Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 08:44 PM

863 posts, read 2,994,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlee_irene View Post
Thank you both.
But just a few questions for you both
first for DESERTRYDER
is employment hard to find out there?

banjomike
What do you mean the people are different?

Thank you both
Yes, getting employment in Boise is difficult these days. There have been a lot of layoffs over the past 3 years and there are a lot of skilled, qualified people looking for work. I know many people who have been unemployed or under employed for over a year, family included. Boise is very connected (read: isolated, connected through the church and close family ties) and has ALWAYS been a difficult market. These days it's even toughter as there's not been a lot of new business growth. There are jobs, but depending on what you are looking for, competition might be tough.

I'm not trying to scare you off, just be real.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 11:01 PM

5 posts, read 12,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlee_irene View Post
Thank you both.
What do you mean the people are different?
Look at city-data.com info page for each of the several major Idaho cities (there aren't too many of them). On the page, look under percentage of various categories of amount of education/professionals (and where might you fit into that, or might not). Also look at the same info page for religion - how many people in area are associated with some religion and what religions if any are dominant. If it is relevant to you, on same page look at cost of living index and crime stats. Maybe compare some of these stats to city-data pages for where you live or have lived. (Some stats are a year or older, but what are you gonna do?)

Old 08-09-2010, 09:17 PM

4 posts, read 16,844 times
Note that a lot of things are either a) closed or b) close early on Sundays in Boise, much like small towns do. I wouldn't call it the most exciting city to live in, but it is definitely growing and a very good place to plant some roots in. It's great for families, too. The cost of living is good... Boise is definitely like Seattle's much younger sister but I guess they predict it will be the size of Seattle in about 30 years.

But yeah, I definitely recommend that city for a young couple to get started in.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:22 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,365,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by panbirote View Post
Note that a lot of things are either a) closed or b) close early on Sundays in Boise, much like small towns do. I wouldn't call it the most exciting city to live in, but it is definitely growing and a very good place to plant some roots in. It's great for families, too. The cost of living is good... Boise is definitely like Seattle's much younger sister but I guess they predict it will be the size of Seattle in about 30 years.

But yeah, I definitely recommend that city for a young couple to get started in.
I live in Boise and most things, whatever things means, are open on Sundays.
Some stores are closed on Sunday as in most cities, but most places I see are still open and some do close early. I've heard that one of the busiest shopping days of the week at Boise Town Square is on Sunday's. Downtown is busy on a typical Sunday with the brunch's at several restaurants and most downtown retail is open on Sundays. This Summer there has been an event on almost every Sunday either in downtown or at the major parks along the river.

But, Boise is a great city to live in and enjoy nature on a Sunday, in the parks, the river, or the foothills.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:05 PM

100 posts, read 233,651 times
You should give the employment issue serious consideration before making a move. The previous posts are not exaggerating the lack of jobs. I am guessing that Boise might be a good fit for you, especially if you enjoy outdoor activities like floating the river, hiking in the foothills, biking, or skiing. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho