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adirondackguy123 View Post
2 part question

I've reading about illegal immigration of mexican mestizos to the u.s. and my question is what's the difference between mestizos from other countries in latin america in which mestizos make up the majority in such as (panama,nicaragua,colombia,el salvador,honduras,etc)

and also why do people don't seem to mind illegal immigration from canada but they can't stand immigration from mexico?
I have NEVER read a post on this forum which embraced Canadian illegal aliens. Perhaps you’d like to share them with those of us who apparently missed those posts. I don’t care what race/ethnicity illegals are, I want them gone -- and that includes black Africans and Haitians (I’m black).

What most of us “can’t stand” is having millions of foreigners invading our country, ignoring our laws, and bankrupting our social services. The fact that the vast majority of illegals are Mexican would explain why they receive the lion’s share of our disdain – that, coupled with the fact that they are demanding, arrogant, and ingrate.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:11 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,756,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briefstop View Post
Depends on where youre at, but in Latin America, a mestizo is mostly native with some European blood mixed in, but at varying degrees. Many in places like Panama and Belize among others also have some African blood in there too. Latin America is a lot of mestizaje.

As far as caring about Mexicans instead of Canadians, the biggest reason is sheer numbers. Canada has tens of thousands of illegals in the US, but since they are mostly white and speak English, they don't stick out.

There are millions from Latin America.

Also, something that the anti-immigrants try to downplay is the different culture, race of those south of the border. They stick out more compared to White Canadians. Feel more Alien, unfamiliar, and are easy to demonize.
Try to get this through those apologist rose-colored glasses of yours....

Legal immigrants: WELCOME! And thanks for respecting and obeying the laws of your host country!

Illegal immigrants: I don't care if you're a Mexican, a Canadian, a Lilliputian, or a Martian. Go home, and if you can't work up enough respect for this country to emigrate legally, don't bother coming back.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:16 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,333,059 times
You all made good points that the apologists for illegal aliens can't refute so as you can see the race card reared its ugly head again. So predictable!

Old 10-13-2009, 01:18 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,333,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I have NEVER read a post on this forum which embraced Canadian illegal aliens. Perhaps you’d like to share them with those of us who apparently missed those posts. I don’t care what race/ethnicity illegals are, I want them gone -- and that includes black Africans and Haitians (I’m black).

What most of us “can’t stand” is having millions of foreigners invading our country, ignoring our laws, and bankrupting our social services. The fact that the vast majority of illegals are Mexican would explain why they receive the lion’s share of our disdain – that, coupled with the fact that they are demanding, arrogant, and ingrate.
Good points! You don't see thousands of illegal Canadians marching in our streets making demands for amnesty either. None would be carrying those reconquista signs either.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:57 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,675,163 times
the same difference between mulattos and octaroons and lobos and negros throughout latin america...

Old 10-13-2009, 02:44 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,568,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briefstop View Post
As far as caring about Mexicans instead of Canadians, the biggest reason is sheer numbers. Canada has tens of thousands of illegals in the US, but since they are mostly white and speak English, they don't stick out.

There are millions from Latin America.

Also, something that the anti-immigrants try to downplay is the different culture, race of those south of the border. They stick out more compared to White Canadians. Feel more Alien, unfamiliar, and are easy to demonize.
All true...all valid points...all worth remembering. All THREE of your points are very much a part of the argument...(1) Race (2) Language (3) Numbers.. Part of our failure to understand each other in this matter is that all three of these points are different, and different people have different ideas of which of the three are most important.

To your three points, I'd like to add a FOURTH....the very notorious, very public, very much 'in-your-face' way that Latin American illegals, (or their supporters) have "pushed" their case; no such push exists in the case of Canadian illegals.

While all FOUR of these points (your three, plus my one) are valid, I've always said the most important of them is sheer numbers. I can assure anyone that, if Latin American illegals were here in MODERATE numbers, this controversy would not attract much attention. MILLIONS of "anyone"...(Latins or anyone ELSE..including about TEN PERCENT of the entire population of a nearby LARGE country), ...doing "just about ANYTHING illegal"....is sure to 'raise eyebrows' no matter WHERE it occurs.

Out of all four (above) reasons, my vote for 'most important' goes to 'sheer numbers'....followed, maybe, by "culture"...(maybe the 'pushing' of their case has a cultural dimension....I don't know)...

Good post, though...honest and well-stated.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:51 PM

686 posts, read 1,700,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
All true...all valid points...all worth remembering. All THREE of your points are very much a part of the argument...(1) Race (2) Language (3) Numbers.. Part of our failure to understand each other in this matter is that all three of these points are different, and different people have different ideas of which of the three are most important.

To your three points, I'd like to add a FOURTH....the very notorious, very public, very much 'in-your-face' way that Latin American illegals, (or their supporters) have "pushed" their case; no such push exists in the case of Canadian illegals.

While all FOUR of these points (your three, plus my one) are valid, I've always said the most important of them is sheer numbers. I can assure anyone that, if Latin American illegals were here in MODERATE numbers, this controversy would not attract much attention. MILLIONS of "anyone"...(Latins or anyone ELSE..including about TEN PERCENT of the entire population of a nearby LARGE country), ...doing "just about ANYTHING illegal"....is sure to 'raise eyebrows' no matter WHERE it occurs.

Out of all four (above) reasons, my vote for 'most important' goes to 'sheer numbers'....followed, maybe, by "culture"...(maybe the 'pushing' of their case has a cultural dimension....I don't know)...

Good post, though...honest and well-stated.

Those are good points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration