Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 10:25 AM

1,742 posts, read 6,144,349 times

Advertisements

Either way it is still just a Japanese car. So who gets the special medal in this one? Don't they all get one for effort or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 10:35 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,182,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Continental View Post
Either way it is still just a Japanese car. So who gets the special medal in this one? Don't they all get one for effort or something?
Hyundai is Korean, if I'm not mistaken.

Mike

Old 06-09-2010, 10:45 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,714,778 times
Hyundai hired European and American designers because it wants cars that appeal to Europeans and Americans - that is one big reason current Hyundais look so good - many were designed in California in fact. If you think the cars look derivative, its probably because they're being designed by the same people. Much like current Jags look like Astons after jag hired Aston's design chief, for example.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:55 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,726,673 times
The cars look derivative, because they are. The designs were a direct attempt to mimic the market/style leaders in their segment. I don't necessarily have a problem with this, but unlike every other full line manufacturer Hyundai has almost no corporate styling identity outside of the "H".

Hyundai's goal is to provide the same level of styling, technology and performance of much more expensive vehicles at a bargain price. This makes sense for them, but I think eventually they will need to at least find their own identity in the styling department, as mimickery will only take them so far. Right now you can say that your Gensis Coupe looks like, has the same options as and performs almost as well an Infiniti G37 for 2/3rds the price, but it's still not an Infiniti G37 and the Infiniti will always be considered the "better" vehicle if only on brand reputation.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:59 AM

1,000 posts, read 2,354,192 times
This is being revealed in Sept at the Paris Auto Show: Veloster sheds disguise | Auto Express News | News | Auto Express

Old 06-09-2010, 12:19 PM

164 posts, read 502,769 times
Except Huyandaais are not cheap anymore. they are getting to be as pricey as the makers that they try to imitate. Why would anyone buy Huyadaais?

Old 06-09-2010, 12:28 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,726,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northlakemetro View Post
Except Huyandaais are not cheap anymore. they are getting to be as pricey as the makers that they try to imitate. Why would anyone buy Huyadaais?
They are still cheaper if only by a few thousand dollars in most cases. They offer a very good warranty and their quality has improved substantially. Basically even with the price getting more equal, they can still claim the crown of we do it just as good for less and just to back it up we'll give you a real good warranty to boot. I can see the attraction where that few thousand dollars can be worth $50-$80+ per month in a car payment depending on interest. That of course ignores deprecitation costs, but most buyers seem to ignore that anyway and that is also an area Hyundai has improved.

However, you did tie into my point I made previously. As their pricing climbs ever higher and begins to rival the cars that they are emulating they need to begin to build their own identity through styling. Hyundai can't be succesful forever as simply the clone car that costs less, they need to define themselves to be succesful long term.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:16 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,714,778 times
I think people are buying Hyundais because they are better than the competition and cost less to boot. When you look at pricing vs content, Hyundai is offering much more for the dollar than other cars are. Hyundai's sales were up 40% last year, which a huge jump for a smaller company here in the USA. Hyundai's depreciation retention rates are way up too - there was a link here just a couple days ago talking about Ford, but right under Ford was Hyundai.

The cars are appealing, the value is rising, and they are winning comparison tests - the company is doing something right.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:18 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,181,712 times
I love the Genesis Coupes.. and I rarely see them around, I see way more g37's around.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:11 AM

7,004 posts, read 21,349,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northlakemetro View Post
If you never heard of Lexis, then you should leave this forum NOW.

I guess I see you out there! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia