Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 12:21 PM

3 posts, read 19,227 times

Advertisements

I've been considering a move to Northern Idaho and have looked at several communities. When looking at country properties north of Post Falls/Rathdrum area. I noticed there is a large Train Yard. One property that I really like is within 1/4 mile of this train yard, along highway 53. If there is anyone that lives in this area that could testify to the amount of noise this train yard generates at night, it would be helpful in my decision. I don't think I would be able to sleep at night with the sound of train engines, train horns and train cars that go bump in the night. But there seems to be quite a few homes in this area, so maybe its not so bad??

Attached is a Google Earth Screenshot of the area in mention.

~Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Post Falls, Rathdrum area, Train Yard Noise?-train-yard.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 09:26 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,274,480 times
That is a refueling depot and the trains can drive through as opposed to having to detach. There are a lot of trains, seems almost constant. I have trouble crossing the 53 sometimes when they block 2 or three intersections at at time. There is a plan to "bridge the valley" but that is a ways off with the state of the economy. I don't live too close to the depot but I imagine it is plenty noisy. When riding along the 53 some of those engines are really loud. The horns of course are also loud, and useless. I can smell asphalt on Pleasant View and Prairie, don't know if it would go all the way to where you are talking. Be advised that it is much more windy out in the open out there. I would look on the other side of the 53 in Hidden Valley for instance back in the woods a few miles.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:17 AM

692 posts, read 3,141,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post
That is a refueling depot and the trains can drive through as opposed to having to detach. There are a lot of trains, seems almost constant. I have trouble crossing the 53 sometimes when they block 2 or three intersections at at time. There is a plan to "bridge the valley" but that is a ways off with the state of the economy. I don't live too close to the depot but I imagine it is plenty noisy. When riding along the 53 some of those engines are really loud. The horns of course are also loud, and useless. I can smell asphalt on Pleasant View and Prairie, don't know if it would go all the way to where you are talking. Be advised that it is much more windy out in the open out there. I would look on the other side of the 53 in Hidden Valley for instance back in the woods a few miles.
Hi,

Not sure if you know where this is ...

Golden Spike Estates 55+ housing
8580 Yosemite
Rathdrum Idaho

Considering, and having a hard time trying to find out the O.A. Train effect on this area.
As you point out, it's not just noise pollution.

Can you help ??

Thanks.

SF

Old 11-13-2011, 06:52 PM

It looks like a nice little community, clean and simple. It was quiet this afternoon, but it is Sunday. Close to town. I don't know how much noise that train refueling station makes. There is also a concrete plant or gravel pit type thing close by. The Golden Spike is at the end of civilization if you will and I am not sure what it is zoned for just on the other side of the fence. Looks like high power lines going by too. As far as train horns, Greensferry has an underpass so they don't blow there and downtown just made a "silent zone" so that should eliminate a lot of toots. If I were in charge I would ban those things countrywide. I just read that they want to ship coal to China so 50 trains a day of coal would come through from Wyoming and Montana on the way to the coast. So that would be more noise and pollution from coal dust.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:47 AM

11 posts, read 21,941 times
We moved to Post Falls just last week, near HWY 41. I can hear train whistles at night, but they aren't loud... they're actually kind of relaxing (although they woke me up one time). Unfortunately I'm not yet familiar enough with the area to comment on HWY 53.

Old 11-14-2011, 10:27 AM

692 posts, read 3,141,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post

It looks like a nice little community, clean and simple. It was quiet this afternoon, but it is Sunday. Close to town. I don't know how much noise that train refueling station makes. There is also a concrete plant or gravel pit type thing close by. The Golden Spike is at the end of civilization if you will and I am not sure what it is zoned for just on the other side of the fence. Looks like high power lines going by too. As far as train horns, Greensferry has an underpass so they don't blow there and downtown just made a "silent zone" so that should eliminate a lot of toots. If I were in charge I would ban those things countrywide. I just read that they want to ship coal to China so 50 trains a day of coal would come through from Wyoming and Montana on the way to the coast. So that would be more noise and pollution from coal dust.
Thanks much Elousv for the picture and your comments too.
I talked to the owners of the community today and they said that there was a rail about 1 mile away and they could at times feel the trains going by, but once inside there wasn't much noise. I am not sure how to gauge a biased answer of this kind.
50 added trains a day is HUGE, and I agree on the added noise and possible coal pollution to the whole area could be a factor.
Even though China is still building Coal Fired Plants like crazy it is also building Nuclear plants as fast as they can, so sometime down the road they will reduce their coal requirements but that could be quite a while.
They are in the process of Hoarding all the Natuaral Resources they can get there hands on at a Deal, with all the Dollars we send them for Wally World Junk etc. etc.
Since this would be our last move I am very scepticle about making the wrong move. This place looks very nice on paper, but as usual there can be more to the story if you dig a little.
I am curious as to how you heard about the China coal deal? I would like to research/follow it a little more.

Thanks again,

SF

Old 11-14-2011, 06:31 PM

It was in the local newspaper, CDA Press. You can google on 'stop the coal trains'. The article mentioned Peobody Energy could export 24M tons/year.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:36 PM

2 posts, read 9,725 times
Elousv:
I live just of hwy53 not far from the refueling station and switching yard. The trains are very noisy and the seem to change cars at all times. They do a lot of banging and clanging also the Engines Idle and that is very annoying. When bought our property in1978 we had a lot of trees across from our property and that toned down the noise. But someone bough the adjoining property and cut down some trees so the trains got louder and louder. we also have trouble using the crossing at MaQuire Rd. If they put more coal trains traveling through it will be a lot wore. Hope this makes your decision easier. Oh by the way we are not far from Hauser lake.
D S

Old 02-22-2014, 12:39 PM

2 posts, read 9,725 times
Elousv
Hi. I just did a reply to you and it was meant for I believe the Mountain Man.
I am sorry. Thanks D. S.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:42 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,662,916 times
The Mountain Man hasn't been back since 2011, but I'm sure your story will help others decide. Welcome to the forum!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho