Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2010, 10:55 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,959,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerGuy View Post
THANK YOU! Finally someone that knows the company as well as I do...high school buddy is a manager of one. I am telling you, it will be a long time before they expand outside the DFW area. Carl Van Fleet, VP, said it himself! This opening in Dallas will be very similar to when they first opened around their distribution center in L.A.. They were well established and very popular in the L.A. area for decades before they decided to expand within California alone. All of their locations today are served by their ONE distribution center in Baldwin Park. They have a 62 year history of being VERY CONSERVATIVE with the expansion around that center. Do not be surprised when they behave the same way here in Dallas with their new (second) distribution center. Will they eventually expand to Austin and Houston? I believe so. However, it won't be "shortly" after they open the first locations in Dallas. My money, and sources say...years.
Wait, how long did it take for In-N-Out to expand in Arizona/Nevada/Utah once they left SoCal? Weren't the locations there opened up pretty quickly? Why can't the same happen in Texas?

Old 06-02-2010, 11:33 AM

554 posts, read 1,197,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Wait, how long did it take for In-N-Out to expand in Arizona/Nevada/Utah once they left SoCal? Weren't the locations there opened up pretty quickly? Why can't the same happen in Texas?
It took around 10-15 years to leave the state of California after the first expansions outside of SoCal. When their son, Rich, took over in 1976 he began the expansion outside of SoCal. From the time they opened in 1948 to that time in 1976, they only had 18 locations. Once the expansion got underway it was not until 1992 that the first out of state location opened in Las Vegas, NV. I have been told that when they open up here in Dallas it will be like a reset button is pressed since they will be starting from scratch over here i.e. the new distribution plant. No one is saying that they never will expand to Austin or Houston. Just don't be shocked when they take a long time to do so. They want to maintain quality and their slow rate of growth.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:10 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
It took around 10-15 years to leave the state of California after the first expansions outside of SoCal. When their son, Rich, took over in 1976 he began the expansion outside of SoCal. From the time they opened in 1948 to that time in 1976, they only had 18 locations. Once the expansion got underway it was not until 1992 that the first out of state location opened in Las Vegas, NV. I have been told that when they open up here in Dallas it will be like a reset button is pressed since they will be starting from scratch over here i.e. the new distribution plant. No one is saying that they never will expand to Austin or Houston. Just don't be shocked when they take a long time to do so. They want to maintain quality and their slow rate of growth.
If InNOut ever changes thier policy of totally fresh it will become just another burger place. I have heard (again this comes from someone in the know, but is still just hear say) the granddaughter has now taken over or grandkids. They are more willing to expand.

Nita

Old 06-02-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
If InNOut ever changes thier policy of totally fresh it will become just another burger place. I have heard (again this comes from someone in the know, but is still just hear say) the granddaughter has now taken over or grandkids. They are more willing to expand.

Nita
The granddaughter, Lynsi, is the current President but will be given full power when she turns 35. It is weird. That is still 7 years off. Once she has it I do believe it is possible that she will greatly accelerate expansion. If she does I hope she does so wisely.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:25 PM

Has anyone heard anything as to when the construction will start on the distribution center? Probably not, but if so please share.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:30 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
The granddaughter, Lynsi, is the current President but will be given full power when she turns 35. It is weird. That is still 7 years off. Once she has it I do believe it is possible that she will greatly accelerate expansion. If she does I hope she does so wisely.
thanks TowerGuy, I knew she was in her 20s and had a little information, but not in to detail like you have provided. I too, how she uses her head. of course we would love to see IN-N-Out here, but don't want to see it in any form expect what we have known for 60 years.

As for the construction, all I have heard, i think I read it here, construction was to start this summer. I would guess it won't take long to build..

NIta

Old 06-05-2010, 09:44 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,959,819 times
Quote:
I'm asking how long did it take for them to expand in the Nevada/Arizona/Utah markets, once they left California. How many years was it? I ask this because, nowadays, companies expand quicker than they did thirty years ago. I think by the time their Dallas distribution enter is up and running, and they start opening their Dfw locations, Houston and maybe Austin will be announced. Easy publicity during the fanfare of the DFW locations.

Old 06-05-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
I'm asking how long did it take for them to expand in the Nevada/Arizona/Utah markets, once they left California. How many years was it? I ask this because, nowadays, companies expand quicker than they did thirty years ago. I think by the time their Dallas distribution enter is up and running, and they start opening their Dfw locations, Houston and maybe Austin will be announced. Easy publicity during the fanfare of the DFW locations.
LOL Scarface you just can't wait for In-N-Out to get to Houston, huh? I see what you're asking now. Ok uuuummm in 1976 they went beyond SoCal and it wasn't until 1992 that they took their first expansion outside CA. That was the year they opened in Vegas...then, er, 2000 they opened several locations in Arizona...then in 2004 they finally went outside of Las Vegas and opend a few locations elsewhere in Nevada like Reno and Sparks. Then in 2006 they opened in Utah. Each of those states only have a handful of In-N-Outs with most being in Las Vegas and Phoenix. SO, just taking Nevada alone, that was a space of 12 years frome Vegas to Reno and other locations in the state. I don't think it will be that long at all here in Texas. I'd be very surprised if it took them that long to go beyond Dallas. However, I wouldn't be surpirsed if it took 2 - 5 years. Time will tell.

Old 06-05-2010, 04:13 PM

In-N-Out Location Totals:

California: 197
Nevada: 16
Arizona: 26
Utah: 7
Texas: TBD

TOTAL: 246

Old 06-05-2010, 11:50 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,126,156 times
This was a topic of discussion at a birthday party I went to today. A bunch of us California transplants trying to convince everyone that In-N-Out coming to Houston would be a good thing. The back and forth was a lot like this thread. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston