Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 02:01 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,106,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewgriff View Post
I am wondering what happens with legitimate tourists visiting the US who give birth. While I understand that they can still register the birth in the US and are entitled to citizenship, what happens to the parents who are there only as visitors and would normally be expected to leave the country after the 90 day period? Are they allowed to stay or adjust their visa or something?!

Thanks all. Your conversations are very informative....
No, the parents are not afforded any right to stay in the US beyond their current visa. I'm not sure how accurate the "anchor baby" claims are, as certain countries--such as Mexico and China among others--are subject to immigration caps. So, even though the child can apply for a visa for it's parents when it turns 21, the backlog and wait time for those types of visa is about 10 years. At a minimum, alien parents of a newborn in the United States are looking at a 31 year wait to become green card holders through their child.

While the child can be registered as a US citizen, most countries have a system that allows a child born to it's citizens--while overseas--to still be registered as a citizen of it's parent's home country. So you shouldn't get "stuck" in the US because you can't bring your baby home. Plus, most consulates will refuse to issue you a tourist visa to the US if you are pregnant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 05:12 PM

5 posts, read 49,209 times
Thumbs up More information, in detail...

Quote:
Hello. I am from Australia and have spent the last 35 days traveling throughout the USA by road and have to say I had the best time of my life in your magnificent country. I loved every state and aspect of the holiday.
I read a few articles of the culture of 'baby tourism' whereby women are coming from other countries with the specific intention of giving birth to claim citizenship for that child. Most of what I read has been because the mothers were illegals. I am wondering what happens with legitimate tourists visiting the US who give birth. While I understand that they can still register the birth in the US and are entitled to citizenship, what happens to the parents who are there only as visitors and would normally be expected to leave the country after the 90 day period?
Dont get the wrong idea, I am not planning to try it, but this must happen to legitimate holidayers. Are they allowed to stay or adjust their visa or something?! Thanks all. Your conversations are very informative....

Hope this adds some information; not sure how accurate it is, but appears researched to some degree

08/31/01 - Weigh Anchor! Enforce the Citizenship Clause

Old 08-10-2007, 05:29 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,700,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
No, the parents are not afforded any right to stay in the US beyond their current visa. I'm not sure how accurate the "anchor baby" claims are, as certain countries--such as Mexico and China among others--are subject to immigration caps. So, even though the child can apply for a visa for it's parents when it turns 21, the backlog and wait time for those types of visa is about 10 years. At a minimum, alien parents of a newborn in the United States are looking at a 31 year wait to become green card holders through their child.
I would add however, most parents of illegal alien children simply don't leave. Even if they are one of the very few that actually get caught and get brought before an immigration judge, most will be released until their court date even if they don't have an anchor baby. And during the time that they are awaiting their hearing, they actually get a legal green card from the government. And while in possession of this green card they can legally work in the US. At this point most illegals simply go to ground and never show up for their final court date. So the deportation is done on paper and mailed to the illegal aliens last known address. The vast majority of deportations that the US government claims to make are done in this manner with no actual deportation ever taking place.

Old 08-11-2007, 01:34 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,666,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
No, the parents are not afforded any right to stay in the US beyond their current visa. I'm not sure how accurate the "anchor baby" claims are, as certain countries--such as Mexico and China among others--are subject to immigration caps.
Don't know if you've noticed lately, but Mexicans in particular seem to be ignoring the immigration caps. Immigration sponsorship isn't just for the benefit of the parents, but also for the benefit of "anchor baby's" non-citizen siblings, present and future (to say nothing of being for the obvious benefit of the "anchor baby" him/herself). Also, you kind of ignored the second "anchor-baby" method whereby it makes it more difficult to deport illegals with citizen children. Some have successfully fought their deportation on that basis.

Old 08-14-2007, 04:48 PM

562 posts, read 666,219 times
Quote:
Hello. I am from Australia and have spent the last 35 days traveling throughout the USA by road and have to say I had the best time of my life in your magnificent country. I loved every state and aspect of the holiday.
I read a few articles of the culture of 'baby tourism' whereby women are coming from other countries with the specific intention of giving birth to claim citizenship for that child. Most of what I read has been because the mothers were illegals. I am wondering what happens with legitimate tourists visiting the US who give birth. While I understand that they can still register the birth in the US and are entitled to citizenship, what happens to the parents who are there only as visitors and would normally be expected to leave the country after the 90 day period?
Dont get the wrong idea, I am not planning to try it, but this must happen to legitimate holidayers. Are they allowed to stay or adjust their visa or something?!

Thanks all. Your conversations are very informative....
Thanks for visiting. My view is that no kid born here should be allowed citizenship unless his parents are already citizens themselves.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:34 PM

543 posts, read 1,232,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrey View Post
Thanks for visiting. My view is that no kid born here should be allowed citizenship unless his parents are already citizens themselves.
I agree, time to stop all the anchor babies.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:54 PM

156 posts, read 152,142 times
In the first place the 14th Amendment and the citizenship clause was written and raitfied for the ex-slaves and their children, not for any criminal that could muster up the ability to illegally cross our borders. In the second place, the children of any person not under the jurisdiction of this country was and is not supposed to be a citizen anyway.

Here are some links for you concerning this amendment.

A Dummies Guide to Understanding the Fourteenth Amendment

Anchor babies and the 14th amendment - CAIR - Colorado Alliance for Immigration Reform

Anchor Babies: born in the USA - Enormous taxpayer costs - Article by Frosty Wooldridge - speaker, author, environmentalist, patriot, bicyclist; Frosty promotes open discussion of environmental and U.S. national sustainability issues, and reduction o

Anchor Babies: Is Citizenship an Entitled Birthright?

Automatic citizenship -- change it or understand it?

Original Intent Treatise - 14th Amendment Clarified

Old 08-14-2007, 09:08 PM

484 posts, read 1,951,255 times
How can you change the 14th amendment without revoking the citizenship of millions of Blacks and Asians?

Old 08-14-2007, 11:00 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,666,884 times
You don't have to change the 14th Amendment. The current law granting citizenship to anyone born on U.S. soil is based on statutory law, not constitutional law. Changing that law is as simple as changing any other: a majority of both houses and a Presidential signature.

Old 08-17-2007, 07:06 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,674,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatless Wonder View Post
How can you change the 14th amendment without revoking the citizenship of millions of Blacks and Asians?
there would be no retroactive application. i don't think anyone would suggest such a thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration