Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2007, 09:55 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,429,615 times

Advertisements

Use the Search feature!

I am stunned at how many repeat questions are asked, but worse, people answer them and then those same people are never acknowledged for their information. I do understand anonymity is the nature of the Internet.

If you are wondering about anything having to do with Houston, check to see if your question has already been asked here in the forum by using the Search feature. There are numerous responses to questions recently posted regarding ethnicities, specific suburbs, shopping, schools, property taxes, et al. A little legwork on your part may yield more than you could ever dream!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 11:41 PM

212 posts, read 1,274,235 times
Thank You mom

Old 06-07-2007, 06:28 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,695,832 times
Thank You!

Old 06-07-2007, 07:26 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,959,396 times
That is a very, very good point. I even saw in one thread where someone popped in and asked a question (always about moving, what areas are the best for shopping, best schools, is the area too liberal or conservative, will I be lynched for being a liberal in Texas, best areas for entertainment, etc.) that had already been answered earlier in the very same thread.. And what made it worse was that the title of the thread was the very same question as that asked of the person popping in.

I think we need a new term for these types; I propose we call them "DRIVE-BY's" because they simply drive by and take no time to look; they just toss their question into the mix without any real thought - much the same way as the newspaper arrives on your lawn.

And one more thing, there's a handy little tool on the Internet called "Google" where you can look at images of a city, demographics (citydata's own main website has very good info), and all kinds of information that is helpful. I think that these tools should be used in conjunction with the very useful discussions that are found on the CD forum.

Try and read a little folks! It's frustrating for some of us to pour our hearts out about a subject, go into the this and that of a particular area and then someone pop in and ask the very same question because they're too lazy to do their own research. I see the same questions asked over and over and over in the very same threads. "Where are the best schools?" etc... As mom2 said, use the SEARCH feature!

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now. Great post mom.

Last edited by Synopsis; 06-07-2007 at 07:37 AM..

Old 06-07-2007, 07:38 AM

21 posts, read 102,972 times
Smile Use the Search feature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Use the Search feature!

I am stunned at how many repeat questions are asked, but worse, people answer them and then those same people are never acknowledged for their information. I do understand anonymity is the nature of the Internet.

If you are wondering about anything having to do with Houston, check to see if your question has already been asked here in the forum by using the Search feature. There are numerous responses to questions recently posted regarding ethnicities, specific suburbs, shopping, schools, property taxes, et al. A little legwork on your part may yield more than you could ever dream!

I am new to this forum and I fully agree with you but.... It takes some time before you get familiar with how this forum works and I haven't really found out how to use all features yet. The explanation how to use this correctly could be better.

I have learned so much about Houston which I am so pleased with. We are moving to Katy in August from Norway and with help of this forum we are certain and confident that we bought a house in the right area.

After some time you find out who gives good replies and you go more after answers from these people than after the subject. Kunter

Old 06-07-2007, 08:48 AM

3,674 posts, read 10,616,120 times
Speaking of tips, is there a way to find out if older posts have answers to questions I want to ask, or should I just cross post to all the threads each time I forget something?

WAIT!!! DON'T THROW THAT VASE! YIKES!

Old 06-07-2007, 03:30 PM

212 posts, read 1,274,235 times
johnrex62 I would just ask your question, even if you think you have forgotten.

Mom may get upset, but I dont think most of us mind answering questions, even if it is over and over again.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:01 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,429,615 times
I don't get upset answering questions, charris. That wasn't my point.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:58 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,959,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
I don't get upset answering questions, charris. That wasn't my point.
Agreed. It's helping those that come here to ask questions. They'll probably find the answer they are looking for if they use the search feature charris.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston