Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 12:08 PM

316 posts, read 784,606 times

Advertisements

Light Reading:

Granite Joint Venture Team Awarded Houston Light Rail Project. | North America > United States from AllBusiness.com (http://www.allbusiness.com/construction/heavy-civil-construction-mass-transit/12306848-1.html - broken link)

Houston METRO Light Rail on Vimeo

Urban Transport: April 10, 2010 Houston: New light rail contract for Veolia Transport in Houston

Train Wreck - Page 1 - News - Houston - Houston Press

The Definition of Failure: Houston’s Light Rail » The Antiplanner

Parsons lands Houston light rail DBOM contract*-*RailwayAge Magazine (http://www.railwayage.com/breaking-news-archive/parsons-lands-houston-light-rail-dbom-contract.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 02:40 AM

22 posts, read 69,765 times
Hmm, the East End line is such a waste of money. Those stations are just going to be infested with ghettoness.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:46 AM

1,408 posts, read 4,054,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyrob213 View Post
Hmm, the East End line is such a waste of money. Those stations are just going to be infested with ghettoness.
They aren't really building the rail for today, but for the future. Pretty much all of the inner loop will continue to change for the better in the next few years.

The East End line also passes near some neighborhoods that are already changing and appreciating.

I think it would of been better if the North Line would of gone straight up Main and past 610. It would of been closer to the Heights and also would of helped the areas north of 610 (610/Main/Airline.)

Old 06-16-2010, 06:58 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,055,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyrob213 View Post
Not really. There's a lot of development in that area, and potential development there as well. Like for starters the new Houston Dynamo stadium will be around there, and new hotels and restaurants have shown signs of interest. It's only a matter of time until other commercial markets look towards that are for revitalization.

However, that won't get rid of all the problems there, but it will substantially improve the area nonetheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Love View Post
I think it would of been better if the North Line would of gone straight up Main and past 610. It would of been closer to the Heights and also would of helped the areas north of 610 (610/Main/Airline.)
It does plan to go north of 610. (Check the pictures I have posted of Phase II & III above earlier in the thread) Eventually by Phase III expansion, the North Line will terminate at Houston Intercontinental Airport.

But maybe you mean something different from what I'm thinking?

Old 12-07-2010, 07:39 PM

23 posts, read 50,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
I need to really thank Scarface for the images for Light Rail (For the Phase II and Phase III pictures), here goes:

Houston Light Rail
Houston Now: (Phase I)

Houston in 2012: (Phase II)

Houston 2015-2018: (Phase III)

Okay I know this thread is only about Light Rail, but I think seeing a map for the future Commuter Rail is important too.

Houston Commuter Rail
Houston Commuter Rail (2016-2020):

^^ The Commuter Rail lines are in Orange and Purple, the ones in Blue are the Light Rail lines for Phase II. (See Phase II map above for detail)

The Commuter Rail lines will be connecting Houston to Galveston, Fort Bend County (Sugar Land, Missouri City), Tomball, The Woodlands, Conroe, etc...

Beautiful isn't it? I think it is!
Fantastic graph you have here. Very beautiful indeed!!!

Old 12-07-2010, 09:54 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,121,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Not really. There's a lot of development in that area, and potential development there as well. Like for starters the new Houston Dynamo stadium will be around there, and new hotels and restaurants have shown signs of interest. It's only a matter of time until other commercial markets look towards that are for revitalization.

However, that won't get rid of all the problems there, but it will substantially improve the area nonetheless.
Maybe, but it's too speculative in my opinion. I would prefer converting the East, SE, and North line to BRT and having a LRT backbone of the Main St. University, and Uptown Lines.

Money is too tight and I'd rather see this thing done right instead of trying to stretch money over that many lines.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:14 AM

31 posts, read 52,620 times
anyone have any updates on these future lines? i can't help thinking how altering these lines would be for Houston if they were built. And as far as funding goes; i read someone mentioned that some lines are waiting for funding. WHat does that actually mean? who funds these lines? how do they go about getting it and how did they fund the other lines? (This is my first post BTW after reading for years )

Old 05-24-2012, 12:43 AM

anyone?

Old 05-24-2012, 12:24 PM

391 posts, read 923,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate4l1f3 View Post
anyone have any updates on these future lines? i can't help thinking how altering these lines would be for Houston if they were built. And as far as funding goes; i read someone mentioned that some lines are waiting for funding. WHat does that actually mean? who funds these lines? how do they go about getting it and how did they fund the other lines? (This is my first post BTW after reading for years )
METROrail is funded partly by METRO and by the Federal Transportation Agency. The light rail expansion of the red line and the construction of the green and purple lines came from a $900M grant from the FTA. The red line extention will be ready by 2013, green and purple lines by 2014. All 3 are currently under construction. The blue and gold lines are waiting for funding to become available. Construction date will be announced once funding has been secured.

METRO has looked into commuter lines, but at this point it doesn't seem like a viable option for the METRO service area. Only Houston and a few select cities are members of the METRO area so commuter rail would not be mainted outside of this limited area. The Gulf Coast Rail District has an open feasibility study for commuter rail from Hempstead, TX to the IH-610/US-290 intersection. Unfortunately at this point there is no such agreement to utilize the existing rail line and the rail line from IH-610 on into downtown doesn't look like permission would ever be granted for commuter use. There is alot of red tape to clear up when attempting to use exisiting rail lines. It isn't as simple as lay down new rail lines. Unfortunately when it comes to commuter rail, the Greater Houston area may have to wait until at least the mid 2030's before we see it.

Hope this answers your questions.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyAusmus View Post
METROrail is funded partly by METRO and by the Federal Transportation Agency. The light rail expansion of the red line and the construction of the green and purple lines came from a $900M grant from the FTA. The red line extention will be ready by 2013, green and purple lines by 2014. All 3 are currently under construction. The blue and gold lines are waiting for funding to become available. Construction date will be announced once funding has been secured.

METRO has looked into commuter lines, but at this point it doesn't seem like a viable option for the METRO service area. Only Houston and a few select cities are members of the METRO area so commuter rail would not be mainted outside of this limited area. The Gulf Coast Rail District has an open feasibility study for commuter rail from Hempstead, TX to the IH-610/US-290 intersection. Unfortunately at this point there is no such agreement to utilize the existing rail line and the rail line from IH-610 on into downtown doesn't look like permission would ever be granted for commuter use. There is alot of red tape to clear up when attempting to use exisiting rail lines. It isn't as simple as lay down new rail lines. Unfortunately when it comes to commuter rail, the Greater Houston area may have to wait until at least the mid 2030's before we see it.

Hope this answers your questions.
Thanks!! you brought bad news but thanks anyways lol. If you ask me the commuter rails are the most important ones. To see them expanded all through the city and out to the suburbs would be a dream! Houston is soo stubborn on certain things!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston