Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 08:28 PM

365 posts, read 759,015 times

Advertisements

News 14 | 24 Hour Local News | Charlotte | Hispanic spending growing in Carolinas

The importance of immigration in the carolinas, is proven once more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 09:11 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,649,984 times
I read the article twice, and still don’t see the word “immigrant” anywhere. How is this relevant to the Immigration Forum? Or, is this now the “Hispanic Forum?”

Old 04-13-2009, 09:17 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,618,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I read the article twice, and still don’t see the word “immigrant” anywhere. How is this relevant to the Immigration Forum? Or, is this now the “Hispanic Forum?”
There's a certain amount of 'overlap' built into the discussion.....Illegal immigration, by itself, is a pretty boring, 'cut-and-dried' subject..It helps to add 'ethnicity' into the discussion; that always 'spices things up'...

Old 04-13-2009, 09:20 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,298,842 times
Quote:
I almost thought that, but then I remembered all the people on here saying how most Hispanics are illegal, or Hispanic populations are full of illegals. So I guess when they put it that way...

Old 04-14-2009, 12:07 AM

197 posts, read 267,088 times
Quote:

Do you ever react so rapidly when hispanics in general are associated to illegal immigration???, I don't think so.
The reality is that there is a sense of brotherhood between the majority
of hispanics independently of citizenship status.
I am myself an american of latin-american upbringing, and ancestry primarily of Spanish and italian descent, I have nothing in me close to being a mexican or any other undocumented fellow, however I sympathize with their situation and whenever possile I provide my help to them.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:17 AM

365 posts, read 759,015 times
see the issues that i post when mentioning hispanics are latinos

is where the root of the problem is.

when we mention 45 million immigrants, legal, we tend to want to seperate them but we forget is that

problebly half or more then half have an illegal as a family member or turn legal after the reagan pardon, and know the feeling.

so those 45 million are the ones wanting a reform

so lega and illegal are connected, why we granted them citenzhip and forgetting that on paper it looked good but families or some sort of attachment was along with the solution.

so again legal and illegal are connected

Old 04-14-2009, 07:52 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,649,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
There's a certain amount of 'overlap' built into the discussion.....Illegal immigration, by itself, is a pretty boring, 'cut-and-dried' subject..It helps to add 'ethnicity' into the discussion; that always 'spices things up'...
Yes indeed. They complain about “Hispanic-bashing” yet their obsession with everything “Hispanic” is evident. I guess it’s only appropriate to portray a positive image of Hispanics, notwithstanding its relevance to immigration. Interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
I almost thought that, but then I remembered all the people on here saying how most Hispanics are illegal, or Hispanic populations are full of illegals. So I guess when they put it that way...
In that case, I guess you won’t object to a thread being started on ANYTHING pertaining to Hispanics, since it’s understood that Hispanic is synonymous with illegal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mori-vivi View Post
Do you ever react so rapidly when hispanics in general are associated to illegal immigration???, I don't think so.
I am myself an american of latin-american upbringing, and ancestry primarily of Spanish and italian descent, I have nothing in me close to being a mexican or any other undocumented fellow, however I sympathize with their situation and whenever possile I provide my help to them.
I simply believe in fair play. If a thread involving “Hispanics” must be related to “immigration” when posted by an anti-illegal, the same should apply to pro-illegals. However, I have lived long enough to realize what’s good for the goose, is not always good for the gander.

I think we ALL know your motives; but thanks for the genealogical info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iturbide1981 View Post

when we mention 45 million immigrants, legal, we tend to want to seperate them but we forget is that

problebly half or more then half have an illegal as a family member or turn legal after the reagan pardon, and know the feeling.

so lega and illegal are connected, why we granted them citenzhip and forgetting that on paper it looked good but families or some sort of attachment was along with the solution.

Sorry, but there is a difference between “legal” and “illegal.” It is this same mindset that obfuscates the issue of illegal immigration. If I were to conflate illegal Hispanics with Hispanic-Americans, I would be immediately attacked as being racist or xenophobic.

Furthermore, if I posted a thread related to Black or German-American consumerism, unless it specifically pertained to “immigrants” it would be deemed inappropriate for this forum. Thanks for the precedent-setting thread.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:57 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,690,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mori-vivi View Post
So your world view is an ethnocentric one? Larazist indeed

Old 04-14-2009, 08:01 AM

50,838 posts, read 47,721,677 times
Each thread will need a criminal-immigrant twist for the apologists and family members of such.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:22 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,618,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iturbide1981 View Post

This is true, as you say. And every drunk driver; every shoplifter; every thief; every scam artist; every public drunk; everyone who beats up his neighbor, or vandalizes property, or commits fraud, or practices medicine without a license...Every ONE of them, and everyone who violates any OTHER law, from jaywalking to mass murder....is a member of a family; has children, a spouse, and loved ones; has friends; and does more "nice" things than BAD things.....and SOMEBODY loves each of them.

So there's a connection with ALL of us, and EACH OTHER; and there's a connection between the law-abiding, and the law-breaker.

So what's your point?.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration