Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 07:41 AM

1,806 posts, read 5,709,455 times

Advertisements

OK, so I've got this path started, almost done...but pricing the supplies at the local Home Improvement stores shocked me...my adventures had been so much smaller in FL, didn't have the same kind of financial impact. Ahem.
I have approximately 250 feet to cover, so serious economizing is necessary.
Buying bags seems like I'll be wasting money (HD wants $3.68-3.98 per bag of 'paver filler'), so if buying in bulk is cheaper, I'll take the topper off my truck and load up.

I know I passed some sort of landscaping (mulch and rock) supplier during travels through town, but don't know where I was and if that was open to the public or wholesale trade only.

Recommendations? Where/Who? Got to stay simple. Just need to be able to walk on it, keep from sliding off the hill. Can dress up later when funded for bells and whistles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 07:53 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,974,055 times
One place to check is called "Across the Pond" on N. Memorial Parkway just next to the Bennett Nursery. They sell a wide variety of stones/ pavers and sands, etc. Sounds like you need at least a "pallet" of flagstone which runs ~$500.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:11 AM

Haven't been there yet, but when we drive by I always say, "Oh, we have to check that out..."
The commercials are enticing.

I'm not going to do solid flagstone, just enough to have something solid here and there - most of the path will be a filler. At least for now. Saw some large, asymmetrical sandstone faux 'flagstones' at HD, two bucks cheaper at Lowe's. May do that, but still need gravel or crushed granite...I guess mulch if the other is too costly.
(I really needed the path...even generic and boring is better than traipsing through the grass every day.)

Old 09-18-2009, 08:22 AM

I am going through the same thing with my backyard. The idea of just putting down mulch is interesting, I should look into that.

I was just going to put large stones to make a walkway, but it sounds like I could put down mulch then put stones on top of that...

Old 09-18-2009, 08:36 AM

The thing is weeding...creepers will invade your mulch even if you put a liner down first...so RoundUp will be your new best friend. Catch it early and the grass will pull without too much disarray...let it get settled and then it gets messy. I speak from recent experience.

I would really like to go the crushed/decomposed granite route because I can tamp that down and be done, period. 'Not have to worry about annual replacement...but the cost might be an issue. So maybe next year for that, mulch now.
The other option for later is to plant moss or thyme (or somethin') in between the flagstones...

As far as bordering, going to keep the berm and leave that grass (adding drainage pipes), later to kill it off and plant something...low ornamental grass, Juniper groundcover...thought about hardy ferns but need 365 coverage - not sure if any are evergreen here, will check online. Maybe some sort of cool little shrubs, but so over Boxwood.

Google garden pathway and you'll see all kinds of cool stuff.
http://edenmakersblog.com/?p=893

Last edited by 33458; 09-18-2009 at 08:52 AM..

Old 09-18-2009, 09:42 AM

23,604 posts, read 70,456,777 times
250 feet, but how wide and how deep? For a stable surface you need about 6" of depth, I find it kind of hard to imagine a path less than 3' wide that would work, so 1.5 x 250 = 14 cubic yards. The cheapest and best material for such a base is called "crusher run" and is available from the Rogers Group quarry out in west Limestone county. If compacted properly, it forms an almost concrete hard surface. Spreading it means borrowing or renting a small front end loader. The delivery truck can sometimes do a coarse spreading, but that is about driveway wide. I'd have it dumped in about five piles, equally spaced along the path.

Do NOT use a pickup for hauling gravel. There is a load rating on the door. NEVER go above that. I've seen bubbas with duallies think "Gawrsh, I've got four tires back there, I can load the bed up." WRONG!!! A load of gravel will snap an axle faster than you can spit a chaw of tobacco. Pay for the delivery. The safe load of gravel for a pickup is on the order of a layer 3" deep.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
250 feet, but how wide and how deep? For a stable surface you need about 6" of depth, I find it kind of hard to imagine a path less than 3' wide that would work, so 1.5 x 250 = 14 cubic yards. The cheapest and best material for such a base is called "crusher run" and is available from the Rogers Group quarry out in west Limestone county. If compacted properly, it forms an almost concrete hard surface. Spreading it means borrowing or renting a small front end loader. The delivery truck can sometimes do a coarse spreading, but that is about driveway wide. I'd have it dumped in about five piles, equally spaced along the path.

Do NOT use a pickup for hauling gravel. There is a load rating on the door. NEVER go above that. I've seen bubbas with duallies think "Gawrsh, I've got four tires back there, I can load the bed up." WRONG!!! A load of gravel will snap an axle faster than you can spit a chaw of tobacco. Pay for the delivery. The safe load of gravel for a pickup is on the order of a layer 3" deep.
OK, I hear you about the truck...(would've made several trips, but yeah...that would probably be enough gas money to pay for delivery...)

I measured the whole thing out as 54 feet long by 4.5 wide, plus a little spot off the driveway - that's not official yet and the path is not the same width the whole way, some spots are only 4 feet for an organic feel. Wide enough for a wheelbarrow. Depth, still undetermined as I'm not done grading the stretch yet. 250 is to make sure there's enough material...
"Crusher Run" sounds like the stuff I'm talking about, but have only heard it as crushed or decomposed. Supposed to continue compacting instead of loosening with time, so I think we're talking about the same thing. Can come in assorted colors...but I'm not that picky at this point.

Now, it takes a lot of sweat, but I've seen this substance moved around in wheelbarrows a bit at a time. That's what I planned to do, if it takes me a week or two, a tub of Gatorade and a bottle of flex-all. I can't really have a truck dump it along the path...there are young trees in the way.

Last edited by 33458; 09-18-2009 at 11:33 AM..

Old 09-18-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33458 View Post
Now, it takes a lot of sweat, but I've seen this substance moved around in wheelbarrows a bit at a time. That's what I planned to do, if it takes me a week or two, a tub of Gatorade and a bottle of flex-all. I can't really have a truck dump it along the path...there are young trees in the way.
Probably be worth the money just hire a couple of 'temporary laborers' to do that job.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:18 PM

23,604 posts, read 70,456,777 times
OK, that is about 5 cubic yards. Figure about seven or eight tons. Ehhh, get a truckload.

Crusher run is crushed limestone, which is one of the reasons it has a cement-like quality. It is naturally a whitish gray. Granite is a whole different puppy. MUCH MUCH harder, and is is quarried in big blocks. The trimmings are called grout, and was popular for a lot of projects back in Vermont. I'm not aware of any significant granite deposits in this area.

Wheeling and dumping is do-able, although a riding mower and a dump cart is easier. The work comes in shoveling the stuff into the barrow. It is delivered wet (environmental concerns) and compacts in the pile some. I'm guessing about 20,000 shovels full, lifted to wheelbarrow height. About 20 to 25 hours of lifting (alone) for a weekend warrior, plus wheeling the barrow, dumping and smoothing. A skid-steer would get the job done in an afternoon. Look into the cost of a half-day rental, and you may find your back thanking you.

Old 09-18-2009, 12:28 PM

Mulch is starting to look better to me, even if it isn't what I want. :I

Rock. I don't mind the exercise, but the level of difficulty...I do have to get the stuff up a small hill with a nasty incline, not just get it over there. It might take longer than a week then, but if the load is dumped on the street or lower yard, a bit of traveling is involved. I'm strong and determined (stubborn) but not a powerhouse. DIY, no outside labor, so it has to be within my means. That's why my various 'improvements' are so long in coming.

Will discuss with the husband.

P.S. Thanks, guys!

Last edited by 33458; 09-18-2009 at 12:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area