Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 01:31 AM

404 posts, read 1,555,956 times

Advertisements

Korean automaker Hyundai officially unveiled its new Elantra sedan late last month at the Busan Auto Show. The car is also known as the Avante in markets outside of North America

The last generation Elantra gave its competition in the compact segment a run for its money, and finsihed on top of the heap in some comparisons by very reputable sources, including Consumer Report for 3 years running in the mainstream compact economy car segment.

The new model promises equipment upgrades, powertrain advancements, and improvement in NVH levels, as well as increased structural rigidity. And while the Mazda3 has been redesigned, a new Civic will soon be upon us, as well as a new Focus and "Cobalt" (Cruze), this cars main competition in the marketplace used to be the Toyota Corolla. However with the Corolla not scheduled for a complete redesign until the 2014 model year, it would seem to finally fall clearly behind the new Elantra in a head to head comparo. On paper, at least. Not to mention the other new compacts about to hit the market.

I have a '08 Elantra ans like it a lot, as those who have read some of my posts already know. This new one just makes me think "well, maybe i'll get another used one in the future." I like what i see...how about you?

Go Go Hyundai!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 01:39 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
I like it OK, but they really should get some fresh ideas over at the Hyundai design studio. Just as the new Sonata looks like a hybrid between a Solara and an ES, this thing looks to be 75% aped from the Civic. If you're gonna liberally borrow style cues, borrow them from cars that are younger than 7 or 8 model years old.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:43 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
Yeah but the civic doesn't pull it off nearly as well as the Elantra does. The Elantra makes that shape down right sexy.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:44 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
The current generation Elantra's body is original,...there's no other compact sedan with a similiar body shape. The above photos show an evolution of that same body shape. This can be more clearly seen in the side profile. The nose does resemble a Honda, but not a Civic. Looks more like the Honda Insight in the nose than a Honda Civic.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
The current generation Elantra's body is original,...there's no other compact sedan with a similiar body shape. The above photos show an evolution of that same body shape. This can be more clearly seen in the side profile. The nose does resemble a Honda, but not a Civic. Looks more like the Honda Insight in the nose than a Honda Civic.
agreed about the evolution of the body shape. i was just about to post the same comment, basically. along with a pic

of all of Hyundai's current redesigns, this is the only one where you can really say "i see the last gen car in it"

the last car (my car) the main complaint about the exterior styling was its "plain," "nondescript," and has a "dowdy" front end. it seems Hyundai went to work to sleek the car out, but keep the same basic design. here is the last gen car

you can see the family resemblance with the new car

Old 05-12-2010, 08:52 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,979,128 times
I wonder how it is with rear headroom ...

More importantly, how will the wagon (Touring) look?

Old 05-12-2010, 10:45 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,968,123 times
Those tailights go WAY too far towards the quarter panel. Can it be any closer to the gas cap? IMo, Hyundai for whatever reason looks like they are knocking off Toyota / Lexus. The front of his vehicle reminds me alot of a Prius. The Tucson looks like the Lexus SUV.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
I wonder how it is with rear headroom ...
looks like it keeps the same sort of high rear end that affords the current gen sedan generous headroom. you can see how the car slopes up back there. it also affords the rear bench to sit high and straight, increasing rear seat room and comfort. i am 6'2 and don't have to adjust my driving position for a person who is the same height and then some to sit behind me. thats real nice in a small car. i hope this new one uses space just as smartly

these videos give a better look. i think its the best looking of Hyundai's three new sedans (Sonata, Accent, Elantra)

YouTube - 2011 Hyundai Elantra Lunching - Busan Motor Show 3

YouTube - 2011 Hyundai Elantra Lunching - Busan Motor Show 1

Old 05-13-2010, 06:05 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,569,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ploopy View Post
Korean automaker Hyundai officially unveiled its new Elantra sedan late last month at the Busan Auto Show. The car is also known as the Avante in markets outside of North America

The last generation Elantra gave its competition in the compact segment a run for its money, and finsihed on top of the heap in some comparisons by very reputable sources, including Consumer Report for 3 years running in the mainstream compact economy car segment.

The new model promises equipment upgrades, powertrain advancements, and improvement in NVH levels, as well as increased structural rigidity. And while the Mazda3 has been redesigned, a new Civic will soon be upon us, as well as a new Focus and "Cobalt" (Cruze), this cars main competition in the marketplace used to be the Toyota Corolla. However with the Corolla not scheduled for a complete redesign until the 2014 model year, it would seem to finally fall clearly behind the new Elantra in a head to head comparo. On paper, at least. Not to mention the other new compacts about to hit the market.

I have a '08 Elantra ans like it a lot, as those who have read some of my posts already know. This new one just makes me think "well, maybe i'll get another used one in the future." I like what i see...how about you?

Go Go Hyundai!

Not bad at all. Hyundai is improving its design and build quality all the time. They'll definitely gain market share they way things have been going for them lately compared to 2001

Old 05-13-2010, 11:19 AM

1,639 posts, read 5,098,128 times
Good looking car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia