Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 07:03 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,243,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
yep...

my suggestion buy a spare pcm, get it tuned and put it in, things go bad, put factory, never tuned PCM back in.
Unless the PCM keeps tracking of the mileage, then it will not work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 07:17 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times
Why do you want to increase the power in an Elantra? From the road test on this car that I've read, the suspension isn't really worth the price and effort to bump up power. They're coming out with a GT version (four door hatch) and later a coupe version with the same engine but with an alledgedly improved suspension. It would be sweet if they could take the Sonata base engine or a detuned Sonata turbo engine and drop either in the Elantra GT or coupe.

Old 06-24-2012, 07:29 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,890,380 times
I could see the new Veloster Turbo's engine going into a future Elantra. 200HP and 40MPG on regular gas. Heck yea.

Old 06-24-2012, 07:44 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,285,568 times
The vehicle manufacturers design their cars for ALL driving conditions and test them in ALL driving conditions.

Like lower and higher altitude where the amounts of oxygen in the air differs. Or very cold / very hot weather. Humid / dry air. Driving uphill for very long stretches in very hot weather. Etc.

So the car you get from the factory will operate in all those different conditions.

Do these "chip" sellers do the same amount of testing? Will the vehicle still operate as it should in extreme driving conditions?

I think I would rather trust the rooms full of engineers who design and test these vehicles at the factory.

Same goes for installing non-factory specification parts like spark plugs, spark plug wires, air cleaners, etc. These things may "look" impressive, but I see a LOT of people switch out these parts, then have all sorts of engine and other troubles.

If it works, don't fix it!

Old 06-24-2012, 10:43 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,447,135 times
Those chips don't work.

Unfortunately, he doesn't design them for foreign cars, but one of my engineers designs (and sells) a processor reprogramming kit, that includes an application that runs on a PC, and an interface cable. You can reprogram almost all aspects of the car that are processor-controlled (it saves the factory settings, so you can always go back). Things like shift points, advance curves, etc. A whole pile of parameters, but you need to know what you are doing. He sold a huge pile of them to race car enthusiasts. It works really well. I would imagine it voids the warranty, thus you need to put back the original settings if you toast the engine.

The brother of another one of my engineers does the same thing for diesel truck engines (such as the Cummins), like those in the bigger pickups. The problem there is if you aren't careful, you can generate so much torque that the transmission gets destroyed.

But I digress, as usual.

Bottom line is the drop-in chips don't really work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia