Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 10:53 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,647,821 times

Advertisements

The new Hyundai designs may not be original, but who cares? This isn't art or music. I remember when Lexus came out. People said it was just a copy of Mercedes. But enough people said "for that price, who cares?" When I see the Sonata, I see elements of the VW CC and the Mercedes C-class. But if someone can give me the car I want only cheaper, that's good enough for me. I think the car companies who worry about being original end up shooting themselves in the foot. Look back at some of the designs from GM and Chrysler. Sure they looked unique. They also looked god-awful. I'll take a copy of a good-looking car over a Pontiac Aztec.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 12:32 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,711,708 times
Denny, the point most of us were getting at was that in it's current guise Hyundai is fine doing what it's doing, but they eventually need to get their own creativity flowing to define the brand. They got where they are at by copying designs, but that will always make them a "copy" not the real thing. As their pricing has also been steadily increasing as they improve content and reliability, it becomes more and more of an issue. Lexus' don't look like Mercedes cloans anymore and people also no longer consider them the "cheap" or "poor mans" Mercedes either.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:13 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,177,920 times
Good points raised in this thread.

I do begin to wonder, though, how many more "new designs" there are that people will like.

Now, it seems, either car makers are going retro or very extreme. Other than that, most designs are similar.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:14 PM

705 posts, read 1,662,516 times
A lot of new Hyundai are designed in California, they build a few lines in Alabama and Kia just opened another factory in the south. They are also one of the biggest selling car companies in America, this isnt the old company that brought you the Hyundai Excel.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:42 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,285,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
Who makes Lexis? Is that a new Mexican brand or something?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dim adams View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
you mean L-E-X-U-S?

Mike
I see the grammar and spelling police have made it to the automotive forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dim adams View Post
I am not a Hyundais fan, but following your thoughts all cars alike: 4 weals drive, 2(3,4,5) doors, engine, horn...
Although if you're going to pounce on someone else's misspellings, you should be sure you get yours right.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:13 PM

143 posts, read 762,884 times
A Japanese designer designed the Ferrari Enzo, 612 Scaglietti and Rossa, c5 corvette, and camaro.

A German designer penned the Kia Forte, Venga, 2011 Optima, 2011 Sportage.

A Korean designer penned the 2010 Camaro, 2010 Buick Lacrosse, etc.

Hyundai Mobis provides parts for Mercedes, BMW, etc. The car business is truly an international one.

Old 06-11-2010, 01:01 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,291,069 times
I wish they had good car designers again. All the new stuff with the exception of the Challenger, new Mustang, and Dodge trucks, everything else is disgusting in looks department! Whatever happened to people that could design a good looking vehicle? There doesn't seem to be any around now.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:49 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,647,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Denny, the point most of us were getting at was that in it's current guise Hyundai is fine doing what it's doing, but they eventually need to get their own creativity flowing to define the brand. They got where they are at by copying designs, but that will always make them a "copy" not the real thing. As their pricing has also been steadily increasing as they improve content and reliability, it becomes more and more of an issue. Lexus' don't look like Mercedes cloans anymore and people also no longer consider them the "cheap" or "poor mans" Mercedes either.
Yes, eventually. But I don't believe they've reached that point yet. Lexus no longer looks like Mercedes, although the latest LS sedan looks a lot like the BMW 7-series. But look at how long it took before Lexus dared to establish a look of its own instead of copying Mercedes' designs. They had to wait until they were firmly established as a major player in the luxury market before they could take bigger risks. Hyundai has yet to reach that point. Despite making some serious gains in the last few years, I don't think the average buyer puts Hyundai on par with Honda and Toyota. So the strategy that Hyundai is following right now is a sound one. I think once they reach the point where they're considered an equal to Honda and Toyota, then they can take greater risks with their designs and come up with a more distinctive look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia