Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 08:40 PM

558 posts, read 388,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Unless you are of pure-blood Taino (Arawak), then your family is not native to Cuba or Puerto Rico, EITHER. That's why most people agree to use just their OWN nationality...not every one of their ancestors', for the past 120 generations. Few of us are "from" one country, according to your definition. After a while it just gets silly, cumbersome, and potentially divisive (as this thread illustrates)...
I see your point of view and respect that.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
Methinks we have another La Raza chit-stirrer aboard. Welcome John Herrera, I'm really looking forward to reading your opinions. I need a good laugh now and then...
You sound like you're going to have interesting posts too. Can't wait to read them.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:47 PM

Hyphening your ethnicity/nationality is a way for people to point out how different you are.[/quote]

I see nothing wrong with being different. That's why the the US is such a unique place. That's one of the things that makes this the best country on earth. Because of all the people of different cultures and backgrounds, living together as one nation.

Everyone wants the same things. Good job/career, Nice home in a nice neighborhood, nice car. Education and safetly for their children...etc.

Different? Who do I want to be like? I am Latino, with a Latino last name. That is my culture. I am American. My first lanuage is english. And I love this country dearly. My family has faught and died for this country in WWI, WWII, Korean, Vietnam and now Iraq.

So, yeah I'm different from many people. We don't all want to look, talk, dress, walk and act the same, do we?

Old 03-19-2008, 08:49 PM

21,116 posts, read 42,271,422 times
For the record; my father too is an immigrant from another country, he came here legally (sponsor in 1951) and I was born/raised here.

Ain't no hyphen in front of this American's nationality.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
For the record; my father too is an immigrant from another country, he came here legally (sponsor in 1951) and I was born/raised here.

Ain't no hyphen in front of this American's nationality.
To each his own.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:53 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,148,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnherrera305 View Post
Hyphening your ethnicity/nationality is a way for people to point out how different you are.
Quote:
I see nothing wrong with being different. That's why the the US is such a unique place. That's one of the things that makes this the best country on earth. Because of all the people of different cultures and backgrounds, living together as one nation.

Everyone wants the same things. Good job/career, Nice home in a nice neighborhood, nice car. Education and safetly for their children...etc.

Different? Who do I want to be like? I am Latino, with a Latino last name. That is my culture. I am American. My first lanuage is english. And I love this country dearly. My family has faught and died for this country in WWI, WWII, Korean, Vietnam and now Iraq.

So, yeah I'm different from many people. We don't all want to look, talk, dress, walk and act the same, do we?
There is only one type of American-- and thats just plain ole' American. Your either an American, or your not.

Quote:
"In the first place we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the man's becoming in very fact an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag, which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization, just as much as it excludes any foreign flag of a nation to which we are hostile...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Old 03-19-2008, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exedous View Post
There is only one type of American-- and thats just plain ole' American. Your either an American, or your not.
Yes...and this was during the time when women weren't allow to vote. And yes, when blacks had to drink from different fountains, use seperate bathrooms and not allowed in "white only" business'.

What is the definition of American. We had to look, talk, act, eat, sleep, work like Mr. Roosevelt. Who was going to judge who was American and who was not?

So you think everyone was being treated the same...everyone was being treated equally...with Liberty and Justice.
Give me a break.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:04 PM

I thought this was going to be an interested forum, with intelligent comments and points of views. But if this is all you guys can come up with...I will get bored very quickly, and leave you men and women to talk amongst yourselves. :P

Old 03-19-2008, 09:05 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,148,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnherrera305 View Post
Yes...and this was during the time when woman weren't allow to vote. And yes, when blacks had to drink from different fountains, use seperate bathrooms and not allowed in "white only" business'.

Nice.
Way to skew the point bud.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exedous View Post
Way to skew the point bud.
You were quoting a man who lived in a different time and era then we do, to make a point about being American. It was just a bad choice and left you open for a rebuttal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration