Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 05:33 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,440,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Hi, MSR…
Have you ever read the Daily Beast? The new East idaho News' page format looks extremely similar to the Daily Beast's. The Beast is now a part of a big media conglomerate; for a while, it was owned by Newsweek, but when Newsweek went back to printing instead of net-only, the Beast was sold.

Whether that means something or not is anyone's guess.

I believe that the "news as commentary" format is fading very quickly in popularity. A lot of this may be due to Rush Limbaugh's present difficulties with losing his national advertising base.
Rush's domination of talk radio, and the ability of his EID corporation to deliver nation ad money to local stations has really decreased, and the entire demographic who are faithful listeners to Rush and all the rest are very much older than the highest producing age demographics for national radio advertisers. And, like his listeners, Rush is getting old and very predictable.

Those two factors combined may be part of the reasons why KEIR is changing up to a format that may attract new listeners and hopefully, more of them. most of the talk radio in the big cities have gone to sports and lighter talk than a steady broadcast of heavy politics.

idaho may be slower to change its ways, but with the ever increasing number of vehicles being equipped with satellite reception, all on-air radio is struggling. The huge conglomerates like Clear Channel (now with a newer, friendlier corporate name; iHeart) have wiped out all the regional differences and preferences that once made radio both entertaining and engaging. The sameness of it all, from one end of the nation to the other, now are causing a lot of listeners to give up listening to the radio, period. It's easier for anyone to find the music and news they want on cell phones and other net devices. That's as true in Idaho as it is anywhere else.

There are radical formats that have never been tried on radio that might prove to be extremely successful; audio book editions now sell as well as printed books, for example.

On long trips, I really like to listen to a book. If I owned an iPod, listening to a book while doing chores would be a nice alternative to my radio, and I wouldn't mind listening to a book on a radio station with advertising, if the ads came on at a natural break point in a story. The TED lectures also draw big numbers of listeners on the net stations, and I can't see why they couldn't be broadcast on-air as well.

Back in the day, I remember KID AM broadcasting national talk shows that were the sonic equivalents of the Tonight show, using a host who chatted with interesting guests, interrupted by musical numbers and short news updates. This ancient format could be revived commercially- it's already here on the local NPR stations, which are all FM.

AM reception, with it's ability to be heard in canyons and mountains, could well profit from any of these different formats, and AM will always be viable in the intermountain west and other similar places if the formats are attractive. AM is struggling harder than FM now, and AM radio is in some pretty dark places right now, with a lot of nothing but fringe politics being broadcast, especially at night.

Hi Mike,

I'm not 100% positive, but I think Rush Limbaugh, not RUSH is a bad on their R 40 tour, is still on KID AM. KEIR does have some local hosts and they have Dave Ramsey for three hours daily.

I'm actually fairly knowledgeable about who owns what in radio and the huge corporate stations. Yes, iHeart is one and their purchase of the Radio Disney in SLC and another Disney station in a Midwestern city were announced today. Cummulus is another. Many of the bigs will have a radio show and multiple markets play it. So someone listening to an I Heart station in city X would hear the identical programming on an iHeart network in city Y. Absolutely horrible for those who invested their time and talent in radio only to be laid off through no fault of their own. (Dang I dislike autocorrect. I've had to correct so many words today after I posted).

Locally, we are much more lucky than many larger markets. Air talent have accepted jobs here that listeners use to find only in the top 20-40 markets. Local ownership is a stability many working at the big stations haven't had. I personally wish some of the talent we've had who have relocated, would start internet shows and/or podcasts. I even have a couple of ideas how this could be profitable for them.

Check out the bio of the KLCE host that was hired to replace Amy Taylor. If I understood her bio correctly, this host hasn't been in a studio broadcasting for a while. But she kept her skills current and listeners happy by broadcasting on the internet.

I think we have a new era of radio. We don't get news OTA like we use to, in less than a top 40 market. But the new approach with digital media does potentially give us more in depth news. If I worked in radio I would opt to see what can be positive about the changes. I agree with you, a lot could be done in podcasts. There is online streaming, but again it is targeting millions of people worldwide. Just getting locals to use Facebook and App downloads can be a huge challenge. And some big mistakes have been made with the responsible management and stations never apologizing to those involved. That lack of accountability and apologies is seen by many. Some wonder why few want to post online or Facebook. Good people always get to the truth, IMO, and take responsibility for their errors. But enough about that.....

Yes, I think AM is a forgotten opportunity begging to be heard. Not all of us like political shows and want music or comedy or a mixed format with interesting non-political people interviewed or as guests. AM does reach places FM doesn't. I'd like to see more live and local radio broadcast non-political AM. I think that is part of why Art Bell was so popular. As you suggest above, having some interesting guests for more than three minutes would be nice. Art Bell is going to start broadcasting again, either in June or July. He will be an Internet broadcast, I believe. I can't remember if he will be subscription only or open to all. I've driven home many nights more exhausted than was good for me, but somehow listening to Art Bell and MOST of his guests gave extra interest and stamina to drive home, in those days.

Radio and TV have both undergone many changes since the deregulation. There are other good AM programs we don't get. So much changed with the deregulation rules.

Mike you may want to talk to one of the Radio station clusters about NPR. Does ISU have a radio station? They might run NPR faster than some. I wish we got the NNN, the Northwest Network News on our cable and satellite TV channels. NNN could be used in radio too. Maybe I'll suggest that for KEIR. For now, it is good to have this additional content on EIN.

As I wrote earlier, I think the more accessible news from various sources, benefits residents. Yahoo isn't always accurate and there are posters even in the Idaho forum, NID to be more specific, that defer to Yahoo for everything.

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 05-29-2015 at 05:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 06:18 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Yup. ISU is broadcasting on 91.3 FM They were having translator trouble for quite a while, but it's fixed now. I listen to it almost exclusively during the day now, as they have an all-talk format until afternoon, and then it's music until the NPR All Things Considered news. Evening is a mixed bag of local (some student) music shows, NPR music shows etc. Weekend nights are all jazz late night.

I like a lot of the NPR syndicated talk shows- Fresh Air, Ira Glass' stories, and the like. Most have extended interviews with a wide range of folks, some famous, some not, that include authors, artists, doctors, scientists, and others who don't get much air time elsewhere. More importantly for me, the variety is good, and tends to keep me interested.

I also like student musical shows quite a lot- the kids always play stuff that often isn't heard on commercial radio. The NPR syndicated music shows tend to specialize in less-heard music as well.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:48 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,249,635 times
News is so political anymore a person has to listen to nothing or a mixture. I listen to ABC in the AM for news, but when it turns more to the giggling and laughing and the ET type news, the channel is switched to Fox. An hour on Fox to hear news that was not on ABC, then the day begins. (By that time I have a pot of coffee inside me.)

While watching these stations in the AM, I read Channel 8, 6, Fox News, Salt Lake Tribune and then the Detroit News. On Thursdays I read the two Moab Papers. Afternoon, I sometimes watch Fox Business.

In the vehicle it is XM all the time; from the 60s to hard rock (no CW for me; even though I know a few CW singers from my days in middle TN). On long trips, I flip from music to CNN/FOX/POTUS for some news. (It's due to XM I listened to the entire George Zimmerman trial while driving through the mountains. ) When I traded in my 2013, I can honestly say I had no idea of AM/FM worked or not; never tried it. So far, on my 2015, I have not tried AM or FM and probably won't, so long as I can afford XM.

Yes, too many people on this forum get their news from Yahoo, AOL, and the Huffington Post (that's right AOL owns Huffington Post...forgot. But wait....Verizon is purchasing AOL).

In 2017, Norway will switch off the FM band; it will be the first country to do so, but I expect many will follow.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
News is so political anymore a person has to listen to nothing or a mixture. I listen to ABC in the AM for news, but when it turns more to the giggling and laughing and the ET type news, the channel is switched to Fox. An hour on Fox to hear news that was not on ABC, then the day begins. (By that time I have a pot of coffee inside me.)

While watching these stations in the AM, I read Channel 8, 6, Fox News, Salt Lake Tribune and then the Detroit News. On Thursdays I read the two Moab Papers. Afternoon, I sometimes watch Fox Business.

In the vehicle it is XM all the time; from the 60s to hard rock (no CW for me; even though I know a few CW singers from my days in middle TN). On long trips, I flip from music to CNN/FOX/POTUS for some news. (It's due to XM I listened to the entire George Zimmerman trial while driving through the mountains. ) When I traded in my 2013, I can honestly say I had no idea of AM/FM worked or not; never tried it. So far, on my 2015, I have not tried AM or FM and probably won't, so long as I can afford XM.

Yes, too many people on this forum get their news from Yahoo, AOL, and the Huffington Post (that's right AOL owns Huffington Post...forgot. But wait....Verizon is purchasing AOL).

In 2017, Norway will switch off the FM band; it will be the first country to do so, but I expect many will follow.
I'd heard that about Norway, f5. For some reason I didn't learn a lot more about it. I don't want to lose FM. I simply think more could be done with AM, especially in areas where FM cuts in and out.

I view XM similar to someone playing their own CDs. Nothing wrong with it if it meets your needs. We'll see how the ratings are this year. Bizarre in my mind that Rexburg is a separate market from Idaho Falls. Both are separate from Poky. Blackfoot is probably separate too. All the above, along with Jackson Hole, WY and Salmon are all in the same tv market.

I'm glad you've seen that too, f5, of people relying on one home page for their news. I'm like you, I like to get it from a variety of sources. That goes back to my two original points: 1. East Idaho News has greatly expanded their staff and affiliations with more news sources, 2. Those who subscribe to the PR can now get a free subscription to the Washington Post. I think more info is helpful. What is the other Detroit paper besides The Detroit Free Press? I read the DVD this week.

I think it is best I not comment more on local radio today.

Old 05-31-2015, 01:25 AM

Quote:

So f5, I kept thinking about your post. Whew, I'm relieved you're not a CW person! Lady A doing some of their stuff, but especially in Crossroads with Stevie Nicks are as Country as I can be. I think it's just one page back I posted one of Lady A w Stevie N. here. Dare I ask who you like that "Keeps on Rocking in the Free World?" If you read my beginning of my post to Mike, did you understand what I meant by Rush is a band on their R 40 tour? What stations did you listen to in Moab?

I can't say I'm not a news junkie, cuz I am. There have been times in my life I listened to a lot of political news. People seem so much angrier now, I find reading what I want to read easier than hearing it. That's just a personal preference probably left over from some work I use to do. There really has been a mixture of hard and soft news, along with "entertainment" on the morning shows. I rarely watch them as it seems they change their focus often during the time they are on. No wonder K LG and Hooda have wine, or whatever is in their cups that early But that is probably what they have to do to compete with the internet.

It is an experience to hear a high profile trial. I heard most of Jodi Arias' original trial. Currently, I opt for more positive things in my day. It's what I need so I have to be creative with what I listen to. You said you sometimes watch Fox Business. I love Cavuto, I haven't always until I learned his story. And the female anchors who use to work with him at C NBC or wherever he was previously, are impressive in their business and stock market knowledge. However, I think they are equally or more impressive as people. These are the women who gave their vacation days to Cavuto when he was getting Chemo and/or Radiation for his cancer. They admired how hard he worked with MS, then cancer and MS together.

I want to watch Kennedy on FBN and always forget to record her. Have you ever seen her show? I am a fan of Red Eye. It's different without Gutfelt ' s bright mind, but I love their guests. Kerry Keegan, has been there and a lot of the Rolling Stones editors have been too, including Nick Gillespie. Anthony Cumia (sp? + I'm still getting words changed after I post them.) was on again in last night's episode. He is the Anthony from Anthony and Opie show. Jim Norton use to be on a lot, but not so much now that he does mornings with Opie. It's funny to watch two comedians on the same panel. Most are appropriate, but a couple go a little too far commenting about the other comedian's work. The comedians and magazine editors and some from bands are interesting to watch, for me. The comedians on Red Eye all write too, many for Comedy Central. I like former Ambassador Josh Bolton. Who knew he could be so funny? My favorite, of course, is Mike Baker. I was a fan years before he moved to Idaho.

People still use AOL? J/K. I wonder what Verizon sees as the benefit of buying AOL? Will they be able to program smartphones etc. so Google isn't involved? I have to admit I'm puzzled by a cell phone company wanting to buy a point of access website. If you know more, please share. Buying the company that makes Crackberries, or any other cell phone manufacturer makes sense to me. I clearly don't understand the draw of AOL for Verizon.

What is the quick summary on Norway? I'm part Norwegian, so be nice Thanks

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 05-31-2015 at 01:47 AM..

Old 05-31-2015, 07:17 AM

I like Cavuto too. As for Red Eye, i no longer watch it. Gutfelt was the show and when he left so did the show, in my opinion.

I don't like Kennedy; not that I don't like her beliefs, I consider myself a Conservatarian (like some conservative values, like some libertarian values...maybe just confused).

AOL was a lot more than just an email address or a new agency. They made money. I believe in 2014 they made almost a billion fron display and search ads on owned properties and close to 900 million in selling third party ads. And they are growing fast in that field. Besides they also own Huffington Post, Endgadget, Mapquest (I believe), Tech Crunch and quite a few other noted businesses.

And here is a tidbit I noted a week or two ago when searching the purchase of AOL...AOL makes over 500 million bucks a year FROM DIAL UP SUBSCRIBERS. I did not realize how many people were actually still on DIAL UP service. It's a shrinking market, but heck, I thought it has shrunk to almost nothing many years ago.

Here's an article from Engadget (and AOL company) about Norway....

Many purchases of large companies are not what they appear. When Google purchased Motorola Mobility (Motorola had spun off the cell phone market to Motorola Mobility but kept the rest of their production in radios and other communications), it was not to get the phones it was to get their over 29,000 patents on cell phones and the technology. In fact, Google sold Motorola Mobility about a year later to Lenova, but without the patents.

Old 05-31-2015, 04:57 PM

Quote:
I like Cavuto too. As for Red Eye, i no longer watch it. Gutfelt was the show and when he left so did the show, in my opinion.

I don't like Kennedy; not that I don't like her beliefs, I consider myself a Conservatarian (like some conservative values, like some libertarian values...maybe just confused).

AOL was a lot more than just an email address or a new agency. They made money. I believe in 2014 they made almost a billion fron display and search ads on owned properties and close to 900 million in selling third party ads. And they are growing fast in that field. Besides they also own Huffington Post, Endgadget, Mapquest (I believe), Tech Crunch and quite a few other noted businesses.

And here is a tidbit I noted a week or two ago when searching the purchase of AOL...AOL makes over 500 million bucks a year FROM DIAL UP SUBSCRIBERS. I did not realize how many people were actually still on DIAL UP service. It's a shrinking market, but heck, I thought it has shrunk to almost nothing many years ago.

Here's an article from Engadget (and AOL company) about Norway....

Many purchases of large companies are not what they appear. When Google purchased Motorola Mobility (Motorola had spun off the cell phone market to Motorola Mobility but kept the rest of their production in radios and other communications), it was not to get the phones it was to get their over 29,000 patents on cell phones and the technology. In fact, Google sold Motorola Mobility about a year later to Lenova, but without the patents.
f5,

Wow, I really had no idea everything AOL owned besides the HuffPo. Fascinating about Dial-up subscribers. I wonder in what countries they have so much dial up business, or is that a US total? Some rural US areas don't offer faster internet. Wherever these locations are, Verizon has products that don't require line of site access for fast internet. Maybe that is part of the interest in AOL. Maybe they want to offer their in home 3-lite products and/or Verizon cell service on Smartphones. We have some areas on eastern ID that can't get the clear line of site for fast internet, due to the tree growth. Nor are other options like cable or Internet via a land line options for various reasons. The number is more than I thought. Who told me? A manager at MyBullfrog told me, and I personally know his in-laws so he isn't going to lie to me. Besides, what brand does MyBullfrog carry? You guessed it: Verizon.

Speaking of the HuffPo and two former bloggers of Arianna, Red Eye is different w/o Gutfelt. I think it is interesting how he and Andy Levy met via the HuffPo while Greg was still in the UK. I watch Red Eye now based on who the guests are. But there clearly is a difference between some very bright or funny comments to the seamless way Gutfelt had of weaving it all together. Besides, I think story selection if I can call it that, is different now.

Did you know Greg's debut show is tonight at 8:00 p.m. MST? I'll record it to watch later. It will be interesting to see how much of his Red Eye humor/views are the same or if they get watered down. I'm not surprised you don't like Kennedy ' s show. The few times I've seen her on Red Eye I didn't watch the entire show. But I thought her own show might be different. I always feel like she is rushing through things. And maybe with her L.A. based radio show and NYC "Kennedy" she feels rushed for Red Eye. She travels for four days in NYC and three in L.A. weekly. She can broadcast her radio show from NYC, which she does, but it has to be difficult for her to leave her hubby and especially two little kids every week. Maybe rushed isn't the right word, but her style is very different on Red Eye. Now I'll have to see her on FBN to see if I can better identify what it is I don't like about her style.

Hopefully we'll see the entire Gutfelt humor and more return on his new show. I just remembered about three things he use to do, which were funny. No way those segments will be done in an evening, weekend tv show. But I still hope he can bring his humor, and sarcasm, to the weekends.

Not going to tell me which music you like, huh? Or it's been satellite radio that long? That's okay, you don't have to tell me. KSRP is a good example, IMO, of what I was telling Mike above. Having a host who has only worked in Top 5-7 markets on air in the 29th market is part of the shift I mentioned. We have more drastic examples locally.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:05 PM

Another interesting figure....
About 17 percent of dial-up users say there's no broadband where they live; 35 percent say the price needs to fall before they'd adopt it.

Dish internet I believe is limited to one satellite so if in a forest or just in the wrong place, and no line of site to the sat; no service. However, there are some other companies that use more than one geosyncronized sats to provide coverage. So this might help many people. If the east side is blocked, you MIGHT be able to lock onto a sat to the west....maybe. Maybe some day this will offer more alternatives for internet service.

I know when I lived in Moab, you had a few choices, Dish, Emery Telecom (who I had for internet, Directv who was teamed up with Hughes Sat (I believe...they team up with quite a few different companies for internet service depending on the area; but now that they will merge with AT&T; I'm sure they will offer more AT&T internet service) and a local company; River Canyon Wireless, worked off a few towers that sent wireless to a very small antenna on the roof. Very line of sight, but in Moab they had some repeaters to allow for great coverage.

As for music....

XM
My set stations are
60s on 6
70s on 7
80s on 8
90s on 9
The Blend
Classic Rewind
Classic Vinyl
Deep Tracks
Heavy Metal
Classic Jazz

Fox Business
Fox News
CNN
World News
Bloomberg
POTUS

And of course there is always the scan button

I don't like Kennedy because she appears, to me at least, to be too self-centered and absorbed with herself. And even though I consider myself a Conservatarian and yes, there is such an animal. We tend to be pro business but not for cronyism; except for national security (peace through strength; not confusion) I believe more power to the states; socially indifferent (but more toward the libertarian side for me...government needs to get out of marriage regardless of sexual orientation or number of wives or husbands a person wants, abortion is up to the person(s) involved, and religion needs to stay out of politics...PERIOD! (Now I'm sure to have peed off both sides.... ) Wow, I guess I strayed off subject a bit.

For business, I like to watch Maria Bartiromo, Liz Clayman, Dobbs and a few others.

Time to walk the dogs....

Old 05-31-2015, 10:49 PM

Quote:
About 17 percent of dial-up users say there's no broadband where they live; 35 percent say the price needs to fall before they'd adopt it.

Dish internet I believe is limited to one satellite so if in a forest or just in the wrong place, and no line of site to the sat; no service. However, there are some other companies that use more than one geosyncronized sats to provide coverage. So this might help many people. If the east side is blocked, you MIGHT be able to lock onto a sat to the west....maybe. Maybe some day this will offer more alternatives for internet service.

I know when I lived in Moab, you had a few choices, Dish, Emery Telecom (who I had for internet, Directv who was teamed up with Hughes Sat (I believe...they team up with quite a few different companies for internet service depending on the area; but now that they will merge with AT&T; I'm sure they will offer more AT&T internet service) and a local company; River Canyon Wireless, worked off a few towers that sent wireless to a very small antenna on the roof. Very line of sight, but in Moab they had some repeaters to allow for great coverage.

As for music....

XM
My set stations are
60s on 6
70s on 7
80s on 8
90s on 9
The Blend
Classic Rewind
Classic Vinyl
Deep Tracks
Heavy Metal
Classic Jazz

Fox Business
Fox News
CNN
World News
Bloomberg
POTUS

I don't like Kennedy because she appears, to me at least, to be too self-centered and absorbed with herself. And even though I consider myself a Conservatarian and yes, there is such an animal. We tend to be pro business but not for cronyism; except for national security (peace through strength; not confusion) I believe more power to the states; socially indifferent (but more toward the libertarian side for me...government needs to get out of marriage regardless of sexual orientation or number of wives or husbands a person wants, abortion is up to the person(s) involved, and religion needs to stay out of politics...PERIOD! (Now I'm sure to have peed off both sides.... ) Wow, I guess I strayed off subject a bit.

For business, I like to watch Maria Bartiromo, Liz Clayman, Dobbs and a few others.

Quote:

As for music....

XM
My set stations are
60s on 6
70s on 7
80s on 8
90s on 9
The Blend
Classic Rewind
Classic Vinyl
Deep Tracks
Heavy Metal
Classic Jazz

Fox Business
Fox News
CNN
World News
Bloomberg
POTUS

Nice pic I hope you all enjoyed your walk.

You may have nailed what it is about Kennedy. I'll have to see her again to know. Also, I was inadvertently wrong about one part of her life. Apparently, she ended her own radio show in 2014. She does some guest appearances on L.A. radio.

Did you see Greg? Oh, that one hour went by fast.

To my great surprise, Greg worked in two of the three things I thought he couldn't at that time on Sunday. They were very subtle. Probably only original Red Eye fans would know what some things represented. Others would just think a couple of things were weird. I'll have to send you a PM about what I mean.

For now, I was sad to have that hour go by so quickly, without knowing there would be a new show tomorrow. But that hour was a treat for me.

And how funny was that to have Lou Dobbs driving at the end? He was born and grew up in Idaho

OMGosh, you crack me up with the Emery Telecom remark. Who else here would even know about it? I use to call it chicken wire and that went over with the account owner about as well as a lead balloon. I told you I know Carbon and Emery Counties. Emery Telecom did what Hughes Net does everywhere and Cable One does in Idaho Falls: slows down with each additional user. But they did upgrade actually quite early. My ties to Emery County go way back, prior to Shawn Bradley. I know you've had good luck with Cable One. I wonder if they put more lines or something your direction so you don't get the slowing everyone gets in I.F.?

Old 06-01-2015, 01:04 PM

F5, you have mail
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls