Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 08:13 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,261,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
The best response to your fear mongering might be this:
It was a valid question.
Who will pay to take care of the elderly illegals granted their amnesty?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 08:58 AM

442 posts, read 802,136 times
^Obama will.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:11 AM

77,771 posts, read 105,013,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
I don't think we need this bill at all.
I am sorry, I disagree with you and normally I agree with your posts. of course, like many, I wish we could just send all illegals and that is what they are, back to their home countries, but I know, this isn't going to happen. That being said, we have to work on a way to have some control over who stays, who goes and who can eventually become citizens. Like it or not, there has to be an answer. Ok, just look at this: what about the kids who were brought here as little children and all they know is America? What about the kids who were born here, but their parents are illegal, Mexico or whatever country their parents are from don't want them. Are you going to separate the families? The biggest problem is keeping these people off welfare and not allowing them any rights except the right to stay here and to get a job.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:13 AM

77,771 posts, read 105,013,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin_mac View Post
^Obama will.
another word for that: the tax payers will.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:16 AM

442 posts, read 802,136 times
Yep.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:18 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,961,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I think Ted Cruz's family was from Canada not Cuba. He himself is an American though and I believe he was born here.
No. His father is Cuban, His mother is American, He is a Canadian anchor baby. He naturalized after his family came to America on a work visa.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:22 PM

63,137 posts, read 29,316,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am sorry, I disagree with you and normally I agree with your posts. of course, like many, I wish we could just send all illegals and that is what they are, back to their home countries, but I know, this isn't going to happen. That being said, we have to work on a way to have some control over who stays, who goes and who can eventually become citizens. Like it or not, there has to be an answer. Ok, just look at this: what about the kids who were brought here as little children and all they know is America? What about the kids who were born here, but their parents are illegal, Mexico or whatever country their parents are from don't want them. Are you going to separate the families? The biggest problem is keeping these people off welfare and not allowing them any rights except the right to stay here and to get a job.
I don't know how many times it has to be repeated in here that the way to rid ourselves of illegals is to remove the incentives for them to remain here. There is no mass deportation in any plans.

If this amnesty occurs these people will just be rubber stamped through. There are way too many for our government to do all those background checks (at the expense of the taypayer of course), monitor them paying back taxes, learning English, etc.

As for the "kids" that were brought here illegally many of them aren't kids anymore. It's not true that they only know America. They have been taught the language and culture of their homeland by their parents. I am sure many of them still have family back in their homelands also. Even Americans kids have to adjust to a new state or country when their parents get a job transfer or simply want to move somewhere else. Kids adapt very well. Not our problem anyway. Their parents created this problem.

As for kids born here the same thing applies above. They know the culture and language of their parent's homeland. Minor kids belong with their parents. When deported the parents should take their U.S. born kids with them. So where is the separation of families then? It's not our fault that their parents chose to break the law. American kids often get separated from their parents when they break the law. Those kids can choose to return here to live when they reach adulthood if they so choose.

It isn't just welfare usage that is the problem but we have 23 million Americans out of work. Why should we allow illegals to remain here and compete for jobs or retain the jobs they are already holding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
No. His father is Cuban, His mother is American, He is a Canadian anchor baby. He naturalized after his family came to America on a work visa.
If you had read a more recent post of mine you would see that I corrected that. Yes, I do know his mother was an American citizen. I couldn't care less about Canadian anchor babies. It's their problem not ours. Was his mother in Canada illegally? I'm only concerned about babies born on our soil to illegal immigrants parents. If he became naturalized while his family was here on a work visa then what's the problem?

Last edited by Yac; 06-14-2013 at 12:59 AM..

Old 06-20-2013, 07:35 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,513,605 times
NPR featured an interview with Ted Cruz's father, this morning. My recollection of what was said is that he described himself as lazy, as someone who bribed his way to the USA, claimed asylum after his student visa expired and failed to consider U.S. citizenship for more than 40 years after arriving in the USA. He also sounded like someone who hasn't seriously learned/studied English. The Senator from Texas who is one of the leaders of the Americna Taliban might want to clean-up his family record a bit more before attacking others.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:37 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,513,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I don't know how many times it has to be repeated in here that the way to rid ourselves of illegals is to remove the incentives for them to remain here.
That's why the primary focus needs to be on the employers who enable the illegals to stay here. That's the incentive to entering/staying illegally. After that's taken care of the problem will be vastly more manageable.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:43 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,701,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
The best response to your fear mongering might be this:
The only one wearing a tin foil hat is you.

It's a legitimate question. What if you are an elderly person who is here illegally, will you get social security and Medicare? You've been in the shadows, have not been able to demonstrate that you paid anything into the Social Security system, will you be denied these benefits?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration