Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 04:22 PM

34 posts, read 125,325 times

Advertisements

HI everyone

I would like to know something about bad areas to live in HSV, because I'm going to come in HSV on July and I have to choose what is the right area in order to rent a house for my family.
Best regards

Ezio VECCHI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 04:36 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,191,933 times
How much are you looking to spend for rent? Do you want a house or apt? Will you be working at Redstone? Do you have children?

Once the good folks here know that they can tell you more..

Old 03-10-2008, 05:42 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,438,277 times
Generally - avoid the area within these bounds: west of Memorial Parkway / US231, north of Airport Rd / Johnson Rd, east of Patton / Ardmore Hwy / AL53, and south of Bob Wade Lane. If you have a question about a specific area, please ask.

This link displays Madison County (including Huntsville and Madison) elementary school SAT scores; look for neighborhoods in school zones that score high:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/hunts...grade-sat.html

Old 03-11-2008, 09:27 AM

168 posts, read 559,796 times
Welcome Ezio,

I would like to provide a counter-thought to the earlier post. I appreciate what Reactionary said in his post and I do believe that his post comes from a sincere place. There is an old expression about something being "true in general, but false in particular". I am about to be a resident of the area in question and I hope to assist others in improving an old textile mill village. I am moving from an historic district, Five Points, and I have nothing but great things to say for it. The neighborhood has experienced a drastic increase in property prices over the past five years. I am moving because my wife wants to have a larger house, with old South charm and located close to downtown. My new house was built in 1900 and possesses all the desired qualities, plus I can afford more space on my salary! The neighborhood has been around for a long time and many residents have been there for a long time. They are fiercely proud of their homes and they are tireless workers when it comes to improving it. The neighborhood received a poor reputation because of absentee landlords and their penchant for taking in anyone with a month's rent payment. That reputation is hard to erase, but many people are actively trying. I would propose that if you are looking for a good bargain, closeness to parks and downtown and desire to be a member of a walkable community, the northwest part of Huntsville may offer something for you. Good luck on your hunt and welcome to one of the best parts of the world, imo!

Last edited by Keeper; 03-11-2008 at 09:42 AM.. Reason: edited poster name

Old 03-11-2008, 09:43 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,191,933 times
Where exactly is the Old textile village?

Old 03-11-2008, 09:49 AM

168 posts, read 559,796 times
Yessir, the textile mill village is the Merrimack Mill Village. I guess the boundaries would be: west of Triana, North of Drake, South of Bob Wallace and east of Clopton. The western boundary is probably not accurate. We are excited about joining the neighborhood. Are you familiar with it?

Old 03-11-2008, 11:03 AM

clamoore - if the OPs 'family' includes school-age children, would you still recommend the area?

I like the Merrimack Mill area. City Councilman Bill Kling has been a tireless proponent for revitalizing the area. When the rescue mission is paved it may help out some, BUT there are still projects very close by, plus your area (especially Seminole to 1st) is a known prostitution and drug zone - nothing "false in particular" about that. Add to that the high property crime and violent crime and that area is only for the adventurous.

I realize that you are helping to change the place and I commend your courage.

Last edited by Reactionary; 03-11-2008 at 11:23 AM..

Old 03-11-2008, 11:12 AM

4 posts, read 17,692 times
Northwest Huntsville is crime ridden. My parents live there & I grew up there. If possible, live in Madison, Harvest, or some other outlying area & commute. It's worth it.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:19 AM

17 posts, read 90,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamoore View Post
Welcome Ezio,

I would like to provide a counter-thought to the earlier post. I appreciate what Reactionary said in his post and I do believe that his post comes from a sincere place. There is an old expression about something being "true in general, but false in particular". I am about to be a resident of the area in question and I hope to assist others in improving an old textile mill village. I am moving from an historic district, Five Points, and I have nothing but great things to say for it. The neighborhood has experienced a drastic increase in property prices over the past five years. I am moving because my wife wants to have a larger house, with old South charm and located close to downtown. My new house was built in 1900 and possesses all the desired qualities, plus I can afford more space on my salary! The neighborhood has been around for a long time and many residents have been there for a long time. They are fiercely proud of their homes and they are tireless workers when it comes to improving it. The neighborhood received a poor reputation because of absentee landlords and their penchant for taking in anyone with a month's rent payment. That reputation is hard to erase, but many people are actively trying. I would propose that if you are looking for a good bargain, closeness to parks and downtown and desire to be a member of a walkable community, the northwest part of Huntsville may offer something for you. Good luck on your hunt and welcome to one of the best parts of the world, imo!
Sounds like a neighborhood ripe for revitalization. Any pictures of the neighborhood?

Old 03-11-2008, 11:30 AM

More:

Merrimack Hall

Merrimack Hall Photos - Historic Huntsville Pictures - Historic Merrimack Hall Photos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area