Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2007, 04:19 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,286,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
It's hard to say, but an increase in wages for these jobs would be in order. Young people these days certainly have more of a sense of entitlement than in years past, and this (IMO) is part of the problem.
A couple of points, first off any job can be filled appropriately, you just need to find the wages and benefits to attract the employees. Will it work perfectly right out of the box? No, adjustments will be necessary, but workers will get better at the work and the best will be appropriately financially rewarded.

Next, the number of folks who are available for labor work is very plentiful. According to the summary in the attached report, between 350,000 and 550,000 kids drop out of high school each year. Seems like a decent and growing basic labor pool to me.

Dropout Rates in the United States: 2001 / Event Dropout Rates
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2007, 04:22 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,999,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
A couple of points, first off any job can be filled appropriately, you just need to find the wages and benefits to attract the employees. Will it work perfectly right out of the box? No, adjustments will be necessary, but workers will get better at the work and the best will be appropriately financially rewarded.

Next, the number of folks who are available for labor work is very plentiful. According to the summary in the attached report, between 350,000 and 550,000 kids drop out of high school each year. Seems like a decent and growing basic labor pool to me.

Dropout Rates in the United States: 2001 / Event Dropout Rates
Great points NewToCA. Thanks for the information!

Old 11-17-2007, 04:23 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,700,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Before the illegals it was the less educated people who held those jobs. Now a days America is becoming more and more educated, who in the right mind would pick crops when they have a BS in Computer Science?!
MOD CUT Both my parents went to college, and both worked the family farm pulling spuds and bucking hay and pulled spuds all summer and help on the ranch!! My dad had a degree in engineering, my mom in Biology. I went to college, for graphic design. My son is in College, computer sciences and game design, guess what he also is working full time at a minimum wage job. Not everyone has the grades or money to go to college. Not all Americans are lazy, some actually like a hard days work. Doesnt mean they are stupid in any way. Some of the most intelligent people I have ever know, swung a hammer for a living.Alot of people just assume that we are lazy because we dont work in the fields, well when the jobs are givin to people that have no place here, kinda hard to make a living, doesnt mean they wouldnt. For some it was their way of life, and still is. My family still has three farms and two cattle and sheep ranches, guess what? no illegals.

Last edited by Nea1; 11-17-2007 at 04:34 PM.. Reason: comment on the topic, not the poster

Old 11-17-2007, 04:26 PM

9,603 posts, read 31,786,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
MOD CUT Both my parents went to college, and both worked the family farm pulling spuds and biking hay and plled spuds all summer and help on the ranch!! My dad had a degree in engineering, my mom in Biology. I went to college, for graphic design. My son is in College, computer sciences and game design, guess what he also is working full time at a minimum wage job. Not everyone has the grades or money to go to college. Not all Americans are lazy, some actually like a hard days work. Doesnt mean they are stupid in any way. Some of the most intelligent people I have ever know, swung a hammer for a living.Alot of people just assume that we are lazy because we dont work in the fields, well when the jobs are givin to people that have no place here, kinda hard to make a living, doesnt mean they wouldnt. For some it was their way of life, and still is. My family still has three farms and two cattle and sheep ranches, guess what? no illegals.
Great post, Nea1 . . . beautifully stated!

Old 11-17-2007, 04:37 PM

Quote:
MOD CUT Both my parents went to college, and both worked the family farm pulling spuds and biking hay and plled spuds all summer and help on the ranch!! My dad had a degree in engineering, my mom in Biology. I went to college, for graphic design. My son is in College, computer sciences and game design, guess what he also is working full time at a minimum wage job. Not everyone has the grades or money to go to college. Not all Americans are lazy, some actually like a hard days work. Doesnt mean they are stupid in any way. Some of the most intelligent people I have ever know, swung a hammer for a living.Alot of people just assume that we are lazy because we dont work in the fields, well when the jobs are givin to people that have no place here, kinda hard to make a living, doesnt mean they wouldnt. For some it was their way of life, and still is. My family still has three farms and two cattle and sheep ranches, guess what? no illegals.
So, if you paid for your kids college education, you wouldn't mind if they took on the low wage jobs picking crops as their occupation after graduation? If they paid for their own college through loans, think this type of employment would allow them to pay back the accumulative student debt, and also pay for their daily living expenses?

I saw nothing in the ProLogic posting indicating only stupid people do hard labor, but when completing the advanced educational process it is very unlikely they would (or could afford) go into field work.

Old 11-17-2007, 04:44 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,700,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
So, if you paid for your kids college education, you wouldn't mind if they took on the low wage jobs picking crops as their occupation after graduation? If they paid for their own college through loans, think this type of employment would allow them to pay back the accumulative student debt, and also pay for their daily living expenses?

I saw nothing in the ProLogic posting indicating only stupid people do hard labor, but when completing the advanced educational process it is very unlikely they would (or could afford) go into field work.
Too me saying "uneducated" means dumb. We were educated, highschool is education, it is someones choice and desire to continue on. If they choose not too does not mean they are "uneducated". Wage wouldnt be low, if they hired citizens and paid a living wage. They did it before they can do it again. My family does it, so do all the other families I know. I am not paying my kids college, he is, it is his choice to go, just as I paid for mine. He is paying his college and apartment and living expenses with his fulltime job. He make 8.45 an hour.it is rough but he is doing it. After school his loans will continue for years. if he for some reason cannot find a job right away he will wokr what he can. He did construction during highschool and worked on my families farms. You do what you have to do. I know people that paid 70000 for their colege education, cant find work in that field, so he works at Costco.

Old 11-17-2007, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Too me saying "uneducated" means dumb. We were educated, highschool is education, it is someones choice and desire to continue on. If they choose not too does not mean they are "uneducated".
OK, our difference mostly lies in the area of uneducated and intelligence. I don't link the two up, but I see how you addressed the issue.

Old 11-17-2007, 05:46 PM

394 posts, read 1,008,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
If this happens on a nationwide scale, I sense repercussions.

let em repercuss!!!! [i love inventing words]

Old 11-17-2007, 05:48 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,271,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
Again, if they can't afford to operate a business without hiring ILLEGAL LABOR, then they can't afford a business, like many of us.
Then they should not be in business. Thats like saying if a builder can't compete unless he uses sub par materials he should get a free pass. No it just means he shouldn't be in the business.
May more employers of illegals meet the same fate. I'll pay 50 cents extra for a legal burger.

Old 11-17-2007, 05:49 PM

394 posts, read 1,008,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
This is the right way to enforce immigration laws.

Less focus on the illegals, deportations and creating hatred.

More focus on those who profit off of them.
GREAT POINT! THIS POINT CANNOT BE OVER USED.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration