Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 05:19 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,357,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I've been stopped and questioned by border patrol agents 3 different times.
Not necessarily talking about border crossings here. It's to be expected that a person would be asked for identification and/or questioned when crossing a border.

Quote:
None ended up asking me to see an ID. Just like it's fairly easy to figure out between Willie Nelson and Mick Jagger which one is from Texas without asking for their ID, they can figure out without an ID.
There are plenty of people who live here and speak English with an accent. Some are born here and speak English as a second language. English is not an official language, so that alone shouldn't be cause for suspicion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 07:13 PM

1,357 posts, read 1,179,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
The other day I was talking to my boyfriend about something similar... A criminal pretending he is an illegal alien in order to avoid prison, or an actual US citizen pretending to be an illegal to get in-state tuition and financial aid.

Man Avoids Jail By Faking Illegal Immigrant Status | Fox News

"A Utah man who claimed to be an illegal immigrant from Mexico to avoid going to prison is now wanted by police after he returned to the United States and acknowledged his true identity to a judge.

(...)

The charges stem from a 2010 arrest when Alvarado told Salt Lake City police, a Utah state courts judge and federal immigration officials that he was actually Saul Quiroz and had emigrated from Mexico illegally. At the time, Alvarado was facing up to 15 years in prison for the possession of cocaine and heroin with the intent to distribute."
That is actually a great idea!!! Instead of telling them you're an illegal from Mexico you can tell them you're from Canada or a country in Europe.

Old 11-05-2011, 09:03 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,870,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
What were you irritated about? I just don't get it. Did you require counseling after being questioned? Did your life change traumatically? You know you are a citizen and have valid I.D. so what is the big problem? Aren't you glad that LE and BP check people to deter illegal aliens from entering our country and once here can be caught through questioning? How about terrorists trying to get through our border? Does it ever occur to you that we have LE and BP to protect our country and citizens like you? Why the demonization of them rather than being glad they are doing their jobs?
Prior to our second stop, the permanent Border Patrol was unusually shut down. Within a few miles afterwards our 8-year old had to go to the bathroom. We pulled off to the next rest stop, but it was closed down for the night.

As we circled around, there were two agents fueling their vehicle. I knew instantly that they would follow us out to pull us over. A few miles further down the highway they did.

We had all documentation, but one agent was obviously being trained, and delayed quite a bit as he shuttled between asking us questions, and returning to the senior agent at the back of our car. Shining the flashlight in the kids' eyes while my little girl waited for him to finish strained my patience as a parent. To me, a vehicle stop like we had the first time was much more tolerable.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:30 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,382,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Prior to our second stop, the permanent Border Patrol was unusually shut down. Within a few miles afterwards our 8-year old had to go to the bathroom. We pulled off to the next rest stop, but it was closed down for the night.

As we circled around, there were two agents fueling their vehicle. I knew instantly that they would follow us out to pull us over. A few miles further down the highway they did.

We had all documentation, but one agent was obviously being trained, and delayed quite a bit as he shuttled between asking us questions, and returning to the senior agent at the back of our car. Shining the flashlight in the kids' eyes while my little girl waited for him to finish strained my patience as a parent. To me, a vehicle stop like we had the first time was much more tolerable.
We have heard all your stories before. When are you going to get past this? I repeat, most LE and BP act within the law when asking for I.D.under lawful contact. If one can't produce one then they should be able to ask other questions such as are you in this country legally. Get over it.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:03 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,997,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Not necessarily talking about border crossings here. It's to be expected that a person would be asked for identification and/or questioned when crossing a border.

There are plenty of people who live here and speak English with an accent. Some are born here and speak English as a second language. English is not an official language, so that alone shouldn't be cause for suspicion.
I didn't cross any border when I was stopped and asked questions (but not required to show an ID) to border patrol agents. I was inside my own country.

I'm saying it's no big deal, they don't stop and demand you produce any ID.

Foreigners living here often speak no English and we all have an accent. Our accents will very often give us away. If you're from New York or Georgia you have an accent. So how you speak English can be a very good clue. Yes, inability to answer a single question in English most certainly should be cause for suspicion.

And if those who are born and rasised here refuse to ever learn English -- and they're given every opportunity to do so, then too bad so sad, they might get mistaken for a foreigner.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:46 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,861,957 times
Quote:
I didn't cross any border when I was stopped and asked questions (but not required to show an ID) to border patrol agents. I was inside my own country.

Foreigners living here often speak no English and we all have an accent. Our accents will very often give us away. If you're from New York or Georgia you have an accent. So how you speak English can be a very good clue. Yes, inability to answer a single question in English most certainly should be cause for suspicion.

And if those who are born and rasised here refuse to ever learn English -- and they're given every opportunity to do so, then too bad so sad, they might get mistaken for a foreigner.
Same happened to me one summer when returning from South Padre Island. No big deal and I thanked the officer for doing his job.

You travel down near the border then you should expect stops like this.
How else can they enforce the rules.

When I got stopped it was one of those "everyone turns off here" to be checked. Nothing random about it..everyone had to pull off.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Same happened to me one summer when returning from South Padre Island. No big deal and I thanked the officer for doing his job.

When I got stopped it was one of those "everyone turns off here" to be checked. Nothing random about it..everyone had to pull off.
Those who object are those with a victim mentality for Mexicans because of family/ethnic ties. Many claim falsely discrimination and unconstitutionality only because they don't want the illegals (Mexicans in particular) stopped and detected from entering our country. Their agenda is quite obvious.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:43 AM

5,299 posts, read 4,870,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

You are referring to a "permanent" Border Patrol checkpoint. Most traffic will be waved through based on appearance (I was once behind a car with Canadian license plates that was as well), with those that they want to focus on more sent to a "secondary" inspection area. Since the permanent checkpoints are considered "adjacent" to the border, there are reduced 4th Amendment protections for those profiled to "secondary".

Sure, if you are commonly waived through (don't fit the profile), you might think think checkpoints are fabulous, despite only making 2% of the illegal alien apprehensions nationwide...

Let's now cycle this back to general law enforcement personnel rather than the Border Patrol specifically. I am more inclined to believe traffic stops will evolved into the nature of my second Border Patrol stop, rather than the first. The profiling that occurs at Border Patrol checkpoints currently can't be avoided when law enforcement officers assume an expanded role of the same mentality for catching illegal aliens.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:24 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,357,474 times
Quote:

It's not a big deal to you. If you don't look white or if you speak with an accent, then it just might be a big deal. You don't really know.

I've also stopped at the intra-national checkpoints. I think they're a waste of my money, and I resent the fact that I actually have to stop and wait in a line of cars when I could be driving on the interstate to my destination. It's not a big deal, until we start 'taking more precautions' and making it a bigger deal than it already is. Just like TSA wasn't a big deal -- until your children or wife are strip-searched just to get on an airplane. And it's important that I bring up the TSA because legally, constitutionally, you have no more right to drive on an interstate than you do to fly in an aircraft. So that means if the TSA can strip search you for the good of public safety, what's stopping ICE or DEA or anyone from abusing your rights when you drive a car? Let me know if that's the kind of society you want. If it is, then I'll stop replying to you 'cause at least I'll know what your angle is.

Quote:
Really? Suspicion of what? What crime has been committed? Failure to speak English or understand is a crime in what part of the federal code or constitution?

Quote:
Yeah, and that's exactly what I thought you'd say. You're pretty brave with other people's civil liberties. I bet you wouldn't be that way if an officer asked you to step into a private room and pull down your pants because he wants to find out what you're wearing underneath.

Old 11-06-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
You are referring to a "permanent" Border Patrol checkpoint. Most traffic will be waved through based on appearance (I was once behind a car with Canadian license plates that was as well), with those that they want to focus on more sent to a "secondary" inspection area. Since the permanent checkpoints are considered "adjacent" to the border, there are reduced 4th Amendment protections for those profiled to "secondary".

Sure, if you are commonly waived through (don't fit the profile), you might think think checkpoints are fabulous, despite only making 2% of the illegal alien apprehensions nationwide...

Let's now cycle this back to general law enforcement personnel rather than the Border Patrol specifically. I am more inclined to believe traffic stops will evolved into the nature of my second Border Patrol stop, rather than the first. The profiling that occurs at Border Patrol checkpoints currently can't be avoided when law enforcement officers assume an expanded role of the same mentality for catching illegal aliens.
Profiling?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration