Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2009, 09:20 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,646,533 times

Advertisements

I wonder how they plan to pay for their massive births in this country. Ok, let’s not count them, and let’s make THEM pay for all of the services they claim they don’t receive.

Quote:
Latinos in Charlotte are divided over a nationwide call for illegal immigrants to boycott the 2010 Census unless immigration laws are changed.

The debate is gaining steam on local Spanish-language radio. Some popular hosts back the boycott effort being led by the D.C.-based National Coalition of Latino Clergy and Christian Leaders, which represents about 16,000 churches.

The pastors say political representation and federal money don't matter to illegal immigrants, who can't vote and don't get to enjoy many of the benefits of living here.

They say the boycott may be the only way to force the government's hand on immigration reform.
Flip side:

Quote:
“If we're not counted, we don't exist,” said Cristina La Paz, executive director of Mi Casa Su Casa. “If you don't exist, you don't need anything. To have access to services available to other communities, we need to be counted.”
Census protest splits Latinos | CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/597/story/732399.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 09:52 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,211,803 times
I 100% support their boycott so they don't take away districts from less Latino and less illegal immigrant areas of the USA! Plus, they will let their area suffer more if they don't get the money for their district.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:01 AM

2,095 posts, read 2,592,134 times
haha I hope they do boycott them.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:20 AM

50,829 posts, read 47,704,538 times
ICE should do the surveys.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:51 PM

37,061 posts, read 31,335,765 times
Since when do illegal immigrants participate in the census?
During the last census, I got upset with census taker that had come to my house to fill out a lengthy census form. I had already filled out and sent back the mailed form. He started asking me 101 questions. Across the street were 3 rentals where illegals lived. I had never been able to figure who or how many lived in any of the houses. I asked the census taker why he didnt go across the street and do the survey as I had already fill out my form and I would like to know how many people lived there. He gave me an excuse about not having a translator and I refused to answer his questions. Not a week later his supervisor came wanting me to complete the form. I told her after she had completed the survey from all the rentals where illegal lived on my block I'd think about it. Apparently she didnt bother.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:56 PM

5,402 posts, read 12,714,870 times
a boycott would be stupid.

i havent heard any call to boycott.

who is leading the charge?

one of my dear old "aunts" goes to church every sunday, and she says that they cant stop talking about the census, and how important it is. they have talked about it at both the english and spanish masses apparently.

church is a funny place some times. it can be very political.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I wonder how they plan to pay for their massive births in this country. Ok, let’s not count them, and let’s make THEM pay for all of the services they claim they don’t receive.

Flip side:

Census protest splits Latinos | CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/597/story/732399.html - broken link)

Old 05-20-2009, 01:06 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,646,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post

one of my dear old "aunts" goes to church every sunday, and she says that they cant stop talking about the census, and how important it is. they have talked about it at both the english and spanish masses apparently.

Quote:
A nationwide group of Latino ministers has a message for illegal immigrants: Stand up, but refuse to be counted in the 2010 U.S. census.

The National Coalition of Latino Clergy and Christian Leaders is urging undocumented immigrants to boycott the census — which is used to calculate everything from federal funding to congressional representation — unless Congress first passes immigration reform.
Latino pastor group urges census boycott - Race & ethnicity- msnbc.com

Old 05-20-2009, 01:43 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,616,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post

It sure can be. Like your aunt, I go to mass pretty much every Sunday. We have 4 masses in English and two in Spanish...(and sometimes one in Vietnamese). We have a Catholic newspaper, (yes...it's bilingual) that comes out every week or so. In about every other issue, there's a LONG article about the rights of immigrants....and the God-given right of ALL humans to migrate where they want...and the duty of ALL Christians to do as Christ did, and 'welcome the unwanted', and 'care for the poor'. The word "illegal" is never used....all 'God's people' are just immigrants.

Such a article can frequently take up a whole PAGE or even TWO.... single-spaced...and always, in the very last paragraph, there's the statement that "of course, ALL countries have the right to monitor and control their borders, and God tells ALL of us that we're to obey the legitimate 'law of the land' ".

The Church can be very 'political'?...yes, I guess you could say that...a "funny place"? Oftentimes, yes....they DO have a way of concentrating on SOME issues more than others, don't they?....

Old 05-20-2009, 02:18 PM

tell me about it.

in CA when prop 4 and 8 were on the ballot, they would not shut up about them.

prop 4, the abortion one, really got them riled up. they were handing out DVD's, leaflets, baby key chains, holding candle light vigils for the "non-born"...

so much for seperation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
It sure can be. Like your aunt, I go to mass pretty much every Sunday. We have 4 masses in English and two in Spanish...(and sometimes one in Vietnamese). We have a Catholic newspaper, (yes...it's bilingual) that comes out every week or so. In about every other issue, there's a LONG article about the rights of immigrants....and the God-given right of ALL humans to migrate where they want...and the duty of ALL Christians to do as Christ did, and 'welcome the unwanted', and 'care for the poor'. The word "illegal" is never used....all 'God's people' are just immigrants.

Such a article can frequently take up a whole PAGE or even TWO.... single-spaced...and always, in the very last paragraph, there's the statement that "of course, ALL countries have the right to monitor and control their borders, and God tells ALL of us that we're to obey the legitimate 'law of the land' ".

The Church can be very 'political'?...yes, I guess you could say that...a "funny place"? Oftentimes, yes....they DO have a way of concentrating on SOME issues more than others, don't they?....

Old 05-20-2009, 02:25 PM

oh man!!! thats ridiculous.

the good thing is that its not the catholic church (which has largest following among latinos in the US). the sponsoring org, conmilac, is a loose affiliation of pentecostal and evangelical churches. thank allah they aint that many of them. and they are mostly based in the northeast... maybe thats why we aint heard much about it this side. hmmmm

either way, those religious nuts are misguided to tell people to boycott the census. thats just counter productive.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration