Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 10:13 PM

2 posts, read 5,753 times

Advertisements

Talk about being judgmental. So you have this bad image of Mormans. well let me tell you that a morman would be there in a instant to move or help out next non LDS. Mormans are not as bad as you think. they worship GOD just like any other Christian. Mormans are friendly and never will hesitate to step in and give a fellow child of god a hand. If dont seem to as helpful they to have a life just like you. i think you would find it best to live here around the the latter day saints because saints is what you;ll find. there are just as many non lds and there as LDS. so welcome I am LDS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2006, 04:27 PM

41 posts, read 199,456 times
I raised my kids in Rupert. They grew up fine:-) and we're not LDS. We never had any problem that way; they're good moral people and make great neighbors. We got along great with the Hispanics too: they're hardworking people and our family -especially our kids - made friends with many of them. People are talking about gangs but that got squashed about 5 years ago.

I finished my bachelors degree driving to ISU in Pocatello every day. It's 75 miles, but that's not like driving 75 miles on California freeways (I grew up in Oakland): we don't have the heavy traffic so the only time it's really stressful is in winter weather (and to be honest, that CAN be stressful). But with CSI, ISU, and U of I now having a satellite campus in Burley, you can get many degrees without driving any further than that.

During my time at ISU I came to enjoy Pocatello, and two of my sons chose to stay there after they finished at ISU; the one still in college plans to move back to Rupert after he graduates. Pocatello has the advantages of a city in activities & shopping, but fewer traffic problems than even Twin Falls has now. Property values vary greatly but you can still get some nice houses for under 100k (both of my sons did).

On the other hand, Rupert's a buyer's market for real estate so you can get some real bargains, even in country acreages. That's because, to be honest, jobs ARE hard to find here. It IS rural and agriculturally based, as they've said. If you're in the education or medical field, you've got a job. I do like the hometown feel of Rupert, and it has some old-fashioned "Town Square" events that really bring the community together. To give you an idea of the slower pace, we just got our second and third traffic lights in town a couple of years ago:-)

It all depends on what you're looking for. If you want peace and quiet, come to Rupert. If you want the city advantages, Pocatello is great.

Good luck to you!

Old 12-18-2006, 04:47 PM

9 posts, read 36,854 times
Default Welcome!!

Please don't worry about the so called mormon rumors, while I consider myself a JackMormon, they have been the truest, nicest bunch of people I have ever run into . That is world wide as well, I got lost in Madrid Spain once- I was a terrified teenager and recognized the LDS missionairies(who couldn't right??!).I approached them for help. Not only did they get me back to the University, but made sure that I had met some locals to help me for the rest of my studies in college..
As for the area that is pretty hard to say since Pocatello and Twin FAlls are so different. It may only be 90miles apart but that's like saying San Jose and Santa Cruz are the same! As for the h igh schools-great stuff here. What are your kids into??That would help alot. We moved to Pocatello area,because I prefer the water sports and mtns, not to mention Jackson Hole and Yellowstone are pretty much only a hop skip and a jump away. We have the University here, all the ARTS,variety(belly dancing,tattoos,rodeos, Indian pow wows, cowboys and a great electronics base) so-what can you contribute? Come up to visit-bring the kids and American Falls will show you the fun-Welcome no matter where you go though

Quote:
Originally Posted by frybergerfamily View Post
Hi, my husband, two kids and myself are looking into moving to Idaho. Actually we have been trying for months now, but it looks like my husband may be getting offered jobs around Rupert and maybe around Pocatello. We don't know anything except what we've researched. We just want to get out of California so our kids can have a better life. We don't fit in out here as we are too conservative for Southern California.We are good people but are not LDS and I'm worried that my kids will not be treated nice from all of the negative things I have read. We have one in high school and one in the last year of middle school. We just want them to have a simplified life and we want to get them out of here before it's too late! Can anyone help us figure out what areas might best welcome us and which areas are nice to raise kids and that are pretty safe and low crime? We would really appreciate any help. Thanks!

Old 12-23-2006, 11:30 PM

610 posts, read 3,324,434 times
Twin Falls, maybe. Rupert, no. Spent a year there one decade. Sometimes, here in the Intermountain region, the mormons (LDS) are the cleansing element. Pocatello, maybe. There will be an LDS influence almost everywhere out here except in some of the more isolated areas of ID. Weather is better in Twin than in Pokey but Pokey (Pocatello) is a college town. Boise area is booming still, I think but already overcrowded with housing shortages and sky-high prices. Burley is a little better than Rupert but still not "happening". Twin isn't giant - but it seems Twin is always trying.

Old 08-28-2007, 12:51 PM

13 posts, read 51,175 times
Wow! There used to be some Frybergers living in Rupert years ago. A big family name then. Dunno if any are still around or if the spelling is the same but quite a coincidence. My vote is for the Rupert, Burley area. Good Luck

Old 08-28-2007, 12:53 PM

13 posts, read 51,175 times
Man, I'm not Mormon but would rather be around them than most idiots I meet that aren't. Don't worry about the Mormons in Idaho. My vote is for Rupert!!!

Old 01-04-2008, 09:31 PM

1 posts, read 3,313 times
I grew up in Murtaugh,went to school with 90% mormons,played main string in football and basketball.Never had a problem with religion.That was in the late 50s.State champs
GO RED DEVILS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho