Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 01:49 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,446,906 times

Advertisements

cglover - what I'm asking is in the context of Columbia being (IIRC specifically) built to attract BRAC people. IIRC you are a BRAC family. What is it about Columbia that didn't attract you - or what is it about another area that was more attractive?

You've noticed that the developers may have overbuilt for BRAC. IMO the city / community has made some less than efficient decisions, based partly on rosy Army estimates and partly on self-induced hype.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 02:55 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,588,944 times
columbia elementary is a Madison school, so I wouldn't have a problem with that--I think I was mixing it up wtih a new HS down near Lake Forest that doesn't have a big population of students yet--sorry.

I'll have to double check it--I was talking about differences between High Schools earlier and might have transposed the schools in my head--not living there yet

I chose the Madison School district for our relocation as we loved the MS and HS and felt it was a fabulous fit academically and extracurricular-wise for our daughter.

Sorry for the confusion.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:01 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,446,906 times
cglover - Madison's Bob Jones High School is recognized as one of the best schools in the area

Old 02-27-2008, 03:06 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,588,944 times
all right--just double checked my tabs/favorites and refreshed my memory--it was Columbia HS in Huntsville that was asked about. I spoke to some people about it and it is a new school, small population, and no one had any idea about its future demographics etc. My daughter is seriously into theater and needs a good program to cover that base. Also, Bob Jones has stood the test of time. Building a school in anticipation of a HUGE WAVE of BRAC/IIRC/MDA people supposedly moving there might have been a bit hasty. Most of the people I know look at the schools in existence and compare the numbers before they make decisions about the schools. Also, if it is new, isn't there a wave of kids bused into that school that aren't truly zoned for it? Someone might have mentioned that to me in conversation. At one time I know the number of students at the school, but I have to look for that again before anyone can quote me

And really--there isn't a wave of us coming down. I'd say 15% of MDA is the max willing to make the transition because of the spouses also having high powered jobs in this area and they aren't willing to give that up. Also, they don't know what they are saying no to. We love the south -- lived in knoxville for 14 years before coming to the DC area for work. We love DC and all it offers, but we look forward to living a more laid back life in the south. Many people don't understand that Hville and Madison are truly great places to live with a wide variety of people -- many of whom are very well educated -- blame it on the movies-- but there's a stigma.

So no big wave--just a few very smart people coming down south because we know it'll be awesome to live in the south!

Some more will come in 2009-2010--but not the numbers that the city predicted.

Old 04-06-2008, 04:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,576 times
As a senior at Columbia, I've been here since the school first was started three years ago. While, like all schools that first start off, Columbia has some problems, you have to understand that we're working hard to overcome them. The IB program is an amazing idea, and I sometimes wish I was a sophmore so I could join. IB allows for its students to not only compete with the growing national work force in a technology based society, but also internationally. Students that complete these courses can go on to even skip their freshman year of college and start as a sophmore.

On the argument of the other two high schools of the area, they are large and often overpopulated. Here at Columbia, most of the teachers know their students by name, and we have more teacher interaction with us.

Noting also, that the Columbia campus is actually two schools combined--one, is Columbia, of course, and the other is New Century Technology High School. So if your student wants to advance more in the techology, medical and aerospace fields, NCT is a good school for you. Since both are found on the campus, students are emersted in both sides of the schools.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:41 AM

16 posts, read 84,806 times
Off topic but what is IIRC!?

Old 04-07-2008, 08:48 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,927,511 times
No one has ever told me but I think it means "If I Recall Correctly".

Old 04-07-2008, 09:07 AM

410 posts, read 1,654,391 times
Yes, it does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
View detailed profiles of: