Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 07:24 AM

6 posts, read 25,599 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
We are a late 40's couple who are very interested in coming to Idaho. Our youngest graduates this year and will be off to college and it is time to leave California. I have worked in the automotive dealership service dept. for 20 years and been in the management side for 14 years. I grew up in rural California in a small town. Ha no more of that here. Any ideas where would be the most likely area to find employment? We were looking south east Idaho, but are open to all. Thank you all for your input.
Dave and Sandy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 08:32 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
If you're looking to stay in the business, I happen to know that the Toyota dealership in Idaho Falls is in the midst of a huge expansion. Not sure if that helps you or not.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:06 AM

Thanks very much for the info!!! Will check into it.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:41 PM

31 posts, read 109,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampsaof View Post
Hello all,
We are a late 40's couple who are very interested in coming to Idaho. Our youngest graduates this year and will be off to college and it is time to leave California. I have worked in the automotive dealership service dept. for 20 years and been in the management side for 14 years. I grew up in rural California in a small town. Ha no more of that here. Any ideas where would be the most likely area to find employment? We were looking south east Idaho, but are open to all. Thank you all for your input.
Dave and Sandy
Just a suggestion... you may not want to announce your from Cali, if you do show up in Idaho. Don't take my word for it, read the messages on here.
And no, i'm not from Cali.... Native of Idaho.
Just be prepared for a lot of bull, not everyone is happy about people from Cali moveing to CDA. I just moved to Spokane to avoid it all.

Old 04-19-2008, 08:26 AM

I understand, I just wish people would judge people on who they are and not where they are from. We are a honest, clean hard working couple who are tired of the way California has gone.

Old 04-20-2008, 07:08 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,753,241 times
The problem with Californians is two fold:

- They move here because they like what they see and then proceed to "improve" things by making them just like California. "Oh, we love how rural it is. Now we just need to get more real restaurants and high tech jobs out here."

- They have made a lot of money and are willing to pay top dollar for housing and land, and then none of the locals can afford to live here.

Don't do either of those two things and you'll be fine.

Old 04-22-2008, 04:11 PM

40 posts, read 215,810 times
Love to help with your questions, could you give us a run down of specifics of what you and your wife are looking for in regards to the type of city you want to live in, amenities, etc. Also see the "visiting Pocatello" thread near this one, may be useful info there too. Good luck.

I agree with you on judging people for who they are and not where they are from. I'd still remove my license plates as soon as you move here though. LOL in a good way!

Old 05-04-2008, 06:46 AM

Well Bigtree, I can't agree with you more. I surely don't have alot of money...so no worries there lol. I was raised by parent who grew up during the depression in Texas and I was taught to respect others and their beliefs and NEVER take for granted anything. I know people from California have a bad reputation and some are well deserved!!! My wife and I are not some of those though.
Idaho Mom, The only thing my wife is asking for is a Target or Walmart close by lol. We are open to anything really, just want a nice town with nice people and to make a living. I am just a guy who likes to hunt with my dog and fish, not go to Macy's or drive a Porsche.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:35 AM

12 posts, read 45,851 times
I would like to share my experience with Idaho. We bought a house in Coeur d'Alene about a year ago, and yes, we are from Napa, California.....we are self employed and are currently running our business in both states. My hubby is a remodeling contractor. As far as people knowing we are from California, I never tried to hide it. My husband was in a very bad car accident in CDA recently (while driving his truck with California plates on it) and everyone that showed up on the scene was AWESOME! The sheriff and the tow truck driver were both from Cali, while the people stopping to offer medical help were from Idaho...I can't say enough about how helpful EVERYONE was!! During this past winter, our retired neighbor in CDA came over and snow plowed our driveway constantly, picked up our mail if we were in California and kept an eye on our house. We have met so many people in CDA (both from Idaho and from California) and I can honestly say that I have never felt any hostility or unwelcome in any way. I believe that you get back what you put out there. On the other hand, we also have awesome neighbors and friends in California. For the most part, people are people, wherever you go. Good luck in your journey. I hope you find what you're looking for
Sue

Old 05-04-2008, 10:01 AM

Thank you Sue. The problem I think I am going to have is finding employment. I have been in the automotive service side of car dealerships for 20 years and really don't know anything else. I did work on oil rigs for 10 years prior, but a little old for that now lol. I have to admit, it is a little scary making a move at 48 years old. But we a determined to get out of Cal.
Thanks all of you for your replies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho