Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 05:44 PM

267 posts, read 1,837,506 times

Advertisements

I've had two friends who graduated from LeTourneau several years ago and really liked it. They received business degrees and had their employers pay for it. I'm interested in going to school for their TEACH program or psychology degree.

Just wondering if anyone has a degree from this school (mainly TEACH) and if you were satisfied with the program. Did you find a teaching position after graduation? I don't have an employer so I can't get tuition reimbursement and this school is pretty expensive. I don't want to get deep into student loan debts if this school isn't too good or employers look down on it. Looking at other schools in the Houston area also.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 04:56 PM

Anyone anyone? Surely someone has been to this school. Thanks!

Old 03-18-2010, 05:34 PM

882 posts, read 2,249,303 times
Ive never heard of this university, are you sure its in Houston. A google search lead me that this university is in Longview,TX by Tyler. Thats not close to Houston at all. Its actually closer to DFW. You might want to post this in the TX forum.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:37 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,286,537 times
They have a weekend college or something to that effect in Houston that offers only a few select degrees at times conducive to working adults. I've heard of their Houston campus, but that's all I know sorry

Old 03-18-2010, 05:51 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,567,704 times
I've heard of it. It can't be any different than Univ. of Phoenix.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:32 PM

1 posts, read 6,294 times
Good Evening,I am an alumni of LeTourneau University and can tell you they are a quality, regionally accredited, Christian-based institution of higher education. LETU is not a University of Phoenix like JL referenced. If you look at the SBEC website statistics, you will notice that LeTourneau University is an SBEC approved provider of Texas teacher education and ranked #1 among private institutions in 2009 in certifying Texas teachers and ranked #14 overall. The demand for teachers in Texas right now is high and LETU makes every effort to ensure education graduates are prepared to obtain their certification and enter the classroom. While they do not gurantee teaching positions as part of the education programs, they make every effort to position the graduates in a way where there is the most opportunity. In addition to two locations in Houston, LeTourneau University also offers education, business, and psychology degrees at both the undergraduate and graduate levels in Austin, Dallas, Bedford, Longview (Main Campus with dozens of other traditional degree offerings), Tyler and completely online opportunities. With 64 years of history and thousands of alumni, I would hardly categorize LeTourneau University as a University of Phoenix and would strongly recommend contacting the Houston admissions department for more information and counsel. Good luck!

Old 03-19-2010, 04:57 AM

611 posts, read 2,237,906 times
LeTourneau is 100% NOT like the university of phoenix

LeTourneau has a full residentical 4 year campus in Longview with very high quality engineering programs the university was founded by the same LeTourneau that owned the large oil field equipment and machinery manufacturing company of the same name....LeTourneau

R. G. LeTourneau - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

while I do not have first hand experience I would be 100% positive that a degree from there would be fully accredited and I would trust the opinion just above mine that they will provide you all the education you need and more

definitely not anything like university of phoenix

Old 03-19-2010, 03:47 PM

Thanks for the replies. I have checked it out and seems pretty good. Tuition is too high though. Looking into UH and UHD also.

Old 03-19-2010, 05:54 PM

8,898 posts, read 20,038,851 times
It is much better that Univ. of Phoenix. Work for a fortune 500 company and many people get their MBA's from Letourneau and the company recognizes them. They don't really recognize Univ. of Phoenix. In fact, my boss told one employee to go to U of H over Univ. of Phoenix - told her to go to a real school that the company will recognize.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:06 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,286,537 times
UH is light years ahead of U Phoenix in terms of credibility in anything. UH and Tech are both compteting for Tier 1 funding to become the next Texas state flagship university after UT and A&M.

Also UH has a highly recognized part-time MBA program:

C.T. Bauer College of Business - University of Houston

And yes I have heard that Letourneau has a great academic reputation. It's just relatively expensive because it's a private school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston