Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 05:11 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,124,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrunner+2 View Post
I just drove a Hyundai for a week-- it was a definite step down from a Honda or Toyota. Was not impressed.
You drove which Hyundai and compared it to which Honda or Toyota? There is nothing in the Honda or Toyota arsenal to compete with the Hyundai Genesis (not even close). You'd have to get into the Lexus GS to compete which puts you in pretty good company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 05:15 PM

To the OP,

I own a 2010 V8 Genesis with Tech Package which replaced my 2007 BMW 530i. It is a great car and the new 2015's are even better all around. The 2009-2014 cars are faster all around when equipped with the same engine because they are lighter and the top end Lexicon system is also better in the older cars but everything else from styling and interior to suspension tuning is improved on the 2015.

Old 06-01-2015, 05:29 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,902,468 times
^ how does the Genesis handle compared to the 530i? Body roll, cornering, etc. The suspension and everything that goes with it is what makes a BMW. We also own a Sonata and it's night and day difference.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
^ how does the Genesis handle compared to the 530i? Body roll, cornering, etc. The suspension and everything that goes with it is what makes a BMW. We also own a Sonata and it's night and day difference.
The Genesis is a larger car, the interior even for front passengers is noticeably tighter in the E60 5 series. That said, the E60 does have tighter steering/handling but awful ride quality in comparison. The Genesis is very smooth, almost glass like on smooth highways (more Mercedes) but has a bit more roll. I have the R-SPEC suspension from a 2013 Hyundai Genesis 5.0 R-SPEC install on my 2010 4.6 and it offers a nice balance between ride comfort and handling. In terms of size and interior volume the Genesis feels like it would sit between an E60 and a 7 series. I love opening the V8 up on a freeway on ramp as it makes peak power up high and loves revving to 6600. It's very smooth too, sounds mean with a good exhaust (I've got Dynomax VT's on mine).

Interior volumes per Edmunds:

2007 BMW 5 Series = 113.1 cu.ft

2010 Hyundai Genesis: 125.0 cu.ft

2010 BMW 7 Series = 120.0 cu.ft

2010 Mercedes S Class = 125.7 cu.ft

Last edited by iTsLiKeAnEgG; 06-01-2015 at 08:14 PM..

Old 06-02-2015, 01:54 PM

104 posts, read 111,514 times
Thanks everyone I really appreciate your responses. And by the way this was the first time I posted a question so, I did so on the wrong the thread, I apologize. I will keep checking in hopes of finding some one who has drivien this car.

Old 06-02-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle2015 View Post
Thanks everyone I really appreciate your responses. And by the way this was the first time I posted a question so, I did so on the wrong the thread, I apologize. I will keep checking in hopes of finding some one who has drivien this car.
I've driven it and recommend it. There really isn't much to complain about it and it does stack up very well with higher end luxury marques. The 2015's are too new to gauge reliability but the previous gen 2009-2014 cars have been quite good. There are a lot of owners on the genesisowners.com forums who have over 100k miles on theirs.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:21 PM

104 posts, read 111,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
I've driven it and recommend it. There really isn't much to complain about it and it does stack up very well with higher end luxury marques. The 2015's are too new to gauge reliability but the previous gen 2009-2014 cars have been quite good. There are a lot of owners on the genesisowners.com forums who have over 100k miles on theirs.
Thanks so very much for your information and I am going to purchase the Genesis. There is only one last thing for me to figure out and that is should I get the V6 or V8. Some reviews are saying that there is negligible difference in the performance. I am going to genesisowners.com now, thanks for the referral.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:30 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,425,765 times
I have driven both generations of the Genesis, and used to always get the previous generation as a renal when it was available. The Genesis is a very smooth and composed vehicle, with the 2015 offering a very compelling package for the price. The BMW 5-Series is a direct competitor, and the handling is top-notch, but that car is not tuned for comfort, more for its sporting presence, so the Genesis tends to fall more to a Mercedes E and Lexus GS in terms of comparable vehicles.

The Genesis offers a good balance between comfort and handling for the majority of divers, very similar to a Mercedes E-Class. However, at the same content level, you get a better value in the Hyundai, about $10-15k less than a comparably equipped E, not factoring the AMG because few cars can compete with it. Hyundai's V6 is smooth and offers a very good amount of power for everyday driving, I find, in the current generation, with the 8-cylinder offering a bit more performance and a smooth delivery. Audi also appears to have been a benchmark with the Huyndai, though the base Audi uses the 2.0T 4-cylinder engine, but gets very good fuel economy for the class.

If you want an under-the-radar car, the Genesis is an excellent choice. It's the only Hyundai that I would consider, since the Equus isn't as compelling when considering the competition, in its current form, and I do not like the FWD Hyundai models, but will take an Azera as a rental as there are very few Genesis in fleets with the redesign. Perhaps in another generation, the Equus would improve. In fact, if I have need for a vehicle in its size class, the Genesis is on the short list, especially now with an AWD option, which comes in handy for where I live/drive, as opposed to RWD. However, in the previous generation, with a rental car running all-season radials, the Genesis handled well on plowed roads with less than two inches present on the road surface, though part of that is knowing how to handle the car under those conditions, but for a RWD, even with the traction and stability control features, I would prefer snow tires.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-04-2015, 01:57 PM

2 posts, read 2,995 times
Hyundai's may be good cars. In fact, I enjoy the Hyundai that I recently purchased (2013, Hyundai Sonata Hybrid) but THERE'S A CATCH!. If your about to purchase a Hyundai, or on the fence about it I advise that you call Hyundai USA customer service line and just ask a few simple questions. They are completely incompetent.

If you have problems with you car or you need questions answered then your completely on your own! This alone is enough to get me to purchase from a different manufacturer because who wants to spend thousands of dollars and then have to deal with an incompetent support team?

Old 09-01-2016, 09:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,875 times
Before talking about the 2015 Genesis sedan, I'd like to mention that among many new vehicles, I've owned a 1996 Mustang GT convertible, 2002 BMW 530, 2010 VW Jetta, 2011 Corvette....and the Genesis. The 1990 Taurus, 1992 Aerostar and 2001 Pathfinder don't belong to this comment. The BMW 530 2002 is a real sport sedan, few cars steer and brake with its precision. However, hasn't been reliable. Seats, radiator, Vanos, oil separator (PVC), PS hoses, valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket, windshield washer pump, a/c regulator, etc. have failed despite driven less than 5000 miles a year. BMW engine is responsive and smooth and body style is timeless. The Genesis sedan 2015 is a mix of Audi and Lexus outside and BMW inside. I like its front and side views. The interior fit and finish is top class, the dashboard is uncluttered and easy to use and seats are comfortable. I checked rear seat leg room in 2016 CTS, BMW 5 series and MB E series and Genesis' room was bigger. Genesis ride is more relaxed without being floaty. It is not in BMW 530 2002 sport sedan class, but neither is Mercedes or current BMW 5 series. Genesis 3.8 V6 engine is more than enough and should last longer than many high rev 4 cyl turbos under the hood of many luxury sedans. To me, attractive style, safety, civilized ride, regular gas, longer warranty and almost $10K saved, means something. There is no better car on the market for that price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia