Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 02:32 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,526,951 times

Advertisements

I also want to say that in all my travels with Cali plates in SE Idaho I have never experienced anything but kindness and friendliness on the part of Idahoans. I've never lived in ID, but bought a house in a small town. One time I went in to a gas station convenience store and they did not have an item in a brand I wanted. I seemed dismayed, but sure didn't expect that the next time I came in they would now be carrying my brand. I LOVE SE Idaho!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 01:17 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,447,101 times
Default Same in Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrees View Post
The problem with Californians is two fold:

- They move here because they like what they see and then proceed to "improve" things by making them just like California. "Oh, we love how rural it is. Now we just need to get more real restaurants and high tech jobs out here."

- They have made a lot of money and are willing to pay top dollar for housing and land, and then none of the locals can afford to live here.

Don't do either of those two things and you'll be fine.
Sorry but have to say they do same thing here in Alaska when they move up here. At first "it's oh how we love it up here." Next thing you know they want it to be just like the place they left, and we won't even talk about their driving in snow and ice.

Old 05-13-2008, 02:11 PM

35 posts, read 240,435 times
You might try the Lewiston area of North Central Idaho. Lewiston is growing, has walmarts and costco, but not as over developed as CDlane area and other parts of the State. If you want to shop in the larger cities Spokane is 2 hours away and Seattle is 5. Low elevation in the river valleys keeps you out of the snow when the rest of the state is snowed in. You indicated hunting with your dog and fishing. We have great upland bird hunting, waterfowl, and grouse in the forest. The Clearwater river flows thru town with sea run salmon and steelhead, and lots of trout and bass in other nearby rivers and lakes. Hard to beat North Central Idaho for outdoor opportunities. A couple large car dealer ships in Lewsiton, Rodgers toyota and others, check the internet. For home prices check by city on idaholandandhome.com.

Good luck

Old 05-13-2008, 06:42 PM

5 posts, read 24,599 times
Default Check farther north!

My husband and I are natives of the lovely and majestic Sandpoint Idaho, you should check it out online for some pics - it is the most beautiful place on earth! Good luck!

Last edited by North Idaho Native; 05-13-2008 at 07:18 PM..

Old 05-30-2008, 12:41 AM

3 posts, read 12,048 times
Default let me know if interested

Hi Grampsaof,

My last message got deleted because I was advertising my house for sale. Like I said, though, if you would like more information, please email me at pspulley@q.com

Thanks!

Old 05-30-2008, 08:18 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,293,017 times
I don't buy any sentiment that suggests that one should move somewhere and willingly supress themselves and their economic well-being. Poppycock. There is a huge difference between respecting one's new surroundings and not contributing to better society and one's family in discourse and action.

The notion that one should transform oneself into Mr & Mrs Native Local is laughable to me. There is this prevailing notion that every Californian arrives with a van full of Valley Girls, with Hollywood shallowness and garishness, and with an attitude that dismisses the local culture as that of backward, little people. LOL!! Where are such people? I have never met such a person. Perhaps too many are watching too much TV!

Sandpoint is a city largely of transplants (many within the past two-three generations). The way I see it, the population that comes here is very self-selective. They are looking to get in touch with themselves, to be somewhere that does not require one's analytical brain to be firing on all cylinders, all the time (as might be the case in SF, NYC, London, etc.), but a place where one can think and listen...and listen...

To those who start a little high tech company, I say bravo...so do the dozen or so people that no longer have to make minimum wage at a retail gig or to young locals who are grateful at being able to build a career and yet can remain in Sandpoint. To the person who starts a nonprofit, a community organization where there is none, or a movement to protect our natural beauty: Right On! I salute you. We need such passion and commitment. To those who have the money and options before them and decide to spend their money at local businesses: Brilliant! You are englightened to know that money spent in the community creates a virtuous circle.

I should say that I do not travel in circles of bittnerness and self-pity. The Sandpointians I know have my undue respect for the legacy that has been bestowed upon them either by their parents or by their discovery of SP. I am humbled by them and they serve as my role models each and every day.

Perhaps the most offensive thing to happen in the past three-four years was the building of Panhandle State Bank and its usurping of views and parking spaces. PSB is hardly Californian but local. But then again, if the bank serves the many needs of the local community, why not cut them some slack.

And then there is the the future UI campus in Sandpoint. If/when share prices are restored to Coldwater Creek, the gift to NID will be that of a New Yorker. And why not provide local opportunities for local people.

So please, enough with the ridiculous and sophomoric tirades on "Calis" and other euphemisms for outsiders who actually give their best to the community. A community is a living entity that will grow and morph organically as the world around her changes. One cannot and should not preserve the past. If you are in love with the past, work as a docent in a museum. Instead, let's maintain a timeless integrity, dignity, optimism, openness, and respect for the community and one another. How about we judge one's deeds on the character of one's content rather than on stereotypes. Let's try learn something new everyday. My teachers are from all over and one can never stop learning.

Best, S
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho