Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 11:56 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,455,325 times

Advertisements

I wonder how soon KLCE will announce the host they hire for midddays?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 01:14 AM

Thumbs up Karol Honas - KIFI 25 yrs. Vid

Did anyone else see the cool vid former KIFI reporters made for Karol Honas to honor her for her 25th year at MIFI? It was on Monday, 01/26. It ranged from a Portland, Ore. Anchor to one near Porland, Maine. It was nice and I doubt many who are here haven't seen these people work in another market.

For some reason I can't pull that vid up tonight. If anyone can (the one with former reporters doing mostly broadcasting jobs now), get the vid, Please add here. It's a nice piece of history.

Thanks in advance

MSR

Old 01-29-2015, 06:14 AM

Thumbs up Video of Former KIFI Reporters Congratulating Karole Honas on 25 Years @ KIFI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Did anyone else see the cool vid former KIFI reporters made for Karol Honas to honor her for her 25th year at MIFI? It was on Monday, 01/26. It ranged from a Portland, Ore. Anchor to one near Porland, Maine. It was nice and I doubt many who are here haven't seen these people work in another market.

For some reason I can't pull that vid up tonight. If anyone can (the one with former reporters doing mostly broadcasting jobs now), get the vid, Please add here. It's a nice piece of history.

MSR
Here is the video. Take a a couple of minutes to see what current anchors and relorters spread throughout the U.S. have a message for Karole. There are less than 10 on this vid - it goes fast. It was nice for these people Karole trained to take time to send a message to her.

http://youtu.be/cRqT3JEBVQY

This still isn't the whole video. If you can find the complete one, please add. TY in advance for your help.

This is a different vid a look at Karole over the years:
MSR http://m.localnews8.com/news/a-look-...ews-8/30934298

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 01-29-2015 at 06:26 AM..

Old 02-03-2015, 08:20 PM

Question "Blizzard of Bullets" -- Discovery ID Channel.

Did you watch this tonight? Paul Menser was in the Discovery ID show.

I wasn't living here at the time these crimes were committed; however, I did know where the C Stores were. It took me years before I could go in them just knowing what had happened.

If you watched what did you think?

MSR

Old 03-23-2015, 12:07 AM

Default Radio Ratings Peroid

The radio ratings period is here. I remember being so surprised last year with so many commercials around the local news. This year I understand what is occurring much better. It seems like Riverbend Communications has been preparing for this rating period in many ways. They played their TV commercials around the Emmys and they've hired new Air Staff for Z103 and KLCE, since 1/01/2015 and new air talent in the fall for the "New Country" station. That would probably be The Hawk, but I'm not certain since I don't listen to country.

Additionally, I saw a page today I can't find again. Does anyone know if KLCE is giving away iPods, I Pads and iPhones? The page I saw had that info and more. Nice giveaways! If you know more, please post.

Sandhill Media - I remember last year KUPI gave away a new camp trailer. I think that was with OK Trailers in Shelley. Since OK Trailers was sold to Camping World, IDK what KUPI is doing. The Arrow is giving money away to the right caller. FM 100, MyFM, is probably giving away money like last year, I'm not certain.

Rich Broadcasting seems to have settled on a Program Director for the Hot AC, the Star. They must have played musical chairs with the PDS for Star four or five times since May, 2014. Either they are sticking with a person or they have an AM drive/PD job still open....... Rich has made some changes I like, including paid internships and hiring employees for events. No, the DAS and mgt. can't do it all. I think their stations give money to callers.

Please post if you know what KLCE is giving away. I'm 99.9% certain I didn't dream about the page with iPods, I Pads and iPhones.

Good luck everyone.....it would be great if someone here won a prize

Old 03-23-2015, 12:21 AM

Default New Radio Call Letters for a Riverbend Station- KEIR

Riverbend Communications has new call letters for their AM and now an FM station. They are KEIR at 101.1 FM and the AM is
1260. It's the FM that is now on-air with new call letters. You can see KEIR - FM info at East Idaho News | Live, Local and more than just politics | Idaho News | Idaho Falls News | Pocatello News. I think this is a discussion station. IDK, since the FM change has recently happened. Maybe they will broadcast some sports - -actually, they do. Mark Harris of Idaho Sports has a weekly show. Maybe they will broadcast more sports

If you know more about 101.1 FM ' S programming, please post.

Old 03-25-2015, 09:22 PM

Default KIFI Anchors - What's Up?

I'm wondering what is happening that both Karol Honas and Jay Hildebrand have had three nights in a row "off "? It seems too odd to actually be true. If they are at a conference or something similar, usually someone says something about one of them will have more about X story on Y evening.

They aren't on the air, but I have a hunch they aren't both using their Vacation Days in March. Todd Kung has been on KIDK and FOX 5. Something just seems off, to me, since they are both gone. No one has said when they will be back or anything but they have the evening off.

Please share any thoughts/ideas you have. Thanks.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:03 AM

29,220 posts, read 22,410,518 times
Meh.
It's spring break. While this has been a mild winter, if I had some vacation time, this is when I would be using it. Karol and Jay aren't going anywhere for a while, and this is a good time to give a lot of newbies some air time.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:00 PM

Two items I think are note-worthy, and potentially connected.

First, have you visited the digital media site at East Idaho News lately? Wow, it's almost got enough daily content to equal local television stations. It seems like this page has separated itself from the KLCE website where I first saw it. Radio station KEIR at 101.1 FM and the AM stations simulcast, I think. I haven't listened. What matters is those are different call letters and a different spot on the FM dial.

One or two reporters who use to work at the Post Register now work on this digital page full-time. Given that Riverbend advertised for a new DJ for the KLCE midday show (see above post) their ad stated they pay as well as a top 50 ranked station. I don't know about all 50 top markets, so maybe it is more accurate to write they pay what markets 25 -100 pay. And I can't verify it, but someone would correct that statement if it was really off-base. I'm guessing the reporter who left the PR, for EIN probably makes more money doing this work.

Additionally, business and development content is used with Paul Menser's permission here. Furthermore, Riverbend Communications has a list of affiliates that contribute a lot of data. There is a lot of content daily, or at least weekdays, at this site. If you haven't looked lately, it is worth a look. East Idaho News

Second, while I can't post this as a fact, the timing is very interesting. My suspicion is the above changed and more comprehensive news site is enough for many people. Potentially it is just an odd coincidence, but given a change the PR made this week, I have to wonder if the paper is losing subscribers. There is at least one PR writer who may think she can do no wrong as she worked at the Oregonian. Let's just say I emailed her and an editor pointing out how ridiculous and impossible her errors were in a story. Some of the things she wrote aren't possible by humans. There was no thanks, rather a semi attack of me of who was I to question her? I'm someone who knows the truth about that subject.

Maybe one writer and potentially some hard line op-eds might have caused some readers to say no more. Or maybe this has been planned for three years and the deal finally got done so it could be announced this week; I have no idea. What I do know is starting this week, those who subscribe to either digital or print editions of the PR get a free membership to the Washington Post. That is a $100.00 subscription for no additional cost.

Personally, I'd rather have the Seattle P.I., but I have to admit with INL, potentiallybAreva, probably NuScale and more business that occurs daily, or may start in 2016 and beyond in the Idaho Falls Metro Area, a D.C. paper isn't the worst idea IMO. I tried to register for the W. Post yesterday and had technical difficulties, but I'll get it done.

My personal view is the more sources of local news there are, that is better for residents.

What do you think of these changes? Have you used them or plan to use them?

Old 05-29-2015, 03:49 PM

29,220 posts, read 22,410,518 times
Hi, MSR…
Have you ever read the Daily Beast? The new East idaho News' page format looks extremely similar to the Daily Beast's. The Beast is now a part of a big media conglomerate; for a while, it was owned by Newsweek, but when Newsweek went back to printing instead of net-only, the Beast was sold.

Whether that means something or not is anyone's guess.

I believe that the "news as commentary" format is fading very quickly in popularity. A lot of this may be due to Rush Limbaugh's present difficulties with losing his national advertising base.
Rush's domination of talk radio, and the ability of his EID corporation to deliver nation ad money to local stations has really decreased, and the entire demographic who are faithful listeners to Rush and all the rest are very much older than the highest producing age demographics for national radio advertisers. And, like his listeners, Rush is getting old and very predictable.

Those two factors combined may be part of the reasons why KEIR is changing up to a format that may attract new listeners and hopefully, more of them. most of the talk radio in the big cities have gone to sports and lighter talk than a steady broadcast of heavy politics.

idaho may be slower to change its ways, but with the ever increasing number of vehicles being equipped with satellite reception, all on-air radio is struggling. The huge conglomerates like Clear Channel (now with a newer, friendlier corporate name; iHeart) have wiped out all the regional differences and preferences that once made radio both entertaining and engaging. The sameness of it all, from one end of the nation to the other, now are causing a lot of listeners to give up listening to the radio, period. It's easier for anyone to find the music and news they want on cell phones and other net devices. That's as true in Idaho as it is anywhere else.

There are radical formats that have never been tried on radio that might prove to be extremely successful; audio book editions now sell as well as printed books, for example.

On long trips, I really like to listen to a book. If I owned an iPod, listening to a book while doing chores would be a nice alternative to my radio, and I wouldn't mind listening to a book on a radio station with advertising, if the ads came on at a natural break point in a story. The TED lectures also draw big numbers of listeners on the net stations, and I can't see why they couldn't be broadcast on-air as well.

Back in the day, I remember KID AM broadcasting national talk shows that were the sonic equivalents of the Tonight show, using a host who chatted with interesting guests, interrupted by musical numbers and short news updates. This ancient format could be revived commercially- it's already here on the local NPR stations, which are all FM.

AM reception, with it's ability to be heard in canyons and mountains, could well profit from any of these different formats, and AM will always be viable in the intermountain west and other similar places if the formats are attractive. AM is struggling harder than FM now, and AM radio is in some pretty dark places right now, with a lot of nothing but fringe politics being broadcast, especially at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls