Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 11:54 AM

1,645 posts, read 4,591,990 times

Advertisements

mcdonalds would be awful--imagine the teens and the problems with that one. There is county property across the street so in essence we could end up getting a strip joint. I hope not. But it's there...

I agree. It does seem like an odd place to put a gas station, but when I queried the city council about it, they weren't against the idea... it's a $$$maker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 11:56 AM

And it dawned on me that anyone googling the city of madison and looking at the maps today won't see the new rezoning possibility on that field.

Another issue--sorry to confuse disclosure with this issue. That's another battle for another day and I've already fought that one.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:01 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,990,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionlife View Post
We are concerned because they are planning to rezone the area off of Balch/Gillespie (corner) as commercial/business.

Very unfair.

But we bought where we bought precisely because it is not a major highway.
Let me see if I understand your issue. They plan to rezone the (north-east) corner of Balch/ Gillespie to commercial and plan for fast food/gas station?

Is your house back up against this property?

The map online is at least a year old and it doesn't show new residential area. There're no residential property back up against this corner from the map online. Unless it's the South-West corner, then I can see some residential housing could be backed up against it.

In general, it doesn't make sense why would anyone want to put a fast food/ gas station in that corner. Countyline, Wall Triana, or University would be a much better place, IMO.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:17 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,811,191 times
From my understanding, this proposed development isn't on County Line but on Balch, which is close to County Line. Am I right?

Old 12-15-2009, 03:28 PM

355 posts, read 965,323 times
No doubt county line is going to end up like 72 with window tint shops, mcdonalds, and used car lots all up and down. There are tons of empty lots along the road that are going to filled with junk sooner than later..

Old 12-15-2009, 03:34 PM

956 posts, read 2,503,755 times
As for disclosure, anyone can ask to be rezoned at any time, anywhere. Doesn't mean they will get it, but that is the case nationwide. No one has any way of knowing if someone wants to rezone in the future.

Old 12-15-2009, 04:42 PM

Sorry if I confused: right now the property is zoned agricultural (corner of Balch and Gillespie NE). This property WAS zoned to be light residential in the future when we purchased and is set that way NOW. However, the City of Madison's planning commission is discussing the possibility of REZONING the corner to be B2 commercial (anything from small strip mall to gas station to convenience store to fast food place). And they are also discussing rezoning the rest of the land to higher density residential zoning (450 houses). The roads, Balch and Gillespie, on the corner will be made into (by my understanding of the legalese), accesses to that corner. Now I ask you, why do we need dual access to that corner? Hmmm. Let me see. Every corner gas station combo fast food/convenience mart is set up that way.

Will they allow a corner gas station? Well, we don't need one, but one person I spoke to on the council indicated we do need more gas stations in Madison City. Also, the sales generate $$$. When I pushed for more info and understanding, I was told my home values would not be affected by this because the new Publix on County Line didn't affect home values. Huh? Mawoods, did you buy there? Nope.

A grocery store is at least better than what I am anticipating.

Any rate, maybe we might get lucky and they'll, if the rezoning passes, only put in a tasteful strip mall (hahahahahaha--laughing hysterically). Talk about an OXYMORON.

But you're right Eliz. G. It's not about disclosure. It's about future changes we can't anticipate as homebuyers. We can only try to stop them.

Old 12-15-2009, 05:38 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,990,640 times
So you are not sure if it's definitely going to be a gas station in that corner.

It could be like a CVS pharmacy type of strip mall, they do have 2 entrances.

Also if your house is not back up against that property, why are you so upset? Yeah it will change the current make up of neighborhood, but it will not drastically change your immediate neighborhood and your property value.

Unless I am missing something...

Personally if I was a gas station owner, I'd buy a location right on Countyline road. It gets way more traffic than Balch.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:20 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,845,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E Limestone Dude View Post
No doubt county line is going to end up like 72 with window tint shops, mcdonalds, and used car lots all up and down. There are tons of empty lots along the road that are going to filled with junk sooner than later..

Was this serious or just kidding? I don't know County Line road well enough. I'd be surprised if this was serious as I remember that whole region to be newer homes with what looked like planning.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:35 PM

355 posts, read 965,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Was this serious or just kidding? I don't know County Line road well enough. I'd be surprised if this was serious as I remember that whole region to be newer homes with what looked like planning.

Yep, I'm serious. All those homes have empty commercial lots in front of the neighborhoods. Strip malls and junky stores take no time to pop up in front of the neighborhoods. First sign is there is a new apartment complex they are building...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area