Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 04:54 PM

1 posts, read 9,115 times

Advertisements

Hi I am thinking about moving to the Boise area but only if I can find a Spanish Immersion program for my son. He is in a spanish immersion program in san diego and it is amazing how fast he is learning.
Are there any Spanish Immersion programs in Idaho?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 05:15 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,019,605 times
I can understand the need and desire for Spanish in San Diego...but why Idaho? Not being critical, just curious. It's always great to have a 2nd language but I would not think immersion in Spanish up in Idaho would be as useful as it would be in So. Cal.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:40 PM

1,378 posts, read 6,211,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassandra156 View Post
Hi I am thinking about moving to the Boise area but only if I can find a Spanish Immersion program for my son. He is in a spanish immersion program in san diego and it is amazing how fast he is learning.
Are there any Spanish Immersion programs in Idaho?
Yes, there are and I believe it's new to Boise.......... try here:

Boise Schools Dual Language Program

and here:

Puentes Spanish Preschool supports Boise Schools' Dual Immersion- Puentes Language Programs

Old 10-08-2008, 08:19 PM

122 posts, read 349,006 times
My youngest daughter completed a dual immersion Spanish/English program from grades 1 -8 in Long BeachUSD. In 9th grade, she took and passed the exam for AP Spanish Literature, right now, she is completing a study abroad in Argentina. Whether the program is Spanish, French, Japanese, or some other language, numerous studies prove that there are immense long-term educational benefits for students who complete DI programs. Although it may seem that DI is for students whose first language is not English, and it is true that English Language Learners become better students as a result of being able to learn in their first language and make tranference to the second language; in fact, some of the greatest benefits are seen in students whose first language is English. For instance, learning a second language is best begun by age 5-7 when the brain is still able to process phonemes (language sounds). Unlike traditional American foreign language study that begins in middle or high school when learning a second language is more difficult and not likely to stay with a student after class is over, DI students will keep their second language their entire lives. For college and future work/career options, this is important. Regardless of where a child goes to school, dual immersion is an excellent educational program even if the area (Boise for instance) does not have a high second language demographic. Many school districts across the country have DI programs - it improves test scores, help to create a better educated citizen, and in areas that do have high ELL students, DI helps prevent low test scores, drop outs, and the need for remedial classes.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:32 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,019,605 times
Ah...now I understand! I hadn't thought about future employment, etc. I am old!!! LOL . Thanks Newflowers...that makes perfect sense.

Old 10-10-2008, 03:50 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,287,688 times
For the future, there are three languages that are a MUST: English, Mandarin Chinese, and Spanish. Next grouping would be Japanese, French, and Russian, but the need for each is secondary.

Global economic competition has forced many countries to require English-instruction from early childhood. While execution is often poor, many are able to go overseas to the US to gain undergraduate and graduate degrees. At the same time, US language instruction is focused on a "domestic implosion" scenario, whereby second-languaeg instruction is a battle over use of public dollars to teach children in their native language. Economics, much less global economics, has never been part of the debate.

My solution:
1) End Billingual Education as Practiced Today but ending public $$ to these programs. Immigrants to the US need to english fluency to be succeed in the US. Those coming from X can always use community groups to keep up their native tongues. And it is clear their native languages will continued to be used in daily activities.

2) End public spending on languages other than the top three. Make the second and others on the list fee-based (self-supportive) and not to the exclusion of the top three. It is about economics, not politics. For the top three, immersion prrograms are the way to go. At least two hours a day. Native speakers will of course be allowed to immerse themselves in their own languages (often learnign the language formally for the first time), but will also immerse themselves in English, as we end the current misguided direction of Bilnigual Education in the US. Isn't it ironic that parents who wish their kids to speak a foreign language insist on or sing the praises of immersion, while at the same time minority politics argues against English immersion??? Thick.

3) Massively fund scholarships for US students to study overseas. The ratio of foreign exchange students studying in the US to US students doing exchanges abroad is roughly ten to one. While this is appalling, it is nothign compared to Foreign students seeking degrees in the US versus Americans obtaining degrees abroad. I have not seen stats on this, but I would guess the ratio is closer to five hundred to one. the population of the world ex-USA is six billion (95% of the world). The vast majority do not function in English. We need to gain footholds in those markets. These scholarships should be made available to students further down the academic pecking order. Lots of kids will revive their career ambitions with the overseas experience. Right now, it is the domain of the rich and priveleged. Get US kids out there during high school and university.

If we do all three with political and financial commitment, America will be better off within her borders and better able to compete in zones in which we are losing advantages rapidly. Stick with economics as the guiding light, not the politics of shrill and self-aggrandizement. American strength has almost been its bias toward pragmitism and economic reality. So let's end the twin fantasies of Bilnigual Ed (as practised today) and English-only existence (which ignores the realities of the 21st century marketplace), and push forward an economics-based strategy for language instruction.

And so you know, my kids read, write and speak Mandarin and will do Spanish immersion when they get a bit older...

Old 10-10-2008, 03:57 AM

879 posts, read 2,858,374 times
I am learning Mandarin Chinese at the moment. Everyone thinks I'm crazy and some have even inferred I am stupid for taking Chinese and not Spanish. Well, they can think that all they want when I'm making all the money.

Anyways, I think Spanish is also a great language to learn. And, if not already it will soon be something very useful in the Boise Area.

Old 11-04-2008, 02:02 PM

1 posts, read 8,872 times
Default Spanish Immersion

Go to [URL="http://www.puentes.biz"]www.puentes.biz[/URL] or call 395-0633 Excellent choice for what you are looking for.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:49 AM

1 posts, read 8,773 times
Default Spanish Immersion Preschool in Boise

Hola Cassandra,

I saw that you were considering Boise and looking for a Spanish Immersion Preschool here. I am the co-owner of Puentes Language Programs in Boise. We started over 4 years ago offering after school Spanish and adult conversational Spanish classes in the Boise area, but in 2006 started Puentes Spanish Immersion Preschool and Daycare.

Our preschool program is based on the child-centered High Scope method and is entirely taught in Spanish. Our primary teacher is degreed in early childhood education, is from Columbia, and is loved by our students! Our goal is to make learning fun.

We hope you will check out our website at: http://www.puentes.biz/preschool.htm and will call us if you have any questions (208)344-4270. (the other number posted in this thread is the old office number, so this one is the best one to use). You can also email us at [email]puentes2004@msn.com[/email].

Gracias!

Puentes

Puentes. Building Bridges for You, Families, and Our Community

Old 12-02-2008, 01:50 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,839,717 times
Puentes,

Thank you for responding with your full contact info. I'm sure it's appreciate and fulfills the request of the thread-starter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho