Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2023, 04:34 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,736,000 times

Advertisements

This is from Auto Guide, available to anyone with Internet access.

"Well, Hyundai and Kia have announced a solution that goes beyond the handful of aftermarket steering lock devices they’re given out. The brand is sending out free software updates for certain models. The update will cover 8.3 million vehicles between the two brands. The new software modifies how the vehicle interacts with its onboard modules. When the vehicle is locked with the fob, a new ignition kill mode is activated so the car can’t be started without putting the key in the ignition.

However, the update can’t fix all of the vehicles. “Some 2011-2022 model year vehicles without engine immobilizers cannot accommodate the software upgrade,” said Hyundai, via press release. For those customers, Hyundai says it will start a reimbursement program for aftermarket steering locks.

More details on Hyundai’s anti-theft rollout will soon follow. Currently, updates for some Elantras, Sonatas, and Venues are available now, with the rest of the affected models coming by June 2023. Hyundai has launched a new website to see if a vehicle is part of the recall."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2023, 04:43 PM

6,734 posts, read 4,413,618 times
I wouldnt buy new ones. Thats just me. Buy what makes you happy, life is short.

Old 02-21-2023, 01:22 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,736,000 times
How can I tell if my Hyundai vehicle has an engine immobilizer?
If your Hyundai vehicle has a push-button start or was produced after November 2021, it has an engine immobilizer. If your vehicle has a standard “turn-key-to-start” ignition system, please input your VIN here to determine if it is eligible for the software upgrade."

The above is from the Hyundai Corporate website.

If you are still concerned, our local animal shelters here offer free pit bulls to anyone with a pulse. Just in case, you know.

Old 02-21-2023, 01:37 PM

16,541 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Not everybody steals cars for parts or for money.

Kids steal cars to joy-ride. Robbers steal cars for getaway cars that are not tied to them in any way.
Glad someone said it. Car thieves are absolutely NOT pulling up with flatbeds to steal cars. That's the stuff that happens in movies...

Old 02-24-2023, 09:25 AM

9,110 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Given the OP's name, I wonder if any automobile manufacturer would be acceptable.

I've owned Kia's for many, many years and have never had a problem either insuring them or driving them.

Old 02-25-2023, 10:22 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Given the OP's name, I wonder if any automobile manufacturer would be acceptable.

I've owned Kia's for many, many years and have never had a problem either insuring them or driving them.
I own a 2015 Hyundai Elantra and wife owns a 2019 Hyundai Kona. Her vehicle has the immobilizer, mine does not. I’ve been safe so far because I always lock my car doors and the parking tower at work has security cameras as well as roving security. The issue is some insurance companies in some states will not issue a new policy on the Hyundai & Kia vehicles that don’t have the immobilizer. Though mine doesn’t, I’ve been insured since I purchased the vehicle new in 2015. Haven’t reached 60,000 miles yet. Wife’s Kona is less than 20,000 miles.

Old 05-31-2023, 10:30 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,191,203 times
Here is where you can check your Hyundai model's VIN to see if it's eligible for this software upgrade: https://owners.hyundaiusa.com/us/en/...e-upgrade.html

I just scheduled this upgrade for my 2013 Sonata for three months out. Guess they're being swamped right now with all their affected models. The dealership said that Hyundai is sending out notices in batches, so though you may not be eligible right now, you could be soon (check your VIN).

Since this whole debacle began on social media, I have not had any issue with getting (and retaining) comprehensive coverage at very reasonable rates.

And for all the comments dissing Hyundai... I have to admit of all the (non-Hyundai) cars I've owned in my life, this Sonata has been the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. No major repairs in 10 years w/brutal commutes. Just routine maintenance. Pretty impressive. Sometimes I have wished it would crap out already so I'd have a valid excuse to get a new car, but the beast just keeps going. Good problem to have, I guess.

Old 05-31-2023, 05:36 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times
I had our 2016 Kia Sorento done last month. Took the dealer around 1/2 to do the fix and you get 2 decals one for each front driver and passenger windows say you need a key to start vehicle. I still use my club because these idiots won’t notice the decals and break the windows. We’re i live it hasn’t been a problem.

Old 05-31-2023, 06:02 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
Here is where you can check your Hyundai model's VIN to see if it's eligible for this software upgrade: https://owners.hyundaiusa.com/us/en/...e-upgrade.html

I just scheduled this upgrade for my 2013 Sonata for three months out. Guess they're being swamped right now with all their affected models. The dealership said that Hyundai is sending out notices in batches, so though you may not be eligible right now, you could be soon (check your VIN).

Since this whole debacle began on social media, I have not had any issue with getting (and retaining) comprehensive coverage at very reasonable rates.

And for all the comments dissing Hyundai... I have to admit of all the (non-Hyundai) cars I've owned in my life, this Sonata has been the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. No major repairs in 10 years w/brutal commutes. Just routine maintenance. Pretty impressive. Sometimes I have wished it would crap out already so I'd have a valid excuse to get a new car, but the beast just keeps going. Good problem to have, I guess.
I haven’t contacted my dealer for my 2015 Elantra. Going to the dealer in July for the free oil change, a benefit they offered at the time I purchased my car new. I had one issue with my engine but it was covered by the warranty and the dealer provided good follow up service. When the engine was fully warmed up and I would come to a stop, the engine would stall and shut down. Took at least a month at the dealer and talks with the technicians at Hyundai for a resolution. Since then there have been no issues.

Old 06-02-2023, 07:35 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,191,203 times
BTW, Hyundai is reimbursing people with affected vehicles for a steering wheel lock of your choice up to $50. If you call Hyundai customer support and ask for this, they will send you an email, you would then reply to the email with your receipt attached and they will send you a virtual or plastic (your choice) Mastercard for the amount you paid up to 50 bucks. I bought a lock on Amazon, downloaded my receipt then sent it to them. Within an hour, I received the reimbursement. I chose the virtual gift card, and added it to my payment options on Amazon. I didn't want to wait 8-10 days to receive a plastic card in the mail.

Also their customer support was able to expedite my appointment for the software upgrade to next week instead of waiting 3 months to get in (which is all the local dealership offered). I will say that I had to get a bit aggressive to get that done, which I didn't mind doing AT ALL.

This whole thing has become a major PIA, what with potential theft fears and insurance issues, which are getting more limited and expensive as increasingly more insurance companies are refusing to underwrite them. My current policy is being renewed for another 6 months, but after that, who knows? Soon, I think getting adequate insurance will become more cumbersome than the car's worth.

My final thought: Although the Sonata has been a great car, this experience has pretty much soured me on Hyundai altogether (& Kia) and will make a different choice with the next vehicle. The utterly stupid & cheap-wad decision they've been making FOR YEARS to not include the engine immobilizer in these models, and consequently causing all this grief for their customers, has finally came back to bite them in the @ss in the only way that means anything to them - $$$.

So to Hyundai I say, "hasta la vista, it's been real"...

Last edited by BijouBaby; 06-02-2023 at 08:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia