Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 02:51 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,775,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
2003. It was a used 2001 Elantra with 14,000 miles on it, in like-new condition, bought from a local Hyundai dealer. Traded it last year for a 2007 Toyota Corolla.
was it a rental before? they are popular rental cars. rentals are treated like crap by consumers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 03:39 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,944,411 times
I truly treated rental cars like I treat..... eh forget it. Can't say it here!

Old 06-03-2008, 07:39 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,682,811 times
My brother loves his Hyundai....container ship.

He has been a merchant ship captain for many years and says that the Hyundai Shipyards build a fine vessel.

He was in a typhoon in the South China Sea recently and shot some amazing video from the bridge....makes the "Deadliest Catch" look tame!

Oh, here's the motor in it:
The Most Powerful Diesel Engine in the World (http://people.bath.ac.uk/ccsshb/12cyl/ - broken link)
Talk about mpg....these bad boys burn 1660 gallons AN HOUR!

Last edited by car54; 06-03-2008 at 08:03 PM..

Old 06-03-2008, 07:50 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,258,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewu9900 View Post
li believe hyundia is doing better things, but they make the kia, and they only stated making kia's to take the spotlight off hyundia's name and say look, kia's suck more... well great job, now fix those kia's and you may get a better reputation.
Uh no, Hyundai didn't just up and start making Kias one day just so there would be something crappier than Hyundai on the market. What a weird thing to say.

Kia used to be a separate company until Hyundai bought them, and by having done so, they have improved the Kia brand, tremendously. That said, one reason they purchased Kia is to have an "economy" brand positioned below Hyndai, sort of like Volkswagen is an economy brand positioned below Audi. Cars have been marketed this way for nearly a century.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:09 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,679,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Uh no, Hyundai didn't just up and start making Kias one day just so there would be something crappier than Hyundai on the market. What a weird thing to say.

Kia used to be a separate company until Hyundai bought them, and by having done so, they have improved the Kia brand, tremendously. That said, one reason they purchased Kia is to have an "economy" brand positioned below Hyndai, sort of like Volkswagen is an economy brand positioned below Audi. Cars have been marketed this way for nearly a century.

I can verify that. I rented one of the first Kias brought into the country in 91 or 92 in California. I think it was National that gave me a discount for trying a new car and filling out a survey. What a piece of junk. With 4 adults in the car I could not maintain 55MPH in the hills, on the interstate, around LA. For fun, and because it was a rental (see post about treatment of rental cars) I was doing neutral drops in the hotel parking lot. On wet blacktop it would not spin the tires when dropped into gear @ 5000 rpm. I haven't driven another one but if they are still that bad I can't see anyone buying one.

Two people you should not rent a car to, young kids and old race car drivers.

Old 06-04-2008, 05:34 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,973,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by studedude View Post
One thing to realize, whatever the condition of your Toyota or Honda in 7 years, the Hyundai will still have a warranty.

My Honda is now exactly 7 years old. The warranty was never needed. It now has 111,000 trouble-free miles on it. Honda and Toyota don't need a gimmick warranty. If I crap in a box and put a warranty on it, its still a piece of crap in a box.

Old 06-04-2008, 05:39 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,973,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
was it a rental before? they are popular rental cars. rentals are treated like crap by consumers.
No, someone owned it....the prior owner had entered all of their maintenance into the owner's manual. Makes me wonder why they got rid of it after 14,000 miles....may have been something wrong with it. Plus, my local Hyundai dealer is not known to be the most honest dealership (this group also owns Chevy, Ford, and Dodge dealerships in the area....very shady).

We had an on-and-off hesitation problem from about 20,000 miles on....multiple trips to this dealer, and they always said they could find nothing wrong, or would suggest expensive service that I didn't need. After a while, the problem got worse and ended up being the transmission....if I was going to keep the car, it was going to need a new trans, so I just got rid of it. Hyundai does not transfer that warranty to a second owner, so you only get the balance of 5 yr/60,000 miles. Even though it was documented that I had been back and forth from the dealer with this problem for a couple of years, when the trans finally crapped out, it was just past the warranty, and they refused to honor it. I even brought it to the attention of Hyundai corporate, and they didn't even bother to respond.

Never again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia