Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 12:27 PM

554 posts, read 608,315 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I'm moving to Houston next month. Does Texas allow one to use a post-office box address on driver's license and/or registration ?

Some states allow this; some don't. For privacy purposes, I prefer to do this.

Also, which local Houston branch of the Texas DMV is best, in terms of waiting times and most pleasant environment (if pleasant is possible at all). I'm not at all averse to driving outside the city to save myself aggravation.

Thanks in advance for your considered replies. Cheers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 02:20 PM

1,211 posts, read 3,556,160 times
I'm pretty sure you have to have a physical address for your drivers license. We all have privacy concerns.

Old 05-23-2010, 02:29 PM

2 posts, read 45,771 times
You can use a friend's address for your license, but should get it changed as soon as possible after moving here; they will send you mail about your license and/or registration/inspection expiring, etc.
The best DMV to go to is the Townhurst location, here is their address:

Houston Townhurst

• Address1601 TownhurstHOUSTON, TX 77043-3226
Clean, friendly people, they have someone who asks what people wish to do there before letting them get in line, so if they have something that can be resolved quickly and easily, they won't clog up the line for example.

Old 05-23-2010, 02:30 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
For privacy purposes? This is America my friend. You don't have any privacy from your govt any more. No you can not use a PO box in Texas for a license. But to get around that, go to a private mail box store and get yourself a mail box there. Now what you have is a real address but rather then putting box 1234, you put Unit 1234 or apt 1234 or space 1234. The mail carrier has no problem with this. It's totally legal.

With a private mail box store they do not ID you beyond frustration like the post office does to you these days. And it's cheaper then a post office box.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:37 PM

1 posts, read 43,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibelian View Post
Hi all. I'm moving to Houston next month. Does Texas allow one to use a post-office box address on driver's license and/or registration ?

Some states allow this; some don't. For privacy purposes, I prefer to do this.

Also, which local Houston branch of the Texas DMV is best, in terms of waiting times and most pleasant environment (if pleasant is possible at all). I'm not at all averse to driving outside the city to save myself aggravation.

Thanks in advance for your considered replies. Cheers.

I totally agree with you! Were you able to do it?

Old 02-27-2011, 08:00 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,822,318 times
They won't let you do it if they figure out the private mail box isn't a residence, but if you are willing to lie, you can follow desertsun's advice and use Unit or Apt #.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:44 AM

53 posts, read 208,165 times
You need a physical address for your license but can add a mailing address as well.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:20 AM

76 posts, read 236,660 times
Sorry for bringing up this old thread. But I do have concerns. I had a cousin that was harassed after filing a complaint regarding an wrongful stop and detention. He didn't have proof to show which cops it was that were around his house, but he noticed he was being followed by cops near his neighborhood. And they were on his street pretty often. He's moving but doesn't want them to have access to where he moves to. And he and I both agreed that filing another complaint won't help, and IA stated they didn't find anything wrong regarding his first complaint.

question, so say he is going to live in an RV, how would he go about getting his DL info changed? Wouldn't he be allowed to get a P.O. Box? He's not really moving into an RV, but I suggested to say that so that the fuzz won't know where he lives. I know he could use a relatives or friends place, but he doesn't want any type of harassing or scoping out of his residence in any way.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:49 AM

682 posts, read 1,941,163 times
If you live in an RV, Texas still requires a permanent address. PO boxes are not allowed for drivers licenses, period.

If you don't live at the address you give for your DL, you run the risk of your DL being cancelled.

Had a friend that tried the private mail box store route mentioned above with a renewal. A few weeks after he had gone to the DPS to renew, he received a letter asking to provide proof that it was his address by providing a utility bill in his name before the license would be issued.

: Texas Administrative Code

Old 04-13-2014, 06:27 PM

76 posts, read 236,660 times
so if you're homeless, and can't afford a home and need to live out of your car for whatever reason, you have no friends or family in the city your're in, then you're screwed and can't drive.....well that sucks.

It sucks a person can't file a complaint without feeling they will be harassed. Maybe I'll tell him to look into being one of those sovereign citizen folks, lol, just kidding. Thats probably an entire headache on its own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: