Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 01:17 AM

Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,852,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
No immigration agents descended on Overhill Farms, a major food-processing plant in Vernon. No one was arrested or deported. There were no frantic scenes of desperate workers fleeing la migra through the gritty streets of the industrial suburb southeast of downtown Los Angeles.

For more than 200 Overhill workers, however, the effect was devastating: All lost steady jobs last month and now find themselves in a precarious employment market, without severance pay or medical insurance. It wasn't a hot tip or an undercover informant that helped seal their fates, but a computer check of Social Security numbers.
Quote:
Overhill, a $200-million-a-year company that provides frozen meals for clients such as American Airlines, Panda Express, Safeway and Jenny Craig, says it had no choice: An Internal Revenue Service audit found that 260 workers had provided "invalid or fraudulent" Social Security numbers. The government took no action against the workers. But Overhill did: All of the employees were fired May 31.
Computer 'raid' in Vernon leaves factory workers devastated - Los Angeles Times

Quote:
"My Social Security number was good all these years, why is it suddenly no good now?" asked Eva Macias, a 19-year veteran of Overhill Farms. "We left our youth in that plant."
Well, Ms. Macias, why don't you have it checked with the officials and come back to us on that issue.

ADIOS ILEGALES!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 06:33 AM

974 posts, read 1,587,633 times
American Airlines, Panda Express, Safeway and Jenny Craig are companies I will not be using. I find it funny that she said it has been good all these years, why is it bad now lol. Like she had no idea that her SSN was falsified. See ya!!!

Old 06-12-2009, 06:40 AM

807 posts, read 1,303,112 times
"Why is my Social Security Number No Good Now?".. Umm because it was FRAUDULENT or STOLEN..

The LA Times article describes the situation as "devastating"? Consider all of the American citizens whose lives have been "devastated" by Illegal Aliens those who had their Identities and SSN's stolen by these criminals..

I don't think it's over yet.. These Illegal Aliens look like they have an activist lawyer that is sympathetic to their cause and likely be awarded millions of dollars..

Overhill even gave their employees 30 days to correct the situation, but obviously many of these criminals wanted to continue to break the law..

Nice to see the IRS siding with American workers as well stating that use of fraudulent or incorrect SSN's is "not necessarily a mandate for firing".. Would the same courtesy be extended to legal AMERICAN citizens?

Also a 4 year old boy holding up a sign that turns the argument into a "Race Issue".. Again the arrogance of these people just astounds me..

Last edited by bipolarpunk; 06-12-2009 at 06:50 AM..

Old 06-12-2009, 07:21 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Yup.

The hammer came down once again!

Memo to illegals: get out of the USA while the gettin' is good.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:51 AM

706 posts, read 940,222 times
"Overhill says it gave the workers 30 days to correct the problem with the IRS and provide the company with verification, but none did so."

They were warned in advance and given a chance to correct any problems.

So where is the problem with the terminations?

Old 06-12-2009, 08:16 AM

804 posts, read 1,360,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antireconquista View Post
Computer 'raid' in Vernon leaves factory workers devastated - Los Angeles Times

Well, Ms. Macias, why don't you have it checked with the officials and come back to us on that issue.

ADIOS ILEGALES!!!
Funny thing, you are happy about 260 people being fired, form a company that is already in trouble to start with; people who had been working for that company up to 16 years.

Not people who were leeching on the system, no people who came here had a baby and sat on their ass to let the baby support them (even though I still don't understand how this is even possible ), but people who were supporting themselves by working and paying taxes. (Since the entity that detected them was the IRS/SS)

And you are happy because those people are now going to be unemployed. Hopefully they will get another job, but the ones that don't end up on welfare, on the money that you and me paid for taxes. And the likeliness of them going back to their countries after 16 years of being here due to losing this job is extremely slim.

So, from this post I see that you are happy that instead of these people providing support for themselves, you would rather have them on welfare. How stupid is that? If someone is going to be here I would rather they work and provide for themselves instead of kicking them out of a job and paying out of my pocket for their living. Are you really that naive thinking that because they lost a job they are just going to pack up their things and leave.

As far as the company goes, I hope that they are able to find replacements quickly for such a large percentage of their workforce.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:21 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
Funny thing, you are happy about 260 people being fired, form a company that is already in trouble to start with; people who had been working for that company up to 16 years.

Not people who were leeching on the system, no people who came here had a baby and sat on their ass to let the baby support them (even though I still don't understand how this is even possible ), but people who were supporting themselves by working and paying taxes. (Since the entity that detected them was the IRS/SS)

And you are happy because those people are now going to be unemployed. Hopefully they will get another job, but the ones that don't end up on welfare, on the money that you and me paid for taxes. And the likeliness of them going back to their countries after 16 years of being here due to losing this job is extremely slim.

So, from this post I see that you are happy that instead of these people providing support for themselves, you would rather have them on welfare. How stupid is that? If someone is going to be here I would rather they work and provide for themselves instead of kicking them out of a job and paying out of my pocket for their living. Are you really that naive thinking that because they lost a job they are just going to pack up their things and leave.

As far as the company goes, I hope that they are able to find replacements quickly for such a large percentage of their workforce.
May those illegal alien criminals return home.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:26 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,478,559 times
Quote:

That is exactly what we have been saying all along- cut off the jobs and cut off the freebies and they will leave. They need to understand that unless they come to the US legally, there is nothing for them here. They are not going to get their 'piece of the American Dreee-am' that they seem to think they are entitled to.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:47 AM

807 posts, read 1,303,112 times
Quote:

I am happy that these criminals that used falsified documents to receive jobs are out of jobs.. It is very likely that replacements with PROPER documentation can be found especially with a 10% Unemployment rate in California..

Some of them may have been in this job for 16 years so maybe it's time for them to get an education and reinvent their skills to become more marketable, which is the point that many of the Pro-Illegals like to make when American Citizens lose their jobs to Illegal Aliens..

...Or maybe they should have thought about the consequences of their actions beforehand rather than blame the plant and having a 4 year old kid hold up a sign accusing the plant's owners of "racism"..

Old 06-12-2009, 08:53 AM

2,095 posts, read 2,581,902 times
"We killed ourselves on the assembly lines for years, many of us have injuries from repetitive motion," said Bohemia Agustiano, 38, a mother of four from Huntington Park.

There is no way an "immigrant" making $10 an hour can support four kids. I wonder how much welfare this "hardworking immigrant" is relying on to support her family. There is no reason why someone in her current situation should have more than 2 kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration