Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 01:16 PM

593 posts, read 2,440,004 times

Advertisements

Sorry to hear about that Elizabeth...hope you are on the up and up soon!

Just looking again (as my trip is getting closer), things have changed on the flu tracker since last week...Alabama is still red, but now Georgia, Mississippi and Tennessee are getting darker orange too.

Let's hope that we can all stay healthy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 01:24 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,189,652 times
Yup, this has been a busy week at my wife's doc office...I'm just waiting for her to bring home the gift that just keeps on giving...

Old 09-11-2009, 01:34 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,335,319 times
just stay away from kids, they're the carriers

oh and avoid large groups of people in confined spaces like public transport, rest stops, fast food places, grocery stores, etc.

in fact, we should probably all walk, alone, taking different routes

(oh and in AL a 40-something dude year old dude and a 50-something year old dude DIED from it according to a spot on WHNT early today)

Old 09-11-2009, 04:35 PM

593 posts, read 2,440,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caution View Post
just stay away from kids, they're the carriers

oh and avoid large groups of people in confined spaces like public transport, rest stops, fast food places, grocery stores, etc.
And especially with school starting back up it's worth it to take all the precautionary measures...especially the "easy" (but often overlooked) ones like getting enough sleep, eating healthy, and exercising.

Old 09-11-2009, 06:35 PM

173 posts, read 331,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCguy03 View Post
And especially with school starting back up ...
Most of our schools have been in session for about a month now. No doubt contributing to more cases, sooner compared to areas where schools don't start until after Labor Day.

Old 09-14-2009, 03:27 PM

7 posts, read 17,292 times
This swine flu bull is Media hype..325 million people in the U.S and maybe a couple hundred cases found in the past 10 months and the media has every body dying...MOst of the cases found is regular flu not swine flu but the lying media is saying it is swine flu..

Last edited by Israeli007; 09-14-2009 at 03:40 PM..

Old 09-14-2009, 06:42 PM

692 posts, read 1,503,103 times
I don't know if it is all hype or ignorance, or maybe even trying to downplay to avoid the panic.

It could be something as innocent as confusing "probable" and "confirmed" cases. For right now my son has a case of "probable swine flu" That was his official diagnosis. We will know in a week or so whether or not it is officially the swine flu.

What causes a case to be probable(according to our Dr) is that they test positive for a certain strain of influenza(I think it is A) and then there are additional symptoms that don't typically come with that strain. Well, who is to say that someone doesn't have those additional symptoms just from the "regular flu"? So they send out the sample and the CDC(I think that is who they said) has to test to confirm and that takes time.

For Quin those "additional symptoms" were his ear was red, his lungs were strained(but not fluid-filled yet), and he had a 102. With all of that coming on in the first 12 hours, they assume swine flu. I guess the "normal" flu is slower to develop. We are out of school for a week right now and we were told to be prepared for up to 3 weeks. All of this with a 24 hour respiratory distress watch...the fun never ends

Wishing everyone a swine-flu free fall!!

Old 09-14-2009, 06:47 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
For several days, my five year old has had a fever that climbs above 104F; we can get it into the 101-102 range with fever reducer. Went to the doctor today. Extremely weak and lots of coughing. Today was the first day in about four that she was able to walk around the house.

I plan on opening the windows and letting some of the soothing Alabama humidity into the house for her to breath instead of the drying air conditioned air.

Last edited by Charles; 09-14-2009 at 06:56 PM..

Old 09-14-2009, 07:23 PM

692 posts, read 1,503,103 times
Yuck, the poor baby(and parents)!!!

I hope she feels better soon. Did she also have swine flu or "probable" swine flu?

I hope it doesn't start floating around between your family members, that is the worst when they start giving it back and forth, sometimes even with fun variations.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:25 PM

956 posts, read 2,500,870 times
tammie2 and Charles, I hope your kids feel better soon. Poor things.
Tammie2, 3 weeks? OMG. That's awful.

The kids at Bob Jones are dropping like flies with the H1N1 strain. (I think that's the combo). Swine flu, so they say. Keeping my fingers crossed that my daughter doesn't drag it home. I guess a few of the marching band kids have it now...I made her shower when she got in the door and scrub down before touching us, lol. They were all on a bus Friday together, riding to the Florence game, swapping germs. Should get interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area