Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 01:17 PM

7 posts, read 22,271 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We visited the Shoals area a year and a half ago and really liked it there. The area was so pretty and the people we met were friendly. We are considering a move from California, and Florence or Muscle Shoals are two of the possibilities. I've read other posts but still have a few questions-

Is it difficult to find jobs there? We are retired, but my husband still would like to work part-time.

What is the summer weather like? When we visited it was early October and are curious about how hot and humid it gets there in the summer. Is it more humid in the summer there than it is in October? (We thought October was very nice there).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 01:56 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Here are data from Huntsville which isn't too far away

Average High

Average Low

Average Precipitation

Average days of Precipitation > 0.1in

Average Morning Humidity

Average Afternoon Humidity

Mean Temperature

Old 05-28-2009, 02:01 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,415,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by may relocate View Post
Hello,

We visited the Shoals area a year and a half ago and really liked it there. The area was so pretty and the people we met were friendly. We are considering a move from California, and Florence or Muscle Shoals are two of the possibilities. I've read other posts but still have a few questions-

Is it difficult to find jobs there? We are retired, but my husband still would like to work part-time.

What is the summer weather like? When we visited it was early October and are curious about how hot and humid it gets there in the summer. Is it more humid in the summer there than it is in October? (We thought October was very nice there).

Thanks!
If you are expecting to find a high-paying part-time job, then no, jobs are not plentiful. There is the usual fast-food, Wal-Mart, retail-type job. Just as costs are low, pay is low. The area has plenty to recommend it, but it is not a booming part of Alabama.

October is one of the best-weather months of the year. Warm, but not nearly as humid as summer. Summers in Alabama are QUITE humid, and hot. Upper 80s to up in the 90s is normal, and the humidity is rarely less than 80%. Even winters are humid. It's why we all have nice complexions!

Old 05-28-2009, 07:28 PM

Thank you Charles and Southlander for your replies, they were very helpful. I think we will end up visiting again, but during the summer, before we make any decisions. We thought it was a beautiful part of the country and we hear that the cost of living there is good too.

Thanks again!

Old 05-28-2009, 07:29 PM

Where in California are you moving from?

The reason I ask, is I (as a native Angeleno) found that Huntsville's past winter was colder than Huntsville's last summer was hot.

Average High LA & Huntsville

Old 05-28-2009, 09:19 PM

Charles-

We are in Central CA, but my husband is originally from the San Fernando Valley. When did you relocate and was it difficult to adjust to the humidity there?

Old 05-29-2009, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by may relocate View Post
Charles-

We are in Central CA, but my husband is originally from the San Fernando Valley. When did you relocate and was it difficult to adjust to the humidity there?
Last August.

No, the humidity isn't bugging me that much but mosquitoes are annoying. I am either outside doing something active like playing basketball or mowing the lawn in both cases I am sweating anyway - or I am just sitting around and not sweating - or I am inside.

I am at soccer fields and outside with my kids during the "mosquito hours" of like 6-8 PM so it is a hassle to always have to spray.

Still, the coldness of the winters is a bigger difference from California than the summers. Unless you are at the coast in California, it is pretty hot. In fact even with humidity, Huntsville doesn't feel that much hotter than the San Fernando Valley (I grew up in Canoga Park - it is pretty darn hot in CP). Also, I don't think Huntsville's summers are as long as SFV summers. Summers in the SFV are from late June through October. In Huntsville (as can be seen on the graphics above) it is only bad in July and August. However, it doesn't cool off at night in Huntsville so the AC is on all night - but it cycles on and off so it isn't really a big electricity cost. In CA everyone opens their windows at 8 or 9PM because it cools off fast.
In CA, I was swimming outdoors all year around because it was always in the 60s and 70s in winter. In Huntsville, We had some nights this winter in the teens and a couple daytime highs in the 30s.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:17 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Where in California are you moving from?

The reason I ask, is I (as a native Angeleno) found that Huntsville's past winter was colder than Huntsville's last summer was hot.

Having a California moment there, Charles???

Old 05-29-2009, 08:22 AM

86 posts, read 234,395 times
I live in Huntsville now (1 year as of last week!) but I was born, raised, and went to scool in Florence.

There is a reason why I'm in Huntsville now. Unless you want to work at a restaruant, bank, or a church you are out of luck. There are virtually no tech jobs around. It really is a good retirement community though. Close to the river and plenty of golf courses.

As far as weather goes, spring and fall are great, but they don't last long. Winters are fairly cold 20's to 30's are as low as it gets, but snow rarely ever accumulates. Summers are long and hot and very humid.

All that being said, my wife and I plan on moving back some day. It's a great place to retire, just don't plan on finding any work. Even the wal-mart jobs are getting hard to come by.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:47 PM

Charles and RemoWilliams84, Thanks for your posts. We are now planning on visiting this summer so we can see what the weather is like then.

Charles, my husband has a few questions for you-

Hi Charles, Thank you for the info you gave my wife. I understand that the property taxes and utility costs are quite a bit less expensive in Al compared to Ca. Can you share some info. on that? We found a small city in Ms. that looks interesting. Do you know anything about Corinth? Also, I was born and raised in Reseda, Ca. and my family still lives in the valley with my mom currently living in Canoga Park. Thanks for your time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area