Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2023, 02:21 AM

13 posts, read 15,638 times

Advertisements

Nexus on Holmes is an apartment complex on Holmes, not dorms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2023, 08:27 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,200,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
That equates to $241,000 per student capacity. Kinda expensive for a combined living complex in this area. Also, assuming the new dorms are 200 sq Ft, and every one is a solo dorm, that’s more than $1,200 per sq Ft.
Again, kinda expensive.
Okay, it’s not dorms. Still that is a lot per square foot for housing. And we know it will be expensive in order repay that costs.

My point here is for that price point, there weren’t enough apartments being built. Obviously the market is college students and getting ready to charge even $1,500 per apartment will outprice college students.

Old 09-20-2023, 12:52 PM

11 posts, read 10,451 times
Quote:
Okay, it’s not dorms. Still that is a lot per square foot for housing. And we know it will be expensive in order repay that costs.

My point here is for that price point, there weren’t enough apartments being built. Obviously the market is college students and getting ready to charge even $1,500 per apartment will outprice college students.
It’s an apartment complex basically on campus. You should expect it to be expensive.

Old 09-20-2023, 10:32 PM

1,432 posts, read 1,619,886 times
Quote:
That equates to $241,000 per student capacity. Kinda expensive for a combined living complex in this area. Also, assuming the new dorms are 200 sq Ft, and every one is a solo dorm, that’s more than $1,200 per sq Ft.
Again, kinda expensive.
Quote:
The four-story community will include a mix of one-, two- and four-bedroom units and is slated to house undergraduate and graduate students, as well as UAH faculty and staff.
Nexus on Holmes will serve University of Alabama Huntsville students, faculty and staff.
https://www.multihousingnews.com/cap...n-60m-project/

Note current UAH student housing are a mix of 1, 2, 3, or 4 person suites.

Last edited by MisterEd51; 09-20-2023 at 10:44 PM..

Old 09-21-2023, 03:51 AM

13 posts, read 15,638 times
It’s really just an apartment complex and is open to people outside the university (I’ve seen a couple of articles that explicitly state it is open to others outside UAH, one is below). It’s definitely being built and marketed to students though which is great because it will help further develop a more traditional college experience for some UAH students.

https://hvilleblast.com/new-uah-stud...roundbreaking/

Old 09-21-2023, 08:11 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,200,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iveymac View Post
It’s really just an apartment complex and is open to people outside the university (I’ve seen a couple of articles that explicitly state it is open to others outside UAH, one is below). It’s definitely being built and marketed to students though which is great because it will help further develop a more traditional college experience for some UAH students.

https://hvilleblast.com/new-uah-stud...roundbreaking/
Understand that the likelihood may not be student, by design and by price point.

So based on price point, it will be higher income, possible post grad, out of school, and they would want to live in apartments overlooking the campus and campus gym?

The “dual use” aspect is a little too glassy eyed on this one. Time will tell.

Old 09-21-2023, 11:57 AM

51 posts, read 40,372 times
Quote:
Understand that the likelihood may not be student, by design and by price point.

So based on price point, it will be higher income, possible post grad, out of school, and they would want to live in apartments overlooking the campus and campus gym?

As a student at UAH for the past two years (who is still in on campus housing) I have to respond. We really don't care about the view, more about the location, and the location is great as it is basically on campus.

I predict when leasing opens up, there will be long lines to get in.

Old 09-24-2023, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriscoEGS View Post
As a student at UAH for the past two years (who is still in on campus housing) I have to respond. We really don't care about the view, more about the location, and the location is great as it is basically on campus.

I predict when leasing opens up, there will be long lines to get in.
Do live on campus currently? if so do you walk to all your classes? Some classes such as CS are a ways away from student housing.

When I went to UAH I only lived 2-3 miles away. I drove to all my classes.

Many years ago I went to a large college and lived in a dorm. I either walked or rode my bicycle to classes. I had to carefully plan getting around campus because it took up to to 30 minutes to walk from one side of campus to the other. I had my car parked in an assigned parking space about 6 blocks from my dorm. I normally only drove my car on weekends.

Old 09-25-2023, 01:56 PM

51 posts, read 40,372 times
I do live on campus, and I will either bike or walk to class. However if i have to go to something in either Cramer or SWIRLL I will likely drive or bike.

Old 09-26-2023, 02:59 PM

Quote:

They haven't said how much this housing will cost. I expect it to be comparable in cost to existing student housing. For example, here is what housing cost during the 2022-2023 school year:

Housing Semester Rates (undergraduate)
https://catalog.uah.edu/undergrad/fi...emester-rates/

Housing Semester Rates (graduate)
https://catalog.uah.edu/grad/financi...emester-rates/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area