Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 04:52 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times

Advertisements

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/11/13/...ruz-confirmed/

They’ve finally confirmed they will begin building their crossover based compact pickup truck in 2021 in their Alabama factory. Considering this is Hyundai expect high features at a competitive price. Since it’s based upon an existing crossover the Powertrain has already been tested and is probably the same as the crossover it is based upon. It’s definitely not going to be a heavy duty truck. It may fill a gap in the truck market for a low cost truck for daily driving and only occasional hauling of light cargo. The crossover it is based upon is available in all wheel drive so it’s very likely the truck will also be available in all wheel drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2019, 04:53 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
I expect it will do about as well as the Mazda pickup or the Honda. Making a car with a bed has never been very successful in the pickup market.

Put it on a frame, give it some real hauling and towing power and capacity, throw in better ground clearance than a CUV, Strengthen the metal so it can take a beating (especially the bed). Now you are coming close to a pickup.

However now think about who buys pickups by the millions. Think Texans. Think "oh how cute you got yerself a little Hundee. How many gerbils you got running that thing?"

Sure. It is gong to be great!

Old 11-18-2019, 05:49 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
Gawd awful ugly.

Good enough, though, to haul a college dorm refrigerator !

Old 11-18-2019, 06:07 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I expect it will do about as well as the Mazda pickup or the Honda. Making a car with a bed has never been very successful in the pickup market.

Put it on a frame, give it some real hauling and towing power and capacity, throw in better ground clearance than a CUV, Strengthen the metal so it can take a beating (especially the bed). Now you are coming close to a pickup.

However now think about who buys pickups by the millions. Think Texans. Think "oh how cute you got yerself a little Hundee. How many gerbils you got running that thing?"

Sure. It is gong to be great!
Think back to the 70s when the hugely popular Japanese trucks (Datsun, Toyota, & Isuzu based Chevy Luv). How much could they tow or haul? They were car height, low on power, and had a tiny bed (shallow in height) but they sold well.

Old 11-18-2019, 06:34 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,037,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Think back to the 70s when the hugely popular Japanese trucks (Datsun, Toyota, & Isuzu based Chevy Luv). How much could they tow or haul? They were car height, low on power, and had a tiny bed (shallow in height) but they sold well.
I have very fond memories of my Datsun 1600 pickup truck. I really regret selling it.

I drive a one-ton diesel truck these days for towing, but for most folks a 1/4 ton pickup truck is all they need.

As a Forester, I drove that little Datsun on 4-wd roads and explored the Rocky Mountains and Sierra's in it.

Great little truck. I would buy another just for the memories.

Old 11-18-2019, 06:40 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Those smaller pickups back in the 70’s we’re Constructed on a 102.4-inch wheelbase, poised on a ladder frame, the 1972 Chevy LUV featured a suspension with unequal a-arms in front and a leaf-spring rear axle in the back. So yes they could haul more and tow more than the new Hyundai unibody small pickup. The new Hyundai will be struts on the rear instead of leaf springs. I never liked a mini pickup even in the 70’s when i was 20’s.

Old 11-18-2019, 07:17 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,150,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Gawd awful ugly.

Good enough, though, to haul a college dorm refrigerator !
The final product won't look like that.

Old 11-18-2019, 07:18 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,150,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Think Texans. Think "oh how cute you got yerself a little Hundee. How many gerbils you got running that thing?"
How many people do you truly believe are immature enough to think/talk this way? And how many people do you think are actually affected by cretins such as these to a point of having that alter a significant financial decision?

FWIW, the Mazda pickup did just fine given it was, essentially, a Ranger. Try to find a used one in decent shape for non-obscene money. Good luck.

Last edited by highlanderfil; 11-18-2019 at 07:27 PM..

Old 11-18-2019, 09:38 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,878,006 times
It's as if the Subaru Brat was re-introduced 40 years later.

Old 11-18-2019, 09:40 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,928,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
How many people do you truly believe are immature enough to think/talk this way? And how many people do you think are actually affected by cretins such as these to a point of having that alter a significant financial decision?

FWIW, the Mazda pickup did just fine given it was, essentially, a Ranger. Try to find a used one in decent shape for non-obscene money. Good luck.
Spend some time in the South/Texas, I guess, and you'll find plenty of people like that.

The Mazda, as you said, was a re-badged Ranger - a real body-on-frame pickup. Not many people looking for a car-based pickup these days...they will usually just buy a car-based crossover/SUV instead. If Honda can't sell more than 2,500 Ridgelines per month I don't see this Hyundai product making much impact, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia