Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2018, 07:36 AM

3,040 posts, read 3,679,261 times

Advertisements

Sometimes these pics are used only as placeholders on the website. Lets hope this is the case here.
The hotel is great but the design is not. Lazy cookie cutter architecture is not what Huntsville needs in a prime location. There are many excellent designs out there in many cities that become distinctive for that city. This is just like similar hotel in Mobile, Memphis, Chattanooga. Why can't we have something different that will compliment the new VBC expansion and be a building one would want to see or go in.
Something like this
Courtesy of SPL Realty Partners
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 09:35 AM

Frontier Airlines has extended their schedule through the holidays into February.
Should be able to get some winter time deals. They also added Jackson Mississippi
to get service. Looks like they are filling in the blanks on the map.

Old 07-17-2018, 10:11 AM

396 posts, read 671,111 times
Is the city permitted input on buildings? Please...NO MORE COOKIE CUTTER BUILDINGS DOWNTOWN!

Old 07-17-2018, 12:07 PM

766 posts, read 1,129,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
The Westin was built at Bridgestreet because the developers convinced them that Bridgestreet itself was going to be a destination. Remember the Gondola rides and all that? They even incorporated condos in the upper floors because they thought people would want to live there......never sold a single one. It turned into just another shopping center and the hotel ended up being exactly what you stated, a business traveler hotel.

I don't see how The Westin could have been more than a hotel for business travelers, anyway. The only tourists coming to Huntsville are those visiting the Space and Rock Center and those folks are usually families with school aged kids who are not likely to pay the rates of a Westin Hotel. The families who visit the Space Center usually do their visits on the weekends during the school year, so any hotel here has to rely on business travelers to make it.

The Gondola at Bridge Street is still operating - it has been moved to just east of the bridge behind Chico's. The small train is operating, too. Bridge Street has become the destination for North Alabama for both locals and business travelers. You see this on the weekends when it's tough finding a parking space and during the week when Connor's and Texas de Brazil are crowded. Business travelers are the ones running up big checks at both of these restaurants and are the reason that they are still in business. Other than birthdays and anniversaries, how many locals are going to pay $50 per person to eat at Texas de Brazil on a Monday night?

Old 07-17-2018, 12:47 PM

13,518 posts, read 9,998,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
I don't see how The Westin could have been more than a hotel for business travelers, anyway. The only tourists coming to Huntsville are those visiting the Space and Rock Center and those folks are usually families with school aged kids who are not likely to pay the rates of a Westin Hotel. The families who visit the Space Center usually do their visits on the weekends during the school year, so any hotel here has to rely on business travelers to make it.

The Gondola at Bridge Street is still operating - it has been moved to just east of the bridge behind Chico's. The small train is operating, too. Bridge Street has become the destination for North Alabama for both locals and business travelers. You see this on the weekends when it's tough finding a parking space and during the week when Connor's and Texas de Brazil are crowded. Business travelers are the ones running up big checks at both of these restaurants and are the reason that they are still in business. Other than birthdays and anniversaries, how many locals are going to pay $50 per person to eat at Texas de Brazil on a Monday night?
That's true about the reason for the Westin ... I don't know of anybody who makes a trip to a shopping center and spends the night in a nearby hotel. Maybe around Christmas? Same thing for the hotel at the Galleria in B'ham. There are other reasons for staying in a hotel other than business ... when my son and his family visit they sometime stay in a hotel rather than staying here, and we do the same on occasion when visiting with them. But the overwhelming reason for hotel stays in Huntsville, and most other cities that aren't resorts, has to be for business.

Old 07-17-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldiver View Post
This. I think it is a much more attractive structure than the vaunted Drury, and is almost as tall (7 floors for the Hampton, 8 for the Drury.)

And it is a Hilton flagged hotel, which makes it more attractive to business travelers including Hilton Diamond members such as myself.

The VBC has been needing more rooms downtown and it seems that the day is coming:

New:
Curio : 117 rooms
AC at CityCentre: 150 rooms
Hampton Inn: 134 rooms (room count for H.I. in Chattanooga which looks similar).

Existing:
Embassy Suites: 295 rooms
Homewood Suites: Can't find count, but HS at Providence has 107.
Springhill Suites: Can't find count.
Springhill Suites has 149 rooms (see "Rooms" here: https://www.reservationcounter.com/h...SAAEgI0lvD_BwE)

Homewood Suites on Gallatin has 101 rooms (just Google "Homewood Suites Huntsville, then look for the one on Gallatin St).

Not sure I'd call the Drury "vaunted" but it's a pretty nice building, much like many other of their locations. The Springhill is plain-looking, if you want to see plain.

Regardless, I think it's a good thing to have additional hotels downtown. Not too long ago the only one downtown was the aged Holiday Inn. Downtown may not have any high-rises, but it's at least become more dense.

Old 07-17-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Springhill Suites has 149 rooms (see "Rooms" here: https://www.reservationcounter.com/h...SAAEgI0lvD_BwE)

Homewood Suites on Gallatin has 101 rooms (just Google "Homewood Suites Huntsville, then look for the one on Gallatin St).

Not sure I'd call the Drury "vaunted" but it's a pretty nice building, much like many other of their locations. The Springhill is plain-looking, if you want to see plain.

Regardless, I think it's a good thing to have additional hotels downtown. Not too long ago the only one downtown was the aged Holiday Inn. Downtown may not have any high-rises, but it's at least become more dense.
Huntsville needs around another 1000 rooms downtown, conferences shows business keep them booked most of the time. At least 4 hotels are planned or soon to be under construction downtown

Old 07-17-2018, 03:27 PM

654 posts, read 724,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I meant to have my tongue firmly in cheek with the Drury reference.

Thank you for the update. Yes the Springhill is very plain, made more so by the surrounding dusty acreage.

Old 07-17-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
Huntsville needs around another 1000 rooms downtown, conferences shows business keep them booked most of the time. At least 4 hotels are planned or soon to be under construction downtown
There's the AC, Hampton Inn, and Curio. What is the other one?

Haven't we heard for years that the property on Clinton, across from the VBC, is a prime hotel spot? It's the currently vacant Coca Cola plant. Think that'll ever come to fruition?

Old 07-17-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldiver View Post
I meant to have my tongue firmly in cheek with the Drury reference.

Thank you for the update. Yes the Springhill is very plain, made more so by the surrounding dusty acreage.
Ah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area