Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 10:49 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,470,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700 View Post
Because of the Liberals in this country and Bush being one of them.
Bush is a neoconservative, which hails from the very FAR left. Tell me what you make of this. I posted it in the illegal immigration thread, but it really belongs here too. What say you to this?

Quote:
April 18, 2006 - The Progressive (US)
Halliburton's Immigrant Detention Centers
by Ruth Conniff

While thousands of people were celebrating the contribution America's undocumented immigrants make to our economy, and demanding justice and recognition for workers who are denied basic rights, the government was making plans for large-scale detention centers in case of an "emergency influx" of immigrants.

KBR, the Halliburton subsidiary recently reprimanded for gross overcharging in its military contracts in Iraq, won a $385 million contract to build the centers. According to the Halliburton website -- www.Halliburton.com -- "the contract, which is effective immediately, provides for establishing temporary detention and processing capabilities to augment existing ICE Detention and Removal Operations Program facilities in the event of an emergency influx of immigrants into the U.S., or to support the rapid development of new programs."
Bush seems to be talking out of both sides his both, what gives?

OTOH, he seems to welcome undocumented workers, at the same time he supports mass detention centers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2006, 11:05 PM

622 posts, read 2,713,814 times
that is some crazy sh*t.

Old 10-26-2006, 08:33 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,700,272 times
Mexico would have no problem "Detaining" us if we all just decided to go there uninvited, why do we need to keep being so nice? Hasnt worked well for us so far.

Old 10-26-2006, 08:38 AM

622 posts, read 2,713,814 times
i know little about this subject- but, my understanding is that its not a question of whether or not to incarcerate someone for doing something illegal, its about bush's patriot act and laws to make it unecessary for detainees accused of terrorism to have legal representation. when you throw that in the mix, it becomes a different story altogether.

Old 10-26-2006, 09:44 AM

No, they need legal representaion if they are american. If not they need to be sent back to where ever they came from. But what would their country do to us?. Like Mexico, from what I understand, an american can spend months and months waiting for some sort of help, as well as in other countries where much worse things happen.

Old 10-26-2006, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Well, here's the deal. We don't really care about another terraist attack, because it will only further lead to restrictions of our government. Think about it. Anyone, at any time, could smuggle a dirty bomb across, and we'd never even know about it.

And, btw, if we're so hated, why hasn't this happened? I have the answer. But, I want yours.
They are going to wait till Bush is out of office and some weak, pu**y butt President gets in there, at they point they will believe we are weak and will take their shot.

Old 10-28-2006, 01:53 AM

8,954 posts, read 4,282,506 times
This thread is political. It is put on hold now until the moderators decide about the best place to have them. Stay tuned.

Old 10-30-2006, 05:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,306 times
Angry This does not provide an answer but...

I have had a couple friends recently go to Iraq. God bless them but they have never been the sharpest pencils in the box, and did not go to college. So, when the entry level job market was almost non-existant and the bills came due, off they went. If you can't see what I'm getting at, open your eyes next time you drive through a construction site, or see some fellas roofing a house. My friends and I work hard to get by, and we're not lazy either. Hopefully they will be home soon and the three of us "young, hard-working, non-mexican, tax-paying, citizens" can go build a tall and sturdy (non-virtual) wall. (hopefully alongside people of every nation, as long as we all filled out our w-2's)

Old 01-01-2007, 01:01 PM

33 posts, read 73,758 times
Default Extremist Attitudes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariatherese View Post
Theres no doubt in my mind that there are lots of people that want to commit harmful acts on American soil. Nut jobs are everywhere. We are hated... we are occupying another country. I think trying to say that there really is no threat and the fear is completely fabricated is just as extreme.

The question is, how much does our current administration really care about this more than it cares about its own agenda? If they really cared about a terrorist attack as much as they say they do, we would have 1) not been afraid to take a closer look at how our government failed during 9-11 and taken the necessary actions to improve it 2) spent more time in afghanistan, captured bin laden and 3) secured our borders more. I am equally mad at terrorists for killing thousands of people on 9-11 as I am at our government for exploiting it and instilling the public with fear so that it can pass asinine laws and create a war that kills thousands of brave soldiers.

A divide exists on this subject because people tend to speak about it in extremes; its either "yes, there is a threat! look at 9-11! how can someone think that we shouldnt be afraid?" or "no, all of the fear is fabricated and its a conspiracy!"

But, its a little of both. I think terrorism is and always has been a threat, but our government is exploiting that concept. As soon as we start thinking in extreme black and white, we give the other side a reason to discredit our entire argument. I think its important for everyone to realize asking these questions about what's really going on doesn't necessarily mean you are a conspiracy theorist or "moonbat" (as I was recently called by an anonymous red-dotter LOL).

So, terrorism is a threat. But if I really cared about terrorism, seems like I wouldn't just address one aspect of that: Iraq, while ignoring all the rest: borders, N. Korea, our own government failures, etc. I thnk anyone with common sense can agree to that.
Mariatherese,
Yes! I totally agree with your concerns and expressions. There are far too many extreme siders here. Things are not just black and white. Especially when it comes to politics. The extreme right is no better than the extreme left. If we can not come to terms by meeting in the middle somewhere, there will never be peace on our land.
I think that we really need to address the problem of our borders before we had ever thought about sending anyone off to another country. Illegal immigration has been an increasing problem since the Mexican American War. Why is our government ignoring the problem?
We feel sorry for the poor Mexicans who can not speak English, those who don't even want to become American citizens. We allow them to come here and abuse our system. We are our biggest threat! We (as a nation) have allowed others to abuse us and use us.
At this point the only solution to the problem that I can see is to take Mexico. They keep coming here anyway. The only way to enforce our laws on them is to siege them under our control. They would all agree that the Mexican government is corrupt and it only makes sense. One continant, one nation, one government.

Old 01-01-2007, 08:13 PM

484 posts, read 1,947,838 times
No, they need legal representaion if they are american.

José Padilla is a US citizen, and he has been held in a US naval brig, with no legal representation, for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration