Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 10:04 PM

889 posts, read 2,403,536 times

Advertisements

It's the house directly next to the Mazda dealership, not the 'keep out' house who are probably tired of gawkers. I almost hate that I brought this up actually since 99% people ride by and have no clue and maybe it's for the best. I hope I don't encourage lookie loos by reminding of this. I am a former high school classmate of of one of the victims though and think about this often. Bottom line is, the house needs to go. It can't be resold for sure. It was a very sad day in Huntsville history and two men are on death row for what happened there. I love the Providence development and to be sure, no area is without some historical drama I'm sure. But every time I drive by that house I think of this terrible day and think until that house goes away, I will continue to. But trust me, I eat at Mellow Mushroom and Brickhouse plenty anyway.

The Tuscaloosa News - Google News Archive Search

http://www.onenewspage.us/video/2011...e-Released.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 07:34 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,280,797 times
Interesting you brought this up...we just discussed this case in a risk management class recently, in regards to disclosure/stigmatized property. As well as the Wilson home (which is currently under contract).

Alabama NEEDS a disclosure law in regards to death in a property/stigmatized property, IMO. Many other states have this...yet we as agents in AL still have to be careful about "telling" as we can then "stigmatize" the property and open ourselves up for litigation. Seriously....it is already stigmatized. We have to ask our clients if such facts about a property would be a material fact to them in regards to purchase. Just as specific neighborhoods that have been repeatedly hammered by tornadoes have been stigmatized.

I love my job, but sometimes I don't

Old 03-31-2012, 11:30 AM

1,782 posts, read 3,287,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deesonic View Post
It's the house directly next to the Mazda dealership, not the 'keep out' house who are probably tired of gawkers. I almost hate that I brought this up actually since 99% people ride by and have no clue and maybe it's for the best. I hope I don't encourage lookie loos by reminding of this. I am a former high school classmate of of one of the victims though and think about this often. Bottom line is, the house needs to go. It can't be resold for sure. It was a very sad day in Huntsville history and two men are on death row for what happened there. I love the Providence development and to be sure, no area is without some historical drama I'm sure. But every time I drive by that house I think of this terrible day and think until that house goes away, I will continue to. But trust me, I eat at Mellow Mushroom and Brickhouse plenty anyway.

The Tuscaloosa News - Google News Archive Search

Cell Phone Murders: Convicted Killer to be - One News Page [US] VIDEO
Yeah it should be torn down and have a fast food joint of some kind go in it's place. It's prime property!

I remember hearing about those murders when I was a kid...

Thanks for the update

Old 03-31-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
Interesting you brought this up...we just discussed this case in a risk management class recently, in regards to disclosure/stigmatized property. As well as the Wilson home (which is currently under contract).

Alabama NEEDS a disclosure law in regards to death in a property/stigmatized property, IMO. Many other states have this...yet we as agents in AL still have to be careful about "telling" as we can then "stigmatize" the property and open ourselves up for litigation. Seriously....it is already stigmatized. We have to ask our clients if such facts about a property would be a material fact to them in regards to purchase. Just as specific neighborhoods that have been repeatedly hammered by tornadoes have been stigmatized.

Interesting. I know where the Wilson house is too and actually have friends that live the next block over. The unfortunate thing in that case is that the house is in an existing, and very nice subdivision. It's really not so easy to just remove the place. The "cell phone" house on the other hand, was actually in the country when that event happened. Now the city is all grown up around it and it sits there as an eyesore and constant reminder. According to property records, it's owned by the Mazda dealership. Wish they would just doze it.

Sorry to hijack. To get back on topic... There's plenty of development going on with the 72 corridor, much of which is actually Huntsville city limits all the way to County Line Road. But community leaders really need to address the traffic situation on 72 with all the new development. Access to 72 is downright treacherous in some areas. Getting in and out of the strip mall where Knucklehead's is located is particularly bad.

Old 03-31-2012, 12:37 PM

296 posts, read 695,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deesonic View Post
Sorry to hijack. To get back on topic... There's plenty of development going on with the 72 corridor, much of which is actually Huntsville city limits all the way to County Line Road. But community leaders really need to address the traffic situation on 72 with all the new development. Access to 72 is downright treacherous in some areas. Getting in and out of the strip mall where Knucklehead's is located is particularly bad.
The problem, besides need of additional lanes, is all the mid-block cross traffic on US72. If they would just limit left/u turns to corners with lights and double left turn lanes the safey would be better and traffic would flow much better. Except for the bridge over Indian Creek, I do not see why US72 cannot be widened all the way to Athens quite inexpensively using existing right of way.

Marc

Old 03-31-2012, 08:03 PM

1,645 posts, read 3,103,041 times
Maybe I'm crazy, but I'd like to see them limit the amount of crossovers on 72. Put in some turning lanes every mile or, a few lights and stop these people turning on a dime with cars going 60-70 mph on the road.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:29 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,185,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post

I don't know if there needs to be a law. I can't say I've ever heard of this, and it seems like most here haven't either. Given time no one remembers.

What I'd like is for it to be legal to tell people if a neighborhood is safe. That's information anyone can use. Unfortunately, I have heard that is federal law so the state can't fix it.

Old 04-01-2012, 12:08 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,280,797 times
Many states have disclosure laws in regards to a death in the home. If a violent crime was committed in a home, most buyers would want to know that.

It may not be a big deal to you...and that's fine...but to most, they would want to know. I know I sure would.

And, to be honest, the best information you can get on neighborhood crime is from the local police department. They can (and often will) tell you all you need to know And yes, for licensed agents, that does fall under Fair Housing laws.
Heck, if have a young family with kids who asks if there are lots of young families/kids in a neighborhood, I can't even answer that, as it violates Fair Housing. But we can direct you to where you can get that information.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:20 PM

329 posts, read 513,278 times
I know what house your talking about now. Wow! I never knew people were murdered there (then again I've only been in the area since 2010).

Anybody know what the house (or the remains of it) across the street? It's right next to the CVS.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingsoc75 View Post
I know what house your talking about now. Wow! I never knew people were murdered there (then again I've only been in the area since 2010).

Anybody know what the house (or the remains of it) across the street? It's right next to the CVS.
Those few houses that are left are remnants of when the area was mostly rural, not very long ago actually. Those were small farms I think. I remember when Madison Square Mall was brand new in the mid-80s and I used to think it was nuts to build that thing way out in the boonies like that. It's really amazing how much the 72 corridor has built up over the years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area