Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 08:20 AM

235 posts, read 375,539 times

Advertisements

Thanks very much - I will sure check her out. 'Preciate the info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 10:48 AM

KTMMan - I tried the web site you listed and then had to google her because it went to a different site. It is actually thepioneerwoman.com and thanks, because she has a lot of great looking receipes.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:46 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,743,697 times
I liked Ree Drummond when she first started her blog but good grief, she's turned into a caricature of herself. Her TV show makes me grind my teeth. My daughter tapes it so she can torture me with Ree's adolescent "creaky voice".

She does take beautiful pictures though.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:48 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,161,188 times
The simple roast chicken recipe reminds me of one I discovered by accident....

We used to have an old-fashioned countertop rotisserie. One day when I was about 10, my mom pointed me at a chicken in the kitchen sink and said "Wash it well inside and out." So I did... rather to excess. Wound up with about a quart of water trapped under the skin... looked like it had Extreme Chicken Bloat. My mom was horrified, but not being one to waste food, cooked it anyway... and that was the best, juiciest rotisseried chicken in the history of chicken!!

Old 10-01-2012, 08:35 AM

Mistyriver, I made your roast yesterday and it was super good! My husband really liked it. He may be blond/blue-eyed, but I think he has some Latino in their somewhere as he loves all things "Pepper-related" and the more, the hotter, the better! I am not a pepper person, but it seasoned the meat nicely, was super tender and we'll be having it as leftovers this evening. Thanks again for passing that along.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:33 PM

291 posts, read 669,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
I liked Ree Drummond when she first started her blog but good grief, she's turned into a caricature of herself. Her TV show makes me grind my teeth. My daughter tapes it so she can torture me with Ree's adolescent "creaky voice".

She does take beautiful pictures though.
Misty, maybe I'm just jealous of anybody who lives five miles off the highway.

Old 10-07-2018, 09:48 AM

1 posts, read 486 times
Default Yes PLEASE

I'm very interested in buying Hutterite poultry in bulk asap, chickens & Turkeys both. PLEASE can someone share a contact with me for their Montana farm or anyone who is bringing their poultry to the Idaho Falls Area? I've been trying to make this connection for a while and would greatly appreciate any help.

Old 10-07-2018, 11:15 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryBowlSoup View Post
I'm very interested in buying Hutterite poultry in bulk asap, chickens & Turkeys both. PLEASE can someone share a contact with me for their Montana farm or anyone who is bringing their poultry to the Idaho Falls Area? I've been trying to make this connection for a while and would greatly appreciate any help.
You can contact the Hutterites directly:

Hutterites

It appears that their closest colony, at least by their website, is in Big Sky, Montana. That group's daughter colony is in Hidden Lake, far to the northeast of Big Sky. The daughter colony's mother colony is in Milford, Montana.

I know nothing about the folks who live in Big Sky, but I'm sure contacting their mother church will give you all the info you and they need. You will have to write them a letter and send it to their post office box, but if you need their poultry in bulk, I'm sure they will be happy to oblige.

Since the Hutterites are extremely co-op in everything they do, even if the poultry isn't grown in Big Sky, they'll make the best arrangements possible to get you what you need when you need it.

Since Big Sky is only 150 miles away from Idaho Falls, it may be possible for you to save time and/or money if you can make the drive yourself to pick up the goods. It's something you should talk about with them if you need the poultry quickly and have the means to transport the product.

Unlike the Amish, the Hutterites accept more of life's modern conveniences. Your poultry will be delivered by some Hutterites driving a truck, and the poultry will be frozen as solid as a brick when you get it. They flash-freeze their poultry using the same things the big producers use.

But they may not allow use of the computer. I know they use telephones and faxes, but each sub-group of the Amish community makes its own allowances as to what is permitted to be used or not.

It may seem odd to us, but to the Hutterites, keeping their lives as simple and plain as possible means choosing what can be accepted or not. They believe simplicity comes in many degrees, but the best life is one that has something that must be denied if simplicity is to be achieved.

But simplicity for the Hutterites cannot interfere with the business of keeping everyone alive, happy, and as prosperous as the individual wants to be.
A good life is one filled with hard work, family, and service to God and to others. So for one sub-group of the Amish, the Hutterites, a truck may be allowed as a necessity, a bow to modern life's necessities, but a personal vehicle is a luxury, not a necessity.

The Amish as a group are the most conservative of all, and their faith goes all the way back to the Reformation in the late Middle Ages. They worked out all their internal differences of faith long ago among themselves.

The Hutterites have a more liberal outlook when it comes to machinery, but they are still Amish at the core, so they still follow most of the Amish strictures. While the guys who show up driving the truck all know how to drive it and have licenses to drive, none of them may own their own car, or a telephone, or a computer. But that doesn't mean someone in their office doesn't have those things or is forbidden to use them at work.

For sure, none will be wearing Dockers when they come, or Nike shoes, or a Hula shirt. They all adhere to dressing simply and plainly. Fashion is frivolity. Clothing is a necessity.

Once on their list, you will always be on their list. Once they know your needs, they will contact you afterwards.

Old 10-07-2018, 11:23 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
I made a mistake in my previous post.
There is a Hutterite colony in Twin Falls. They don't sell poultry however- they make sheds and other outbuildings as their communal industry.

They have a shed dealership in Idaho Falls- Rex Shurtliff runs it on the N. Yellowstone Hwy, just east of the city limits. It used to be an RV sales company.

Interestingly, the Hutterites were manufacturers first. They became farmers later on. So for them, a return to manufacturing as a way of supplementing their lives is only a return to the skills they once had.

Old 10-07-2018, 03:47 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,743,697 times
The colony who we bought from is in Chester, Montana.
I sent Glorybowlsoup my contact info for Kelly and maybe she. Knows of someone doing the same thing that Kelly did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho