Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2009, 05:47 PM

279 posts, read 1,164,258 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I saw a post about this prior but can't locate it now. I have out of state plates and registration. I'm now a Texas resident and have just obtained insurance good for Texas. Now i'm wondering. Is there a certain order and process to getting my car registered and inspected and obtaining a Tx license?
I live in the Galleria area so if anyone can tell me where and what to do and what order if any. I heard this could be a process and want to do it right so i'm not running around doing the back and forth thing. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 06:01 PM

40 posts, read 145,942 times
A Texas DL is not dependant on your cars status. When I get my car registered or inspected, I am pretty sure all I've had to show is insurance - they were not dependant on each other. The state of texas is glad to take your money even if you don't plan on driving the vehicle.

I know of people who have gotten in trouble for having cars parked in the yard that were not registered.

Welcome to Houston.

Old 05-31-2009, 07:58 AM

135 posts, read 567,011 times
Not true. I was there 2 days ago to get my Texas DL and they wanted proof of registration and insurance on any vehicles we owned. In addition they wanted a SS card and birth certificate along with my out of state DL. Was one of the worst processes I've ever seen in regards to obtaining a DL. Good luck OP.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:50 AM

2,075 posts, read 4,450,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasboi View Post
Hey all, I saw a post about this prior but can't locate it now. I have out of state plates and registration. I'm now a Texas resident and have just obtained insurance good for Texas. Now i'm wondering. Is there a certain order and process to getting my car registered and inspected and obtaining a Tx license?
I live in the Galleria area so if anyone can tell me where and what to do and what order if any. I heard this could be a process and want to do it right so i'm not running around doing the back and forth thing. Thank you
1. Take proof of insurance to anyplace that does state car inspections and get that done.

2. Take your inspection cert, proof of insurance, and car title to county tax office to get Texas registration.

3. Take your out of state license, birth certificate, social security card, texas registration and proof of insurance to a Texas drivers license office to get your Texas license.

That should be the process, but check here to make sure I got the details right: Texas Department of Public Safety - Courtesy, Service, Protection (http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/driver_licensing_control/movingtotexas.htm - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: