Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 04:19 PM

199 posts, read 316,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
Okay I know the road. I'm pretty sure there is no road name on it Nd we just tend to call it the PeeWee Trail road because it goes back to that trailhead. I don't think it's even a county road, I think it's a forest service road but I could be wrong. The county doesn't plow it so there is an indicator.
The whole McAbee Falls thing is odd because there really aren't any visible falls either.

Thanks mistyriver for responding, it does look like the area I was going to can also be accessed using NF-416 off of 57, the GPS did route us over there when we used it to attempt to find the road after no success off Peninsula. PeeWee Creek did run through the back of one of the properties.

Who knows what google was thinking when the assign the names on their maps for the backwoods roads of america.

Thanks again,
Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 06:23 PM

488 posts, read 1,177,475 times
Hey Don, if you liked the selection of guns at Walmart, you should have gone across the street to North 40. That's my favorite store there. For a guy, it's like being a kid in a candy store. They probably have 20 times more guns there than Walmart. Chainsaws, log spliters, generators, ranch supplies, hardware, hunting, fishing, camping, automotive, atv/utv accessories, and a whole lot more.

Old 02-13-2015, 07:20 PM

39,876 posts, read 26,550,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra don View Post
Hi Sage,

Wow, a Ducati, very nice........I've had 2 Honda's and 2 Kawasaki's.

That's one of the things about Idaho that this forum educated me on.....woohoo, I can ride my ATV on the street, can't do that here in Ca unless the road is closed. Got pulled over by the Sheriff once for doing so whole riding to the store....it was easier to take the quad than the Jeep, at least he did not ticket me....

We have the same situation here with winter sand on the road and wildlife crossing the hiway, my wife whacked a deer once down in Placerville, always lots of them laying open the side of the road along with and endless supply of Raccoon's and Skunks.

I've ridden street bikes all my life, I like rice burning crotch rockets, never really been attracted to cruiser types. And being a "lane splitter" I really needed the agility of a sport bike, ya gotta be nimble if your gonna split lanes especially when riding in the Los Angeles area.

Thanks for the ATV street info.

Regards,
Don
Hi Don,

ATVs are legal on county and "city" roads and streets, not (currently) numbered state highways, or interstates.. Normally that's not a big deal, but in many small, rural towns, the state highway is the main street...and might see 20 cars a day. We're working to get the law changed so that ATVs are legal on state highways with speed limits of 45 or less. Kind of ironic that bicycles are legal on state highways plodding along at 10 miles an hour, but an ATV doing 60 is not, but it is what it is. There are thousands of miles of forest service dirt roads, ATV and bike trails here, it's a great area for outdoor activities. I've gotten a little more involved with ADV and dual sport bikes than quads over the last few years. You might want to take a look at the thread on the Idaho Backcountry Discovery Route for some more info. I'm glad you enjoyed your trip, would love to show you around the backcountry sometime.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:28 PM

46 posts, read 66,739 times
Default Dumb question

I kind of get what ADV means, but what do the letters stand for? And what is the difference between an ADV and a dirt bike?

Old 02-14-2015, 12:01 AM

29,220 posts, read 22,404,249 times
Adventure rider motorcycles, cdelite. They're a cross between a dirt bike and a road bike. They are larger and heavier than some dirt bikes, and the seating is more like a touring motorcycle, but they have a dirt bikes' abilities on unpaved roads, to a lesser degree. The best ones have good capability in both areas, and they're gaining popularity.

A buddy got into motorcycling about 10 years ago, and bought his second bike, an ADV, about 3 years ago. His is a BMW, and he sold his first, a cruiser, after he bought it because he wasn't using the Harley anymore. There are so many alternate routes out here and so many places a rider can pull off a highway and camp rough for the night or take a sightseeing side trip that make these bikes a lot of fun to ride out here.

A second friend bought one too. They know each other, and although they live quite a long distance from each other, they plan trips where they can meet someplace and head off to someplace else. The logistics become complicated, and I think that's one of the things they like the best about their rides.

Old 02-14-2015, 10:02 AM

356 posts, read 521,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerat View Post
Hey Don, if you liked the selection of guns at Walmart, you should have gone across the street to North 40. That's my favorite store there. For a guy, it's like being a kid in a candy store. They probably have 20 times more guns there than Walmart. Chainsaws, log spliters, generators, ranch supplies, hardware, hunting, fishing, camping, automotive, atv/utv accessories, and a whole lot more.
Ya beat me to it, lakerat! Daddy Lion had to stay in CA and work during the first 18 months of our Idaho life and, when he came to visit, we had to go to Big R to visit the gun counter. The first thing he did when he got his Idaho license was go to Big R, buy a gun, and walk out the door with it. Because he could.

(BTW Don, Big R recently was renamed North 40 Outfitters, because there is another chain of stores with the same name.)

Old 02-14-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
You really covered a lot of ground! Very similar to my property-hunting trip in 2008, except it was in August, and it didn't cover Priest Lake. But that was my 5th trip to NID! The first three times we were just visiting. The fourth time it dawned on us that we were putting down mental roots already, so we might as well find a spot of our own...

I'm trilled that you enjoyed Clark Fork! I can imagine the view from up on Bear Claw with the low clouds hugging the Monarchs. Now you can start imagining it on a bright, sunny day where you can see all the way to Schweitzer across the delta and the lake! It is an incredibly scenic place, on both sides of the river. The view from the south side includes the rugged peaks of the Cabinets. If you check out my picture album here, you'll see a bunch of pics from CF, including sunset pics from the Bridge. We were drawn to CF even on our first visit, although we had no idea then that we'd end up being part of the community (at least during summers, for now...).

Yup, if you want remote land with a view, up Mosquito Creek toward Sugarloaf, and Old Range Road is where you want to look. We decided against 20 acres on Sugarloaf because it was too remote for us, but it was gorgeous up there. And since you're already used to mountain living, you know all about the wildlife that comes with the territory.

If you have any specific questions about CF that I might be able to answer, feel free to PM me.

Hi CFF,

Yeah, I had to cover a lot of ground, only had 2 full days to take a look around. Two days was not really enough, a week would have been great, my wife is real busy at work and that's all time she could get.
We are going to try and head back up in late spring, will be nice to see what NID looks like when its all green.

I was actually surprised my wife liked Clark Fork, especially the town itself. Looking forward to when we can get back up and see the area when it is sunny, though Sunday the 8th was not too bad.

Checked out your Clark Fork album, awesome pics, gonna show them to my wife later, I'll also check out your other albums. For the most part my pics were pretty boring being all gray and such, doing some stuff in post processing to make them pop a little and not so bland. I use a Nikon and always shoot in RAW (.nef) format, still have about a 100 pics to process from RAW and then use some of my tools from Topaz Labs give the pics some character and more visually appealing.

I don't know what originally made me want to move to Id, it just came out of the blue, thought I'd be living where I currently live till the end. It's really nice up here, I am rural but I live in what I call "forest residencial", but I can walk out my back door and keep walking and not run into any homes until Tahoe (50 miles away), wanted to be further out with more land but my wife wanted our daughter to be close to friends. Pollock Pines for the most part is made up of small neighborhoods spread throughout the forest (very few homes even have a fence), there are no stop lights and our little downtown has 1 stop sign.

When we come back for sure we will be looking very closely at CF, I want to end up with what I really wanted when we moved here, more land, no neighbors in sight, out building or 2, a stream or pond on the land. I put in 2 small ponds in front of my house, only 300 gal or so with small waterfall, at least I can see and hear water. For years it was the local dining spot for the Raccoon's, finally put an end to that.

If I have questions about the CF area I'll for sure PM ya, I'm sure some will come up.

-Don

Old 02-14-2015, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerat View Post
Hi lakerat,

Normally I would not be doing my gun shopping at Walmart, wanted to compare to our Walmart, though I have bought ammo and accessories there. Gonna have to check North 40, sound like a big boys toy store I'll have to visit. I really wish .22 ammo would be in stock like it used to be, would like to go out plinking but don't want to use up what I like to keep on hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Hi Don,

ATVs are legal on county and "city" roads and streets, not (currently) numbered state highways, or interstates.. Normally that's not a big deal, but in many small, rural towns, the state highway is the main street...and might see 20 cars a day. We're working to get the law changed so that ATVs are legal on state highways with speed limits of 45 or less. Kind of ironic that bicycles are legal on state highways plodding along at 10 miles an hour, but an ATV doing 60 is not, but it is what it is. There are thousands of miles of forest service dirt roads, ATV and bike trails here, it's a great area for outdoor activities. I've gotten a little more involved with ADV and dual sport bikes than quads over the last few years. You might want to take a look at the thread on the Idaho Backcountry Discovery Route for some more info. I'm glad you enjoyed your trip, would love to show you around the backcountry sometime.

Hi Toyman at Jewel Lake,

Ya know I just can't seem to find anything about Idaho I don't like, being able to ride your ATV to the store or friends house on the road is just icing on the cake. I really wish we could do that here, I drive up to the Chevron station every morning to get my smokes and Rock Star, it's 2 miles away and riding my ATV would sure would have saved gas......been going to this station for 20 years, kind of a place where the local old guys hang out and BS in the morning. The guy that owns it, his wife died recently, he's owned the station since '72 and just sold it to an Indian guy (dot not feather), it's the end of an era here as far 13 Mile Post goes, prices there have already risen, it now just feels like any other gas station down in the Sacramento valley.

Thanks LionFamily for the additional information on North 40 Outfitters, just visiting their website right now.....

Old 02-14-2015, 11:24 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,754,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LionFamily View Post

(BTW Don, Big R recently was renamed North 40 Outfitters, because there is another chain of stores with the same name.)

The Big R stores in our area are confusing with their name changes. When we came here in 2002 they were Big R (except there was no Sandpoint store, that was Kmart) then they changed the name to Murdoch's, then back to Big R and now to North 40 Outfitters. I get that the Big R regions are owned by different people and they think using the Big R name is confusing when they want to have their own identity, but the frequent name changes are worse IMO. Pick a name and stick with it.

Old 02-14-2015, 07:00 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,846,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra don View Post

Ya know I just can't seem to find anything about Idaho I don't like, being able to ride your ATV to the store or friends house on the road is just icing on the cake. I really wish we could do that here, I drive up to the Chevron station every morning to get my smokes and Rock Star, it's 2 miles away and riding my ATV would sure would have saved gas......been going to this station for 20 years, kind of a place where the local old guys hang out and BS in the morning. The guy that owns it, his wife died recently, he's owned the station since '72 and just sold it to an Indian guy (dot not feather), it's the end of an era here as far 13 Mile Post goes, prices there have already risen, it now just feels like any other gas station down in the Sacramento valley.

Thanks LionFamily for the additional information on North 40 Outfitters, just visiting their website right now.....
Don,

I'm sure you know that once you move here you will find things about NID you don't like. But for us, it was like a 90/10 thing, where 90% of everything up here was WAY better (by a massive scale) and 10% were things I like less than SoCal.

But IMO you will be best served the sooner you realize what you likely WON'T like about NID, so you don't ever wind up with "mover's remorse". For me, it's the bugs, poor work ethic of many building contractors and service guys I've dealt with, mud season, and the fact that the good sportbike-riding twisties have either too much wildlife or dirt/debris to be much fun at speed (but I switched to an ADV bike and a Harley so I'm good). Maybe I'll get another dedicated track/race bike and go play in Seattle or make the trek back down to Thunderhill to scratch that itch. Oh, and it was harder that I thought to find a good church where we found a good fit. We have a really good church now, but it's a drive.

Point is...the things that I don't like about NID are really pretty minor. The things I HATED about California were critical breaking-point issues in both life and business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho