Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2020, 05:01 AM

7,513 posts, read 7,262,779 times

Advertisements

Latest information from Consumer Reports indicates Palisade and Telluride are 2 of the top 10 SUVs you can buy in 2020.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2020, 10:53 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,776,958 times
I would also love to congratulate Kia for making the list along with Dodge. Consumer reports and JD Power. These are awards we should take very seriously.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...quality-study/

Old 06-25-2020, 01:53 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,949,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
These are awards we should take very seriously.
Um, no, we should not be taking this seriously.

We are discussing this here:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/auto...l-quality.html

This is one of the dumbest surveys on the planet and it means nothing, and the JD Power folks are good people so that is not a knock on them. 90% of the “problems” noted on these surveys are not really problems at all.

Often times it’s people reporting “issues” with multimedia interfaces or things not working as they are used to such as things like perceived “false positives” with forward collision warning systems, etc.

Think about this, how many people do you know, out of 100, who buy a new car and need to take it back to the dealer for a warranty repair in the first 90- days? Maybe a few out of 100? Yet according to this, on average, there are ~ 150 PP100 so that means it averages to be EVERY new car buyer is running to the shop at least once in the first 90-days, and half of new car buyers have to do that twice. Uuuummmm,, yeah.......ok......

These surveys are simply money-grabs by companies trying to make something out of nothing. These surveys should not be used for any type of automotive decision making.

Old 06-25-2020, 01:57 PM

sure we should take this information seriously. One that you're referring to is from JD Powers which is just the initial survey The other is from consumer reports which is much more reputable which is based on their data they collect from actual owners as well as their road tests that they do individually on the vehicles.

Old 06-25-2020, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
sure we should take this information seriously. One that you're referring to is from JD Powers which is just the initial survey The other is from consumer reports which is much more reputable which is based on their data they collect from actual owners as well as their road tests that they do individually on the vehicles.
I know what they are given I basically work with them every day. JD Power is a good organization and the info is interesting, but not directly correlated to actual quality performance. (Whether we are talking about the IQS or the VDS surveys.) OEM's do use the JD Power results to get feedback about their vehicles but we all know that they cannot predict or correlate reliability info.

Consumer Reports, on the other hand, is a sham organization and are basically shysters. I wouldn't take any survey result they produce and use it for anything. (The reviews are a little different story as those are just opinions as opposed to trying to portray small sample survey results as reality.)

I've probably done 100 vehicle quality reviews in my career (starting with 2000 Expedition/Navigator) and I'm certain of one thing: Neither JD Power or Consumers Reports measure of 3-Month or 3-Year PP100's actually match up with real warranty claim data. Anyone who uses either of those publications as a deciding factor in their purchase is just using non-relevant data to help make the decision.

Old 06-26-2020, 09:08 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,776,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
I know what they are given I basically work with them every day. JD Power is a good organization and the info is interesting, but not directly correlated to actual quality performance. (Whether we are talking about the IQS or the VDS surveys.) OEM's do use the JD Power results to get feedback about their vehicles but we all know that they cannot predict or correlate reliability info.

Consumer Reports, on the other hand, is a sham organization and are basically shysters. I wouldn't take any survey result they produce and use it for anything. (The reviews are a little different story as those are just opinions as opposed to trying to portray small sample survey results as reality.)

I've probably done 100 vehicle quality reviews in my career (starting with 2000 Expedition/Navigator) and I'm certain of one thing: Neither JD Power or Consumers Reports measure of 3-Month or 3-Year PP100's actually match up with real warranty claim data. Anyone who uses either of those publications as a deciding factor in their purchase is just using non-relevant data to help make the decision.
I 100% agree with you. consumer reports is a hack, and initial quality means nothing. if you car doesn't fell like quality when it's brand new, then there is something seriously wrong with your vehicle. if I were kia, I would not be happy to be on a list with dodge. kia's vehicles have improved, but see how they hold up. that has been their problem in the past, and based on my 2018 hyundai, they don't hold up well. trim pieces falling off, weather stripping, and little things like that. it shows me they cut corners. they sacrificed things like glue quality, to put in a heated seat.

Old 07-18-2020, 07:52 AM

846 posts, read 1,405,854 times
Generally speaking, I don't buy the first 2 years of any vehicle. This would be no different. Just because a car is initially "pretty" doesn't mean it's "in it" for the long stretch.

We have a Kia now and am concerned about dealership experiences and dealerships "having the backs" of consumers as I live in a market where that has not been my experience. We have had a horrible experience with our current Kia and cannot say that our experience has given us the confidence we need to purchase the brand again.

After the 3rd year, I look to a a lot of different variables including consumer reviews, reliability, safety, and more from a wide variety of data points including C&D, True Car, Edmunds, Consumer Reports, IIHS, and FB owner groups.

Old 07-21-2020, 05:41 AM

Several Kia and Hyundai dealerships in my area and they are known for their excellent customer relations when it comes to customer service.

Telluride has managed to be one of Consumer Reports top rated vehicles they have reviewed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubconsciousMe View Post
Generally speaking, I don't buy the first 2 years of any vehicle. This would be no different. Just because a car is initially "pretty" doesn't mean it's "in it" for the long stretch.

We have a Kia now and am concerned about dealership experiences and dealerships "having the backs" of consumers as I live in a market where that has not been my experience. We have had a horrible experience with our current Kia and cannot say that our experience has given us the confidence we need to purchase the brand again.

After the 3rd year, I look to a a lot of different variables including consumer reviews, reliability, safety, and more from a wide variety of data points including C&D, True Car, Edmunds, Consumer Reports, IIHS, and FB owner groups.

Old 07-21-2020, 06:01 AM

846 posts, read 1,405,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Several Kia and Hyundai dealerships in my area and they are known for their excellent customer relations when it comes to customer service.

Telluride has managed to be one of Consumer Reports top rated vehicles they have reviewed.
I am glad that you have had a positive experience with your local dealerships; however, that has not been my case. When dropping $45k on a vehicle, as with the Telluride, it seems reasonable to wait a few years to make sure those awards are consistent.

Old 07-21-2020, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubconsciousMe View Post
I am glad that you have had a positive experience with your local dealerships; however, that has not been my case. When dropping $45k on a vehicle, as with the Telluride, it seems reasonable to wait a few years to make sure those awards are consistent.
Hyundai/Kia still have a dealer network problem. When they got started, they handed out franchises to anyone who could walk and chew gum at the same time and they are still paying for that. (That's why the whole Genesis fiasco happened with their dealers. They did not want Genesis in the hands of some of those folks.)

I attend a lot of 20-group meetings and get to hear chatter from all dealer networks. Been doing this for 5+ years now, and my two main takeaways from those meetings are:

1) The dealers for Hyundai/Kia are by far the most inefficient group of dealers in our industry. They struggle to hit goals and metrics more than any other, just because their leadership is sub-par in many cases.

2) Back to the Telluride/quality discussion, Hyundai/Kia dealers are the ones, by far, complaining about poor vehicle quality and major powertrain issues more than any other dealer group. This is such a big issue that it is one of the Top 3 items on their National Dealer Council agenda. It's the only OEM group I've seen that still complain about major engine issues between 30K-75K miles.

For the most part, Hyundai/Kia have made some nice looking vehicles lately (although the newer Hyundais are starting to look bad) but if they fixed those two issues above they could become a much bigger player in the market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia