Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 11:01 PM

442 posts, read 647,276 times

Advertisements

HUNTSVILLE, AL (WAFF) - While Stone Middle School, devoid of students for the last five years, has not been officially sold, Huntsville school leaders revealed during Thursday night's board meeting what the facility could become.

Former school could soon house brewery - WAFF-TV: News, Weather and Sports for Huntsville, AL

For the last few years, the school building has been a storage warehouse, holding excess desks, tables, chairs, and other equipment. By the end of September, the site could be on its way into the area's fast-growing craft beer industry.

The city school board voted to authorize Superintendent Casey Wardynski to execute a deal for the Stone Middle School and its grounds with developer Randall Schrimsher, who already bout almost four acres of the property back in January.

On the west end of the site, school system officials said, one tenant would be Huntsville-based brewery Straight to Ale.

"Currently there is a plan for new vertical construction toward the easterly section of the parcel that will house Yellowhammer Brewery, with parking lot and amphitheater-type area in the middle," said Chief Financial Officer Jason Taylor. "A gateway to the Entertainment District."

Taylor said they are still negotiating "minor terms and conditions" of the deal, but once finalized, Dr. Wardynski will be able to act as soon as possible.

Officials said the price for the site will be $1.139 million, and that the development plans include tearing down about 30,000 square feet of the old building. The majority of the school building will remain intact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 06:45 AM

410 posts, read 696,001 times
Was just going to post about this. I think this could be very cool with probably the two most successful local breweries in the same area anchoring an entertainment complex. An amphitheater in the middle sounds great. With Lowe Mill right there, you could have two very unique places close to each other. And being in Madison, it'd make my trip to Straight to Ale a few minutes shorter!

Old 08-08-2014, 07:58 AM

3,804 posts, read 6,171,306 times
So is Straight to Ale moving altogether, or will this be a facility for their canning operations?

Old 08-08-2014, 08:09 AM

33 posts, read 41,563 times
This is fantastic news if it materializes. Kudos to Wardynski!! Woot woot

Old 08-08-2014, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
So is Straight to Ale moving altogether, or will this be a facility for their canning operations?
That's what I was wondering. The news last night said something about Straight to Ale possibly being ready to discuss it today. If it's being called an entertainment complex of some sort, you'd think it'd be their main facility with tasting room, beer garden, etc.

Old 08-08-2014, 12:47 PM

Awesome!

Two craft breweries and concert amphitheater coming to old Stone Middle School campus near downtown Huntsville | AL.com

Old 08-08-2014, 12:52 PM

889 posts, read 2,398,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
They would move the entire operation to the Stone Middle School location. I happen to be a Stone alumnus and make my living selling craft beer. So I think this is awesome! So happy to see something new and interesting coming to West Huntsville.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesonic View Post
They would move the entire operation to the Stone Middle School location. I happen to be a Stone alumnus and make my living selling craft beer. So I think this is awesome! So happy to see something new and interesting coming to West Huntsville.
Might as well throw Wish You Were Beer II down there as well!

Old 08-08-2014, 01:40 PM

889 posts, read 2,398,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennhioland View Post
Might as well throw Wish You Were Beer II down there as well!

Old 08-08-2014, 03:04 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
I'm glad to see that location will never be used as a "school" again in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area