Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2009, 12:21 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times

Advertisements

Anybody have any info (negative or positive) about this community? I am looking at a home here and the neighborhood seems nice, close to shopping, great park nearby, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 05:00 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,925,857 times
I have represented a couple buyers that bought in the Madison Towne Centre. I really have only heard positives from there. They do have an Association so you will have to pay dues. The main thing my clients liked was the location. Very close to Research Park and close to 565 as well. And yes the park is a big plus as well.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:32 PM

I dont mind the dues, since it means they are doing my yard!!! Big selling point! But I do have a question about moisture in the windows: is that an association thing since it is unsightly? Its not a problem if it isnt but its a fair question (according to me) ;-)

Old 01-11-2009, 07:20 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,925,857 times
Honestly I don't think moisture in the windows would be something that the association would cover. Here is the Madison Town Centre website in case you don't have it.

Madison Towne Centre Online

Old 01-11-2009, 12:44 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,415,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I dont mind the dues, since it means they are doing my yard!!! Big selling point! But I do have a question about moisture in the windows: is that an association thing since it is unsightly? Its not a problem if it isnt but its a fair question (according to me) ;-)
Your yard? Maybe if you're in a condo or townhouse. Our HOA only does yardwork for the common areas.

We have moisture in between our double-paned, 10-year-old windows, and things are beginning to rust. We'll probably have to start replacing windows this summer.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:03 AM

Yes, believe it or not, they will mow my yard and trim the bushes. Any other landscaping I am responsible for.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:33 PM

2 posts, read 9,150 times
Yes, the MTC HOA does contract out yard work (mowing and pruning) for patio homes. MTC is a condominium association, so you would not really be purchasing any private land. Each patio home owner only owns the structure and specific private elements (patios, driveways, etc.) All undeveloped land within the perimeter is jointly owned by all the MTC homeowners, and is maintained through dues collection.

However, patio home owners who construct back yard fences forfeit that benefit within their enclosed areas. The HOA still owns the land, but the owner becomes responsible for maintaining it.

Patio home windows, on the other hand, are the responsibility of the home owner. The division of labor is somewhat more complicated for a townhouse, but the association doesn't get involved for any repairs to a patio home (unless it falls under the coverage of the umbrella insurance policy).

P.S. If the windows are foggy, I definitely recommend replacing them with vinyl windows. IMHO, the original builders didn't put in very high quality windows. Replacement windows look better and make a big difference in the utility bill.

Last edited by Andrew Edge; 01-15-2009 at 02:35 PM.. Reason: Added P.S.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:21 PM

55 posts, read 296,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Yes, believe it or not, they will mow my yard and trim the bushes. Any other landscaping I am responsible for.
The question I'm asking myself is just how much a month/year is your HOA. I've learned over the years there is always a catch !!!

Old 01-17-2009, 12:29 PM

2 posts, read 9,150 times
That's all spelled out on the MTC website. The dues depend on the unit type and its square percentage. The dues for a two-story patio home are around $120/month, and cover landscaping, basic cable, two pools, tennis & volleyball courts, umbrella insurance, termite bond, pest control, community structures, etc.

The biggest catch with shared landscaping is the quality of service home owners expect. The expections are always higher than what most residents are actually willing to pay for. The association tries to strike a balance between those who want to pay minimal dues, don't demand that the yards look like golf courses, and are willing to do their own pruning and raking on occasion, versus those owners (often retired folks who are home more) who would spend hours a day on their yards on their own, and expect the same level of service from the landscaping contractors. The compromises usually make everyone unhappy to some degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area